Suvarnabhumi Airport expects 160,000 passengers/day during high season

webfact

Suvarnabhumi Airport expects 160,000 passengers/day during high season

suv.jpg

BANGKOK, 9 November 2015 (NNT) – More than 100,000 passengers are expected to pass through Suvarnabhumi Airport on a daily basis during the high season.

The director of Suvarnabhumi Airport said the airport will be handling up to 160,000 passengers a day during winter which is a high season. The high season starts on October 25th, 2015 and will end on March 26th, 2016. During this period, the director said there will be a total of 969 flights a day, 96 of which will be passenger flights, 9 cargo flights, and the remaining 19 flights will be under a codeshare agreement.

A codeshare agreement is an aviation business arrangement where two or more airlines share the same flight.

Suvarnabhumi Airport is the largest airport in Thailand and serves as an aviation hub in Southeast Asia that attracts airlines from across the globe and leads the way to countries in South and Southeast Asia.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-11-09 footer_n.gif

During this period, the director said there will be a total of 969 flights a day, 96 of which will be passenger flights, 9 cargo flights, and the remaining 19 flights will be under a codeshare agreement.

Can anyone see the problems this Director has with numbers rolleyes.gif

To reach 160,000 per day, assuming an average of 200 passengers per flight, there would have to be 800 flights.

With 96 planes, we'd be looking at 1666 average. Those must be some massive jumbo jets from the middle east no one's every heard of.

OR it may be a typo in the article.

Sorry but when I went to New York recently, both on the way in and the way out, the airport was really quiet. Hardly any planes taking off and landing, its a ghost town compared to NY and the transit ariports. When I came back on the 2nd, only one runway was being used. We were taking note, because in JFK, planes come in and land two at a time on parallel runways with hardly any time between flights. There are four runways there and JFK is only one three major airports there. There is no way there are 800 flights a day at BKK. for that to happen , there would need to be a flight taking off or landing every 1.8 minutes for the full 24 hours. That doesn't happen, not even close. The only reason it ever seems busy there is because everyone is squished into the same area after getting off flights.

Original ungarbled article here. The inept translator has confused 'airlines' with 'flights'.

The 969 flights per day is an accurate figure, but it includes code shares, so the actual number of flights is probably around 400. That's not an especially large number for a 24-hour airport. Capacity at Suwannaphum is 76 flight ops (i.e. takeoffs and landings) per hour.

Yes it is a ghost town created by the governement and there little friends at immigration

And his still ranting about economy is climbing and its all good news for Thailand. He has not stamped those useless immigration operators at all. In fact nothing has changed except for a new VISa that is nothing special

They used the bombing as a excuse to push white men more and now they will pay the price

LOOSE BAHT

Sorry but when I went to New York recently, both on the way in and the way out, the airport was really quiet. Hardly any planes taking off and landing, its a ghost town compared to NY and the transit ariports. When I came back on the 2nd, only one runway was being used. We were taking note, because in JFK, planes come in and land two at a time on parallel runways with hardly any time between flights. There are four runways there and JFK is only one three major airports there. There is no way there are 800 flights a day at BKK. for that to happen , there would need to be a flight taking off or landing every 1.8 minutes for the full 24 hours. That doesn't happen, not even close. The only reason it ever seems busy there is because everyone is squished into the same area after getting off flights.

Correct Sir

Yes it is all a show and there to silly to admitt that they have dispicable attitudes and are not polite at all. One out of 10 shocks you. The rest do not even greet you

Shocking service

Its very easy to check the number of flight landing or taking off.

Go here for arrivals (landings):

http://suvarnabhumiairport.com/en/3-passenger-arrivals

And here for departures:

http://www.suvarnabhumiairport.com/en/4-passenger-departures

I selected the Nov 9, 15:00-16:00 and counted 28 landings and 24 departures. Total = 52 flight per hour.

Of course at night there are almost no flights.

Edited by soomak

160,000 is both arrivals and departures

Exactly. If you read the Matichon article, it's also clear that it's the maximum they expect on the busiest days of the high season.

I'm no fan of Suwannaphum but given that it's now the 10th largest airport in the world in terms of passenger traffic, I'd say AoT do a pretty good job of running it. It's certainly a whole lot better than the last two Western airports I used, Heathrow and LAX. And the AoT people I've dealt with over the years for work have been both helpful and professional, which is more than I can say for some SE Asia airport authorities.

This weekend it was not busy on Swampy.

But it needs bigger and better smoking rooms, i don't want to sit there when the chinese are all fuming in the ashtray infront of me.

Changi has great smokinggardens, Thailand has dirty small dark rooms for smokers.

This weekend it was not busy on Swampy.

But it needs bigger and better smoking rooms, i don't want to sit there when the chinese are all fuming in the ashtray infront of me.

Changi has great smokinggardens, Thailand has dirty small dark rooms for smokers.

All the respect the dirty habit deserves lol

I find it really hard to believe suwanaphumi is the 10th busiest in the world. Even that link above, when i opened the arrivals, in the three hour window shown, there was only 52 landings.

Just in US there us jfk, newark, Atlanta, Chicago, Denver, lax. Then there's Heathrow, Dubai, abu dabi, narita, Singapore. When I'm on a computer and have time, I'll take a look.

Exactly. If you read the Matichon article, it's also clear that it's the maximum they expect on the busiest days of the high season.

I'm no fan of Suwannaphum but given that it's now the 10th largest airport in the world in terms of passenger traffic, I'd say AoT do a pretty good job of running it. It's certainly a whole lot better than the last two Western airports I used, Heathrow and LAX. And the AoT people I've dealt with over the years for work have been both helpful and professional, which is more than I can say for some SE Asia airport authorities.

Heathrow T5 is pretty decent in my experience, but give me Suvarnabhumi over Dubai any day of the week - man, that is one clusterf**k of an airport!

I find most comments here are full of prejudice and ignorance. Sad, indded.

I recall that when Suwanaphumi Airport was opening in September 2006, a public statement by AoT suggested that the airport could handle an increasing passengers up to 45 million passengers per year. Period. So it's not abnormal if 5 million/month or 160,000/days presumably of both incoming and outgoing passengers are found at this very airport today? Perhaps, a further estimate of 60 million passengers per year found at this airport (excluding Don Muang/Phuget/ Chiangmai/Chiangrai) might sound too much, but don't forget we are talking about Thailand's influx of tourists in the high season, aren't we?

They let me take off my shoes and belt while the chinese men didn't have to do so at the other belt.sad.pngsad.png

Sound like the NNT are the ones that to remove their shoes....to help them count.

Edited by jaywalker

Obviously, not all of these people will be staying in Thailand (as many will be transit passengers just passing through this hub).

But, just imagine, it would be reasonable to suggest that those that do stay will consume at least 100 litres of water per person per day!

No water restrictions here, so it's just as well there's plenty to go around!

One thing that has always struck me as being odder than odd is that the Mo Chit bus station has larger restrooms than Swampy.

It's a decent enough airport (except that time it got shut down by protesters) though.

As others have said, better than that claustrophobic Dubai airport, or the ultra-confusing Charles De Gaulle airport. The latter is a House of Mirrors......Only passed thru once though, so maybe it was just me.