Flash Floods hit Pattaya…..again!

webfact

Flash Floods hit Pattaya…..again!

flood-4.jpg?resize=610%2C393

PATTAYA: -- A period of heavy and sustained rainfall on Sunday afternoon was going to have only one outcome, and as predicted flash floods caused temporary chaos around Pattaya City.

The rains began at 2.30pm and within 15 minutes 30-50 cms of flood water had caused chaos in the usual hotspots, including the Sukhumvit Road, which forced some to abandon their vehicles.

Other areas which suffered severe flooding were Pattaya Third Road and once again, despite the installation of extra pumps, Pattaya Beach Road succumbed to the heavy rain.

Source: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/218992/flash-floods-hit-pattaya-again/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2015-11-09

Giant pumps with small pipes would not work...

Have anyone seen canals in the Pattaya district?

south pattaya canal runs parallel to soi 16 then goes left behind soho square and past siam bay shore hotel before reaching a pumping station just past the rocket ball site.

The pumps on Beach road are p,,s,,g against the wind!!I noticed that there does not appear to be a priming valve on the pump just a blanked of spot so how can the pump function at 100%if you cannot prime it?There should be a foot valve which would prevent water flowing back into the drain and keeping the pump primed ,it would have a better chance of being useful that way!!!

Most of Pattaya is higher than the beaches area (both Pattaya and Jomtien beaches). So the water from central area flows down the storm drains to the beach area. Problem is, the pipes at the beaches are clogged. Certainly with trash, but probably with sand too. Evidence? Watch the storm grates in the streets above the beaches. The water actually flow OUT of these after it's rained for a while because the outlets are all clogged and cannot pass the volume of water that the rainstorm is producing. So, in Pattaya, the beach road floods because water exiting the grates up on 2nd road floods down the soi's towards beach road which is conveniently constructed a bit lower than the surrounding area. It then becomes Beach Canal! The soi's leading down to it are great Force 4 rapids, sometimes taking motor bikes and people down with the water. Great fun. Jomtien Dongtan Beach has special help because there's a storm drain all along the walking path. Problem here is that drain is conveniently located about 5 centimeters above the surrounding pavement so the water doesn't intrude into the drain system until the walkway becomes flooded. Then, since the drain itself is totally plugged as previously described, the whole area becomes one big puddle. TIT

and now Pattaya is, once more, squeaky clean.

It has been refered to as the annual douche by some of the locals, but it seems to happen on a more regular basis in todays lack of garbage /waste control and regulation enforcement.

Why does Pattaya One continually refer to Sukhumvit as the Sukhumvit Road?

It's a British thing. Brits omit the word "the" before hospital ("Mr Z

was in hospital for a week") and, rather than waste it, they insert

it before street names.

As to Pattaya's common floods, didn't the Mayor call this a

World Class City--the Asian Riviera?

Thanks. For some reason they only seem to use "the" with "Sukhumvit Road," but not with other road names. e.g. from the same article in the OP:

"Other areas which suffered severe flooding were Pattaya Third Road and once again, despite the installation of extra pumps, Pattaya Beach Road succumbed to the heavy rain." -- Not "the Pattaya Third Road" nor "the Pattaya Beach Road."

Let's not go off on a tangent and derail the thread. I was just curious. I'm satisfied to learn it's some British English thing.

With all the water that streams down the hill during the frequent storms, can anyone rationally explain why they are building an underpass on Sukhumvit road and not a flyover; its hardly an area of natural beauty. Can it be the expensive, but uselessly located, tourist trap outlets recently opened in this area that don't want a flyover near their premises?

NB Not "the Sukhumvit" - this is probably Tinglish not British English.

Edited by MiKT

Neither will small brains with big ideas. You want canals go to Venice.

I prefer to refrain from telling others where to go or estimating the size of their brains. When I do either, it is usually myself that is made a fool of.

Neither will small brains with big ideas. You want canals go to Venice.

I prefer to refrain from telling others where to go or estimating the size of their brains. When I do either, it is usually myself that is made a fool of.

The problem here is that nobody estimated the size of the drains!