Traffic chaos

Woody1

Looks like most of the bright side is in virtual gridlock at the moment (from what I see, and what I'm being told).

Was wondering if anyone has definite information?

Been told two stories so far, there's a major police roadblock on Beach Rd (near Klang) checking passports and visas, and that some top brass police / army are due to arrive in Soi 2.

Either way, traffic isn't moving.

Immigration authorities nation-wide are resurrecting a 2006 rule forbidding foreigners from obtaining back-to-back 15- or 30-day visas at Thai border posts. The renewed policy seems designed to weed out people living in Thailand by making regular trips to the border to obtain another two weeks or one-month stay.
So could well be same occurring within pattaya well done immo if this is the case.

Edited by Brit_Doggie

Immigration authorities nation-wide are resurrecting a 2006 rule forbidding foreigners from obtaining back-to-back 15- or 30-day visas at Thai border posts. The renewed policy seems designed to weed out people living in Thailand by making regular trips to the border to obtain another two weeks or one-month stay.

So could well be same occurring within pattaya well done immo if this is the case.

Though it was a traffic jam

Not one more pick on farang time, because we cant get our own house in order.

And who gives a shit about 30 day back to back visas, do these people spend money in Thailand

or has Thailand become free now days. and why does it matter to you ?bah.gif

" there's a major police roadblock on Beach Rd (near Klang) checking passports and visas, "

Good God! I hope staying in Thailand hasn't come to this?ohmy.png " Show me your papers "bah.gif

I was a tourist in North Korea a few years ago and they didn't have anything like that even there?

Beach Rd was closed for about 30 minutes, starting around 19.30, about 100 police vehicles drove towards Walking st, trucks full of cops, Toyota sedans, motorcycles.. It was like a parade.

I asked several motorboys, no one knew what it was, but everybody stood and kept staring.

Then outside soi 9 station I asked a cop what is happening, he said 'We protect tourists, we show many many Police' I then asked if is this ittle bit like a police promotion, and he replied excitedly ' Yes, yes, promotion!'

That is what he said, but it could be something else, I have never seen so many cops here at once.

Sorry to dissapoint the usual crowd who always seem to enjoy bashing the visa hoppers here, since it seems this isn't gonna be a massive road block to catch bad, bad foreigners.

I never understood the resentment here towards people under 50, who happen to take winter long holidays, and who's only option is a tourist visa, so back to back stamp thing is unavoidable for them. Visa sub forum is filled with posts 'If you are here extended period of time, get appropriate visa!' Guess what - for a tourist who stays 6 months, tourist visa is the apropriate visa!

Now tell me about the Thailand VIP thing again lol

Whitemouse, thanks for your input.

It happens you're pretty much right regarding the extra police activity (which caused chaos) this evening.

Just found out that the police / army have been ordered to put on a show of strength in Pattaya following (amongst God knows how many other things) the recent murder of the girl on Walking St.

The aforementioned show of strength will achieve absolutely nothing, but it saves a bit face, provides a photo opportunity, builds their ego, and justifies a paltry salary in their opinion.

Care to provide some evidence of this?

I have been going to Thailand and Pattaya since 2004, having made over a dozen visits. I keep my nose clean and don't do the drugs or anything else remotely illicit or illegal, but I really don't like to go to a place that is swarming with police, or bad guys for that matter. That is rarely a relaxing environment. I hope this bad trend of crime and police slows down a bit. I like to hang out, walk around, eat and drink when and where I want, meet and chat with the ladies here and there, get my foot or oil massage, visit a gogo for some lookie see, check out the disco now and then, catch up on some movies I wouldn't bother seeing in the States if it is a hot day and take a break from the heat inside the cool movie theater, visit Nong Nooch, the Chinese pavilion just below the Big Buddha, travel to Phuket for a week for some decent water for swimming, etc. Pure holiday and vacation. I so used to like being able to wander down to Walking street at say 4 Am and one or two places were open and have a late night beer. Just something to do.

Really? So they are closing down a main road so that immigration can check genuine visa excempts obtained at the borders ? Not a chance.

I have been going to Thailand and Pattaya since 2004, having made over a dozen visits. I keep my nose clean and don't do the drugs or anything else remotely illicit or illegal, but I really don't like to go to a place that is swarming with police, or bad guys for that matter. That is rarely a relaxing environment. I hope this bad trend of crime and police slows down a bit. I like to hang out, walk around, eat and drink when and where I want, meet and chat with the ladies here and there, get my foot or oil massage, visit a gogo for some lookie see, check out the disco now and then, catch up on some movies I wouldn't bother seeing in the States if it is a hot day and take a break from the heat inside the cool movie theater, visit Nong Nooch, the Chinese pavilion just below the Big Buddha, travel to Phuket for a week for some decent water for swimming, etc. Pure holiday and vacation. I so used to like being able to wander down to Walking street at say 4 Am and one or two places were open and have a late night beer. Just something to do.

You can still do all those things...nothing has changed.