Good Hotel To Stay During Loi Krathong?

Threeputtlewy

My wife and I will be in Chiang Mai for Loi Krathong this year. I was wondering if anyone knows of a good place to stay (1000-1500bht) close to the River? Also where we can get one of the balloons to launch and also make a floating candle to cast down the river? I have read that you can buy a floating candle, but my wife would rather make one of her own. She is one of those crafting type of people..

Thanks in advance for any info..

Threeputtlewy

My wife and I will be in Chiang Mai for Loi Krathong this year. I was wondering if anyone knows of a good place to stay (1000-1500bht) close to the River? Also where we can get one of the balloons to launch and also make a floating candle to cast down the river? I have read that you can buy a floating candle, but my wife would rather make one of her own. She is one of those crafting type of people..

Thanks in advance for any info..

Threeputtlewy

Diamond Riverside is probably the best hotel for Loy Krathong as it is slap bang on the river. You might be leaving it a bit late for a booking though.

On the "floating candle" she could make one but you will see thousands of them for sale along Charoenprethet Road (Diamond Hotel is on Charoenprathet)

Good luck :o

When does the festival happen, exactly ?

This year, the Loy Krathong festivities in Soppong (Mae Hong Son) fall on 4 and 5 November, with the 5th being the full moon day of the twelfth lunar month, and the day when most of the festivities happen ("Loy Kathong Yai"). To many, Loy Krathong (sometimes called "yee ping" or the 'festival of lights') is the most beautiful festival and ceremony of the year in Thailand.

I read in the newspaper this week (the trust Chiang Mai Mail) that most hotels are booked solid during Nov and Dec this year due to the Floral Exhibition. While I doubt this is true, I'd suggest booking your room early because Loy Krathong brings more tourists here as well.

My Thai staff told me that Loy Krathong was around the 20th, not the 4th and 5th. But they did say that there's "Little Loy Krathong" and "Big Loy Krathong." I'll have to double check the exact dates.

Edited by earlofwindermere

The 5th is the big day.

It can be huge fun wandering along the river in the evening but as the night progresses and the drink flows it becomes more and more lively with rockets being hand launched in all directions. Fireworks and hot air balloons available at many road and river side stalls.

Without any doubt for me at all it is the best festival in the world.