Public wants to directly elect PM: poll

rooster59

Public wants to directly elect PM: poll

BANGKOK: A new Bangkok Poll survey has shown that most people want to directly elect the country's prime minister.

Some 73 per cent of respondents preferred that option, compared to 22 per cent who want the prime minister elected by Parliament.

Conducted by Bangkok University's polling centre, the survey involved 1,229 people aged 18 and over from all regions of the country.

The respondents agreed with a number of proposals by the Constitution Drafting Commission, such as having one ballot for both the constituency and party-list elections, a lifetime ban on convicted corrupt politicians contesting elections, and the mixed-members apportionment voting system.

Some 87 per cent of respondents agreed that using only one ballot would be easier for voting.

Seventy per cent agreed that convicted corrupt politicians should be banned from contesting elections for the rest of their life, while 61 per cent preferred the MMA system to the old voting system but 27 per cent did not.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Public-wants-to-directly-elect-PM-poll-30272494.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-11-07

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well blow me down with a feather. A 77 year old veteran of constitution writing who is so good at it he has to keep on writing new ones, runs into a bit of deserved flak over his latest effort and up springs a poll that shows that, really, people think he's on the right track. Why am I not surprised...................

Edited by thelonius

This clearly is evidence of biased polling, as I am sure 99.7 of all respondent where happy with whatever Uncle Too wants.

Yet another example of why the media and the non-conformist must be controlled.

The sarcasm is richly merited but something that stinks to high heaven is apparent here.

Does anyone else have the sensation that like the proverbial frog one is being boiled to death but is not fully aware because the water is being heated very slowly.

Here we have an example of an apparently respectable newspaper and an apparently respectable university conniving at an astonishing set of lies - but without the slightest hint of the dishonesty involved.

God help us all and God help Thailand.

Think the 73 % figure is probably right. In any case, more pertinent is the overwhelming push for systemic rectification.

More importantly, the comment about 'direct election' of prime ministers needs a forum response. I was under the impression this was a consensual inner government/cabinet appointee, Westminster system typically, but are there other examples where a PM is directly elected? Otherwise it would be a presidential figure and a constitutionally different entity, no?

Edited by optad

This clearly is evidence of biased polling, as I am sure 99.7 of all respondent where happy with whatever Uncle Too wants.

Can't possibly imagine Bkk uni sending students all over Thailand to get a poll study done. So most likely every person in the poll was in Bkk at the time. That in itself is biased polling. Just as any other poll being announced in Thailand can not be trusted as factual. This one is also hogwash.

Yea right so Yingluck,who had never held public office,was elected "Clone PM" in the absence of Brother previous PM Thaksin,(according to Thaksin)

,who alledgedly spent many hours holding Skype Cabinet meetings.

And the Public wants to Directly elect PM, if it wasn't so serious a situation it would be laughable!

It's hard but I think I got it!

Edited by MAJIC

I thought this subject was well and truly put to death a long while back , what a great way to endorse corruption with a PM being elected by Parliament and the palm of the hand trick , let the people decide , something so simple , Christ this just makes u so sick in tired of the B/S emanating in Thailand....................coffee1.gif

How bad for the soldier......now it will turn out again for PT.....it hurts him for sure

Actually its bad for PT because this way the big boss in Dubai has no control over who becomes PM if the PTP wins. So he can't have a clone or someone he trust if the public does not like him / her.

Think the 73 % figure is probably right. In any case, more pertinent is the overwhelming push for systemic rectification.

More importantly, the comment about 'direct election' of prime ministers needs a forum response. I was under the impression this was a consensual inner government/cabinet appointee, Westminster system typically, but are there other examples where a PM is directly elected? Otherwise it would be a presidential figure and a constitutionally different entity, no?

Absurd the public elect a PM what if the democratically elected Parliament cannot get on with him/her?

or are they really talking about a P*********** (Obama style)?

How bad for the soldier......now it will turn out again for PT.....it hurts him for sure

Actually its bad for PT because this way the big boss in Dubai has no control over who becomes PM if the PTP wins. So he can't have a clone or someone he trust if the public does not like him / her.

THat's the point: people will know - as before - who will be good for Thailand and will develop Thailand - as before...and it will never ever a soldier! Since more than one year already only words, promises, threats....But no results. Do you really think Thais are too stupid to see which party/leader will move Thailand forward?

What a silly post rooster. The current PM is here to stay and that' it. He's worked hard to get Thailand back up and running again following disruptive security problems created by red shirt thugs.

Khun Prayuth Chan o cha is the Prime Minister of Thailand.. wai2.gif

I hope the meaning is more sarcastically?

In fact he is pretending working hard. But where are the results. Since 18 months only hot air and threats. And don't forget: he's the self appointed leader only, not elected! He's just a leader of a a junta. An episode in Thailand's history. Not worth to mention.

