Thai politics: As drought looms, now is the time for new ideas to confront it

webfact

Drought???? Oh my Buddha.....rains every single day....would love to see a drought happen starting today....my umbrella collection is maxed out....?

But where in the country is that?

It certainly isn't in Issan, CM, the north or central Thailand.

Lots of posters belittle the rural farmers. These people always worked to the seasons and managed to survive and provide excess crops. Now the coastal cities are robbing the farmers of the water that was always there and still would be if not for the massive growth of cities. There is a solution. Coastal cities should get their entire water supply from the sea. In this way the health of the rivers would improve, the farmers could get back to what they do best and cities need not bleed the economy at the expense of the back bone of the country,- farmers.

What is underway with monsoons, droughts, multiple large cyclones in the Pacific simultaneously is all part of a changed and still shifting hydrological pattern around the globe. More heat in the oceans sets up more moisture in the atmosphere, yet not so evenly distributed. Years with weak trade winds off South America set up bigger El Nino cycles, and these mean drier years for the Western Pacific - yet when trade winds are normal (preventing El Nino amplification) the warmer ocean waters end up in the Western Pacific and the added moisture results in more flooding regionally.

Building more big dams to store water is impractical and untimely, but more earthen dams high up on the tributaries of the river network can be done in weeks - once a decision is made. Those earthen dams can assist in storing water - and might yet be done this year while a few minor storms are yet to supply rain.

This year has been (and early 2016 surely will be) an El Nino event year... hence the drought. Northern Thailand is in the pivotal latitudes where rainfall will be more Feast/Famine than in the past. Southern Thailand extends into the regions where rainfall patterns will consistently exceed historical averages. Ignore what is happening globally, deny it, yet the science is sound. Past patterns will shift, indeed are already shifting.

12241473_10153726873424324_7585500302559

Looking further into the future... as leaders gather soon in Paris to try to limit the warming to only 2ºC ... how much will become the new sea level around Bangkok at only 2ºC? ... and if it goes to 4ºC?

Surging Seas: Mapping Choices

http://choices.climatecentral.org/#10/13.9041/100.5325?compare=temperatures&carbon-end-yr=2100&scenario-a=warming-4&scenario-b=warming-2

That's a nice infographic you have there, and, as for the "Global Warming"......George Carlin says it best.

Also,

The more enlightened a populace is, the less pollution you see, and the more they tend NOT turn their backyards into a garbage dump, or a cesspool.

I'm from the US... Prior planning does help in the short term (50 -100 years), but the global warming theory is a myth.

I think the planet invented people, because it wanted plastic bags.

Planning could have helped more, but for a corporate funded disinformation campaign started by Exxon in the late 70s or early 80's. The Carlin sketch is right on one point - the planet will continue. Sure, we may take down much of the current biosphere as we depart, and depart we probably will. Too little spine in political leadership to actually deal with getting populations to exercise restraint of any form (traffic laws, water consumption, family planning, or burning of fossil fuels to make for less CO2 insulation vs having more power at individual fingertips.

Here's another graphic you may like.

12195880_10153724855599324_1906168404098

Build766

Read my first sentence again!

No one denies past government failure. But, we are talking about what the junta have not done on their watch.

But this governments has only had 18 months to deal with ALL the inherited problems from previous governments and this one didn't really become a high priority until this year.

Bit late now? Is it me or do Thais not seem very good at forward planning? There are some mighty rivers in Thailand that allow all the water to flow to the sea; maybe more dams need to be built?

but as the topic title says, we are looking for "new" ideas. Building more dams is definitely an "old" idea, so probably not being considered.

Dry season? Where? Sahara Desert? Still raining down here and that will be till the end of December,Anyway this is happening just about every year since year dot Why has nothing been done before instead of Crying for help they want from the Government .

"We are still repaying the loan that we sought to invest in our paddy field last farming season. We still owe the money because our rice was water-deprived. It could not bring a good price," a farmer in Lop Buri province said.

In other words, we made a stupid investment using borrowed money, and now all we have left is sh*t...

And we are stupid enough to keep doing this again and again...

If you think farmers are being stupid, stupidity shouldn't be restricted entirely to the rice farmers. Look at the current government's rice involvement since the May 2014 coup:

- 1,671,720 rice farmers who pledged their paddy were paid 193 billion baht

- Prayut followed up with a farming subsidy of 40 billion baht

- The Rice Policy and Management Committee launched a short-term mortgage program for rice farmers whereby each household is allowed to receive no more than 300,000 baht with interest subsidized by the government.

