Screen Resolution 1920x1080 or 1366x768?

racyrick

I am looking to buy a mid range laptop with a 15'6 screen.

I will be using it simply for surfing the net, watching videos, listening to music and mild gaming.

Which screen resolution is better for me- 1920x1080 or 1366x768?

Leaning towards an HP Pavilion or an Acer

Thanks for your help

the text and the graphic on a 1920x1080 screen is more sharp and more crispy than that of the 1366x768 screen. you will see the different on surfing the net, but not much different on watching videos.

the down size, the 1920x1080 screen displays smaller text and finer graphic, yet you could adjust it on the Control Panel | Display . . .

while you aim for a 15'6 screen laptop today, you should check the 1920x1080 screen for future proof.

cheers

You didn't say anything about a possible price difference?

Generally a higher resolution is never wrong if the HW (graphic card) can handle it.

Try to find out the details of the graphics HW and compare it.

But honestly: on a 15.6 inch display you will have a hard time to see much of a difference.

I assume both laptops come with an HDMI port?

Do you have a reasonably big LCD TV (32 inch or better 40 inch up) with HDMI port?

That would make sense: viewing full HD (1920*1080) on such a screen.

Assuming your videos have this quality (which is still not the rule)!

Its then even possible to do dual monitor operation.

Viewing a video/movie on the LCD TV in full HD while surf/email/write on TVF on the laptop.

I disagree that surfing the net has use for full HD.

Watching videos/movies and gaming are THE use for full HD.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Generally a higher resolution is never wrong if the HW (graphic card) can handle it.

But honestly: on a 15.6 inch display you will have a hard time to see much of a difference.

Do you have a reasonably big LCD TV (32 inch or better 40 inch up) with HDMI port?

Viewing a video/movie on the LCD TV in full HD while surf/email/write on TVF on the laptop.

The difference in price for the 1920x1080 is about 3,000 baht more.

Both have the Geforce 940M graphics card

Thanks for your help

the resolution can be altered via control panel in xp, 7, and 8, not wanting 10 so not knowledgably adapted, but am sure similar can be adjusted, on my 7 system settings as follows.

133 x 768, 1280 x 720, 1024 x 768, 800 x 600, most if not all graphic cards will handle the above settings unless it's a skoda model hehe.

The difference in price for the 1920x1080 is about 3,000 baht more.

Both have the Geforce 940M graphics card

Thanks for your help

So surely both laptops would have the option of viewing on an external display.

Whether or not the difference of 3000 Baht for viewing full HD on the laptop display is worth?

I think you would really have to do a side by side comparison.

Maybe the full HD display has other important advantages (contrast/brilliance, viewing angle)?

Personally, on a 15.6" screen, I would go for the 1920x1080 display.

The 1920x1080 display will result in smaller text etc. than on a 1366x768 display, but it will also show more on screen. You will have 554 more horizontal pixels and 312 more vertical pixels.

Heck even the iPhone 6 Plus has 1920x1080 at 401 ppi.

Funny example.

The ever increasing resolution of these small displays is so useless.

An interesting report about the topic, and that is almost two years old:

Enough pixels already! TVs, tablets, phones surpass limits of human vision, experts say

Have to correct myself here:

1920*1080 on a 15.6 inch still makes sense (diagonal is about 2200 pixels, makes about 140 ppi).

When viewing from 2 feet its close to the resolution the human eye (about 300 ppi from 30 cm).

Edited by KhunBENQ

Thank you for all your help and advice.

I will hopefully check both screens at the store although I see many times that the store does not turn on the computers for you to see a live screen.

That would make it very difficult to compare.

I guess it's also time to decide if it's an Acer or HP-any thoughts?

the resolution can be altered via control panel in xp, 7, and 8, not wanting 10 so not knowledgably adapted, but am sure similar can be adjusted, on my 7 system settings as follows.

133 x 768, 1280 x 720, 1024 x 768, 800 x 600, most if not all graphic cards will handle the above settings unless it's a skoda model hehe.

And I thought a "Trabbi", the exclusive cars made in Ex-East Germany....

OP, if you wanna see it the Trabbi is tight you should use the highest setting, without getting high. Or both. thumbsup.gif

post-158336-0-28292300-1447331614_thumb.

Edited by lostinisaan

Thank you for all your help and advice.

I will hopefully check both screens at the store although I see many times that the store does not turn on the computers for you to see a live screen.

That would make it very difficult to compare.

I guess it's also time to decide if it's an Acer or HP-any thoughts?

Sorry, OP. If the store doesn't switch such a god damned machine on for an interested buyer, you should not buy anything at his fragged up place.

I have gone to using a laptop full time now but the monitor, keyboard and mouse... I bought a powered USB hub and a wireless mouse and keyboard.

Then I bought a relatively cheap 32" (for LostInIsaan, that's not metric, LOL) TV that has a VGA port and hooked that to the laptop. Dang, that big "monitor" isn't perfectly sharp but it's still incredibly easy to read, even from clear across the room. If I lean way back in my desk chair with my keyboard and mouse in my lap, I can easily read the big screen but there's no hope for reading the "sharper" 1920x1080 laptop screen. It's just too small. (Edit: 15.4" screen on laptop.)

Cheers.

Edited by NeverSure

good hints from NeverSure !

OP, you may also check the RESOLUTION of EXTERNAL CONNECTION. the HP with built-in 1920x1080 should able to put 1920x1080 onto a big external monitor as well. the ACER with built-in 1366x768 may have a different capability on bigger external monitor.

worth to check if you may connect the laptop to any external monitor.

Have not owned any products from either HP or Acer but this site would suggest that HP is better:

http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/laptop-brand-ratings

However, many people would say that it depends on the model more than the brand.

but be aware that some/most HP laptops have a 10/100 Mbit LAN connection only in case you want to connect to the office LAN this should be in a museum....

Have not owned any products from either HP or Acer but this site would suggest that HP is better:

However, many people would say that it depends on the model more than the brand.

but be aware that some/most HP laptops have a 10/100 Mbit LAN connection only in case you want to connect to the office LAN this should be in a museum....

I am not a techie, what does that mean?

Will I have trouble connecting to wi fi?

Will it mean my internet speed will suffer?

Please explain.

Thanks

I just checked and the ethernet connection is 10/100 NIC

How will that affect internet speed and connection?

Thanks again