Repair USB port on Samsung 4 Phone

Lizard2010

I have a Galaxy S2 and I replace the USB port about once a year. Pocket lint, salt air and BKK tropical sweat is, apparently, not good for them.

I do it myself since it requires no soldering. First time, I downloaded a Youtube video to guide me. There's dozens of them. First time, it took 15 minutes; 4th time, it took me 5 minutes.

I'd start with a YouTube video to see how difficult it is. The GF's S3 requires soldering and we've taken it to Fortune Town, and MBK. I prefer to do my own S2.

Wherever we're at, there it gets done. I wouldn't bother heading an hour across town to find a "better place" to get it done. Chinatown, MBK, Pantip, Fortune Town and I'm sure every major concentration of cell phone vendors will have someone who can fix it while you go for a coffee. Haven't been disappointed yet.

I have a Galaxy S2 and I replace the USB port about once a year. Pocket lint, salt air and BKK tropical sweat is, apparently, not good for them.

I do it myself since it requires no soldering. First time, I downloaded a Youtube video to guide me. There's dozens of them. First time, it took 15 minutes; 4th time, it took me 5 minutes.

I'd start with a YouTube video to see how difficult it is. The GF's S3 requires soldering and we've taken it to Fortune Town, and MBK. I prefer to do my own S2.

Wherever we're at, there it gets done. I wouldn't bother heading an hour across town to find a "better place" to get it done. Chinatown, MBK, Pantip, Fortune Town and I'm sure every major concentration of cell phone vendors will have someone who can fix it while you go for a coffee. Haven't been disappointed yet.

Thanks for the information

Unfortunately I Am In Chiang Mai Not BKK

I've never heard of such a thing.

Once a year?

Do you do it even if it's not broken?

Once a year?

Only when it needs it. When the battery drains in an hour or two, I do a factory reset to get rid of all the creeping apps. If that doesn't work, I replace the USB port. That's never failed.

Replacing the battery helps a little but the new batteries don't ever solve the rapid discharge problem.

I've dissected the old one a couple of times and the terminals do corrode and there is previously damp pocket lint compacted in the bottom of the socket. I never tracked the exact time, but I've done it 4 times in 4 years. Seems to be shorter intervals when I'm working a lot offshore. I do sweat a lot...

Once a year?

Only when it needs it. When the battery drains in an hour or two, I do a factory reset to get rid of all the creeping apps. If that doesn't work, I replace the USB port. That's never failed.

Replacing the battery helps a little but the new batteries don't ever solve the rapid discharge problem.

I've dissected the old one a couple of times and the terminals do corrode and there is previously damp pocket lint compacted in the bottom of the socket. I never tracked the exact time, but I've done it 4 times in 4 years. Seems to be shorter intervals when I'm working a lot offshore. I do sweat a lot...

If you have creeping apps....you have a virus. Buddy of mine had same problem with his "samsung." Did factory resets everything and after a short amount of time turned off they would sneak back on again, chinese knockoffs are famous for these viruses and you can never get rid of them. If your battery drains that quick, its a bad battery or loke you said apps that continue to run and drain resources. I dont understand how replacing a usb port could ever fix either of your issues. Kinda apples and oranges

I'd get something like this....

https://www.pixavi.com/product/mobile-devices/intrinsically-safe-smartphone/

Or if Intrinsically safe isn't so much of an issue, this:

http://www.catphones.com/en-gb/news/press-releases/cat®-phones-unveil-new-cat®-s30-smartphone-exclusively-at-showstoppers,-ifa-2015/

s30.jpg

Boasting superior rugged credentials throughout its design, the S30 includes anything from an easy-grip casing and shear strength material to IP68 and Mil SPEC 810G certification. The waterproof tough phone also boasts long battery life and glove-on working technology and comes with the latest version of Android (Lollipop).[/size]

Key features of the Cat S30 include:

Large Capacity Battery

Drop Proof to 1.8 Meters

Water, Dust and Shock Proof

Glove-On Working Technology

Wet-Finger Tracking Technology

Oil & Grease Resistant, Shear Strength Material

Corning® Gorilla® Glass 3 Screen

Retailing at 329 EUROS, the S30 will be available from September, more information available at www.catphones.com.

Wet finger tracking technology. Oo er Missus.

You can also go to a Samsung Service Center. in Chiangmai.

Main one is downtown and one at Promenade ground floor.

Thanks for the information

I Googled Samsung Service Center. in Chiang Mai.

Location was North of the Moat

I also found another CM Thai Visa Post

They charge an extra 1000 baht for Non Thai Phones

So looks like a visit to Pantip Plaza

I'd get something like this....

My next phone will be a Sony Experia. Completely immersible... Some of the guys on the platforms use the Sony's and they love them.

But this semi-antique Galaxy S2 just won't crap out on me... At 400 baht for a USB port every year (part only), it's hard to justify binning it- even if the teenie boppers on the MRT look at me with pity every time I pull it out...

I dont understand how replacing a usb port could ever fix either of your issues. Kinda apples and oranges

My working theory: The corrosion and salt buildup (from sweat and sea air) on the tiny little terminals shunts current between the terminals, and the closed circuit drains the battery. Didn't seem reasonable to me, either- until I dissected one of the old micro USB ports and found the terminals green and white with salt and corrosion. Pocket lint holds the moisture in, accelerating the process.

Upate

I sprayed the terminal with mos Spray

I have spare batterys

So will see how long before it plays up again

I wish i had ny Electrical Spray i used to have back home

Worked a treat may have to look into it

Maybe get my son to give the photo so i can show who ever can understand what i want

Good Old Ozzie stuff does work

Archived