- For the 2015 growing season, the government provided seeds and fertilizer in an attempt to help curb the cost of production for farmers.

- A fund of 1 million baht was given to each of the 3,051 drought affected villages in 58 provinces

- The cabinet approved a Bt 8.5 billion plan to waive part of rice farmer debts (Bt4 billion) or pay only interest for three years

- Approved payment of 84 million baht to assist drought-hit farmers

- BAAC provided another loan of 60 billion baht loan program to help farmers affected by water shortages. The first 30 billion baht will be given to the farmers as a one-year loan; however, no interest will be incurred on for the remaining 3 months.

Stupidity may be a reaction from the farmers but consider the source.

What is underway with monsoons, droughts, multiple large cyclones in the Pacific simultaneously is all part of a changed and still shifting hydrological pattern around the globe. More heat in the oceans sets up more moisture in the atmosphere, yet not so evenly distributed. Years with weak trade winds off South America set up bigger El Nino cycles, and these mean drier years for the Western Pacific - yet when trade winds are normal (preventing El Nino amplification) the warmer ocean waters end up in the Western Pacific and the added moisture results in more flooding regionally.

Building more big dams to store water is impractical and untimely, but more earthen dams high up on the tributaries of the river network can be done in weeks - once a decision is made. Those earthen dams can assist in storing water - and might yet be done this year while a few minor storms are yet to supply rain.

This year has been (and early 2016 surely will be) an El Nino event year... hence the drought. Northern Thailand is in the pivotal latitudes where rainfall will be more Feast/Famine than in the past. Southern Thailand extends into the regions where rainfall patterns will consistently exceed historical averages. Ignore what is happening globally, deny it, yet the science is sound. Past patterns will shift, indeed are already shifting.

Looking further into the future... as leaders gather soon in Paris to try to limit the warming to only 2ºC ... how much will become the new sea level around Bangkok at only 2ºC? ... and if it goes to 4ºC?

http://choices.climatecentral.org/#10/13.9041/100.5325?compare=temperatures&carbon-end-yr=2100&scenario-a=warming-4&scenario-b=warming-2

That's a nice infographic you have there, and, as for the "Global Warming"......George Carlin says it best.

Also,

The more enlightened a populace is, the less pollution you see, and the more they tend NOT turn their backyards into a garbage dump, or a cesspool.

I'm from the US... Prior planning does help in the short term (50 -100 years), but the global warming theory is a myth.

Nah, Americans haven't turned their backyards into garbage dumps or cesspools, as you're "enlightened"! rolleyes.gif

Lou Reed captured the "enlightenment" best:

Also,

Nah, Americans haven't turned their backyards into garbage dumps or cesspools, as you're "enlightened"! rolleyes.gif

Lou Reed captured the "enlightenment" best:

Daytona Beach Florida, USA.

04.jpg

Jomtien Beach.

post-110622-0-47717600-1428481217.jpg

' Drought Looms '.

The headline makes it sound as if this is a totally new phenomenon but drought and flood are annual events and all officialdom can do is talk.

Yes! They seem to excel in TALK, TALK, TALK. Oh and suggesting, having committees, looking into etc.

The Thai population is sorely focused on appearance (not facts/truth) so when they can not "get the job done" how does this look? Oh but then there is the usual denial, rationalization, blame, ignore, that is so typical and maybe be genuine Thainess.

Lost cause.

Do you live in Thailand Mr selftaopath? EVERY single post you make is insulting the Thai people. I have a Thai wife, inlaws and my kids are half Thai. I and I'm sure any Thai who reads this forum is offended and sick of your generalizations and racist remarks.

If you do live here, be sure to live in some farang compound.

Edited by Sawan Chan 7

' Drought Looms '.

The headline makes it sound as if this is a totally new phenomenon but drought and flood are annual events and all officialdom can do is talk.

Yes! They seem to excel in TALK, TALK, TALK. Oh and suggesting, having committees, looking into etc.

The Thai population is sorely focused on appearance (not facts/truth) so when they can not "get the job done" how does this look? Oh but then there is the usual denial, rationalization, blame, ignore, that is so typical and maybe be genuine Thainess.

Lost cause.

Do you live in Thailand Mr selftaopath? EVERY single post you make is insulting the Thai people. I have a Thai wife, inlaws and my kids are half Thai. I and I'm sure any Thai who reads this forum is offended and sick of your generalizations and racist remarks.

If you do live here, be sure to live in some farang compound.

When was the last significant progress or change to the water management system in Thailand. One man got a lot done 40 odd years ago and since then?

Drought, flood, talk, mull, discuss, Drought, flood, talk, mull, discuss.