Danish Resident in knife-incident with watch-seller at Pattaya Beer Bar

Jonathan Fairfield

The Dane looks like a calm and reasonable chap in the photo. He's 50? Must have had a tough life.

Need age of wife to get the whole picture........hahahaha.

Hard life-the guy doesnt look a day under 70. I know what you mean.

I know the man personally,,, you'd be very hard pressed to find a nicer person... So, maybe he did tell the hawker to F off, after maybe saying, "no thank you" half a dozen times.... (I don't know as I haven't spoken to him since this) How long SHOULD someone have to put up with being hassled while out relaxing?,,, And if so,, THAT warrants the <deleted> to pull a knife?....

Edited by Adeeos

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The watch seller was probably offended by some somewhat impolite behavior. Of course I wasn't there so I don't know, but I do know that with too many of the kind of people working in the tourist industry in Pattaya it takes very little to nothing to commit a grievous offense. Best not to even look at any watch seller and without even speaking just wave your hand a little to indicate, "No thank you." Engaging in any way, such as making eye contact or showing any more animation in your expression than a poker face and you will get pestered for at least a minute. Show anything more than utter disinterest and they think you are playing some bargaining game with them. Just totally disengaging seems to work most of the time for me.

Edited by Shaunduhpostman

perhaps he was trying to sell the knife?facepalm.gif

and prove how sharp it was...

The Dane who runs a business in Thailand probably told the hawker to go away with words he understood.

Just surprised this does not happen more often to bar and restaurant owners and staff who try to ban these "pain in the butts" from their establishments.

Edited by Basil B

I've occasionally sat outside bars and have seen p*ssed-up farangs just say "#@$! off" to vendors who have done nothing worse than show their wares with a smile.

It doesn't surprise me that some get knifed.

Wow; thirteen people (poster and likes) seem to think it is SOP to be threatened and occasionally stabbed with a knife in Thailand for telling someone to F off.

Perhaps they don't think it's OK but, like me, they know that Thailand is an extremely dangerous place to tell anyone to F off.

In Thailand words (and gestures) are frequently lethal.

I've heard that it's something to do with "face", whatever that is. Probably just some silly "foreign" thing.

just act completely disinterested and learn to say "No thank you" politely in Thai. Works very time.

Yeah, it works with the Thais. But most of the watch guys are Indian ... at least so in BKK ... and they are much more persistent.

My pet peeve is when I'm trying to eat my food at a street-side restaurant and the a--holes shove a watch in my face and hold it there until I react.

wow….this place gets more and more insane by the day.

And above this post was a picture of a condo for sale at 3,690,000B high rise in Pattaya on the24th floor. Are people buying still or are people just trying to leave. Sorry about this but just had a pleasant evening down my local way up north after visiting the rellies in Nan for a samsong round the camp fire.

flame style post and response removed.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

wow….this place gets more and more insane by the day.

that why pattaya a no go place for me its a nut house

usually i hit it for 2 weeks max and then Im glad to get the hell out.

I'm down to three days max... any more than that and I'm just angry and disgusted by just about everything I see in (IMO of course) the worst tourist destination in Thailand!

In the uS carrying a knife with a blade exceeding 4 inches is a FELONY

even if you don't use it !

WRONG! There are some US state laws that prohibit possession or carrying any knife, classified as a switchblade. But there are more states that do not restrict ownership or possession, if it does not violate federal law.. A few states and local jurisdictions may prohibit concealed carry, of any knife or knives over certain blade lengths and can restrict where you can be, when you have a knife, on your person. But to make a blanket statement, that carrying any knife with a blade length over 4" is a felony, is absolutely incorrect.

I'm pretty sure the farang said something very stupid to provoke a 16 year old boy to pull a knife.

So your usual reply is "probably", but now you are "pretty SURE" the farang is to blame. You Thai apologists should get a life.

.......it seems like this jackass....or another jackass watch vendor had done this several times before....

....and it had been suggested that either the foreigners were exaggerating....or for some sick reason...deserved to be attacked....

...an attack with a knife ....as far as I know....is 'attempted murder'...

.......and 'selling fake watches'....out in the open......

.......<deleted> has changed or gotten better then.....

I've occasionally sat outside bars and have seen p*ssed-up farangs just say "#@$! off" to vendors who have done nothing worse than show their wares with a smile.

It doesn't surprise me that some get knifed.

Excuse me, are you blaming the victim here?

So you believe the 16 year old boy just pulled the knife because the farang was polite and said sorry I dont want to buy ?

Do you really believe that's what happened? Well we don't know so we can only speculate, but I put my money on the Dane said something more than sorry .

The kid waved watches in Lar's face, about 5 times, after being politely told "no" all 5 times,,, finally on the 6th time, Lars smacked his hand on the table and said, "NO!",, And the kid then pulled a knife... So the victim is to blame?