Yea right so Yingluck,who had never held public office,was elected "Clone PM" in the absence of Brother previous PM Thaksin,(according to Thaksin)

,who alledgedly spent many hours holding Skype Cabinet meetings.

And the Public wants to Directly elect PM, if it wasn't so serious a situation it would be laughable!

It's hard but I think I got it!

don't laugh: it's only very obvious who's been able to rule this country...

media and the non-conformist must be controlled.

why...??? Because they are telling the truth? The truth you don't like? Easy for you: turn around and leave the country. Next destination North Korea???

What a silly post rooster. The current PM is here to stay and that' it. He's worked hard to get Thailand back up and running again following disruptive security problems created by red shirt thugs.

In fact he is pretending working hard. But where are the results. Since 18 months only hot air and threats. And don't forget: he's the self appointed leader only, not elected! He's just a leader of a a junta. An episode in Thailand's history. Not worth to mention.

I respect you and I respect your valued opinion. He was sworn in by the honorable HMK. Before he came to power it was anarchy to say the least, killngs, shooting and no stability whatsoever, remember the then cloned PM who was there only because of her criminal brother couldn't restore law & order so someone with some balls had to intervene. just my opinion. :)

I respect you and I respect your valued opinion. He was sworn in by the honorable HMK. Before he came to power it was anarchy to say the least, killngs, shooting and no stability whatsoever, remember the then cloned PM who was there only because of her criminal brother couldn't restore law & order so someone with some balls had to intervene. just my opinion. smile.png

I'm very much convinced that we were not told the truth about Mr. T. It's only one side of the coin. I think there was a group I will not name who wanted him extradited. My opinion...wink.png

media and the non-conformist must be controlled.

why...??? Because they are telling the truth? The truth you don't like? Easy for you: turn around and leave the country. Next destination North Korea???

Sometimes sarcasm is lost on some people ;-)

Can't possibly imagine Bkk uni sending students all over Thailand to get a poll study done. So most likely every person in the poll was in Bkk at the time. That in itself is biased polling. Just as any other poll being announced in Thailand can not be trusted as factual. This one is also hogwash.

Have you never heard of a poll being conducted by telephone or perhaps by email? I know the BKK Post conducts surveys on their website.

There are 3 different methods for you plus students physically conducting the survey gives you 4 different methods.

Now what the survey question (s) were of who was surveyed and where I have no answer for you. If you want the answers to that, best you talk to the people who owned and ran the survey. You may not get a response or perhaps they will not tell you but the best of luck in trying.

Have you never heard of a poll being conducted by telephone or perhaps by email? I know the BKK Post conducts surveys on their website.

There are 3 different methods for you plus students physically conducting the survey gives you 4 different methods.

Now what the survey question (s) were of who was surveyed and where I have no answer for you. If you want the answers to that, best you talk to the people who owned and ran the survey. You may not get a response or perhaps they will not tell you but the best of luck in trying.

I don't know how they do it in Thailand, but in western countries this type of survey is usually made by phone.It could have been a costly one because I guess it takes quite a long time to explain to the respondent by phone what the MMA system is. If they did! :)

"following disruptive security problems created by red shirt thugs"

and there's me thinking it was the yellow shirts blocking the streets & government buildings and causing havoc in Bangkok as well as preventing voting at the ballot box (which should have been guarded by the police/army and wasnt)......isn't this the disruptive security problems you mean?

But if the PTP wins and is able to command a majority the PM whether elected or appointed is effectively subject to its wishes.It's Thaksin's influence over the PTP that's the issue for you.

To counter that influence it would be necessary for the main opposition party to be completely overhauled and better reflect the aspirations of all Thai people.

But the knuckle dragging tendency apparently don't have the wherewithal to understand this, preferring to dribble and rant about the Man in Dubai.

I respect you and I respect your valued opinion. He was sworn in by the honorable HMK. Before he came to power it was anarchy to say the least, killngs, shooting and no stability whatsoever, remember the then cloned PM who was there only because of her criminal brother couldn't restore law & order so someone with some balls had to intervene. just my opinion. smile.png

absolute nonsense same argument used by Stalin, Mugabe and... all the rest "I am here to keep the peace I am the ONLY one who can save you please don't bother me with democracy..." I'm afraid even my 12 year old niece get's it but you seem not to IMHO

I could see politicians of all stripes opposing this. It would take them out of the loop for brown envelopes in this matter.

Regarding phone polls, in 1948 all the polls said Dewey would win and they were based on phone polls. People who supported Truman without phones were never called (of course). Truman won fyi. An internet poll would be even more skewed I would think. Boots on the ground the way to do it.