Fire at the Terminal 21 shopping mall in Bangkok

webfact

Fire at the Terminal 21 shopping mall in Bangkok

BANGKOK:-- Reports are coming through to Thaivisa.com of a fire at the Terminal 21 shopping mall. It is understood the mall has been evacuated and emergency services are attending the scene.

We will provide an update as and when more information becomes available

tvn.png
-- 2015-11-10

Fire Forces Evacuation of Terminal 21 Mall

Smoke comes from an upper floor of the Terminal 21 shopping mall today. Photo: @9Tana / Twitter

BANGKOK — A fire forced the evacuation of a popular mall in the commercial heart of Bangkok this morning.

Customers were evacuated from the Terminal 21 mall near Asoke intersection after smoke was first seen at around 11am, according to JS 100 radio, and was brought under control soon thereafter.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1447131271

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-11-10

Small fire breaks out at Terminal 21 department store

BANGKOK: -- People were evacuated from food court on the fourth and fifth floors of Terminal 21 department store on Tuesday morning after thick smoke was seen.

Initial investigation found that the smoke and the fire were from the smoke absorbers of the restaurants on the floor.

As of noon, the building’s rescue team can control the fire. No one was injured.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Small-fire-breaks-out-at-Terminal-21-department-st-30272625.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-11-10

Smoke absorbers?

I'm guessing they mean the extraction trunking. If not cleaned properly they get full of grease and very flammable.

I tried to "Like" this post, but was told "There was a problem storing your reputation vote", whatever that means.

You are quite right to say that it is important to keep extraction trunking clean. I hope facilities managers take note.

Smoke absorbers?

I'm guessing they mean the extraction trunking. If not cleaned properly they get full of grease and very flammable.

Especially the extractor fans above the grilling tables in some of these Korean / Japanese restaurants. They are designed to be near the cooking areas, where naked flames are, but really should be no where near them. But this is the design sadly.

We manufacture an extremely effective solution to the problem of grease and oil deposits caused by cooking processes. Every extraction hood in the Mandarin Oriental has our equipment installed (12 kitchens in total).

So...off we go to market this piece of technology to other establishments in Thailand.

After two years of trying we just sell it in Singapore now, where it has been recently tested (and the testing approved by the Singapore National Environment Agency).

Quite simply...Thailand doesn't care about this issue. I'm amazed more buildings haven't burned to the ground given some of the horrendous conditions we have seen in some very Hi-So establishments.

I suppose I should now try and introduce our equipment to the facilities management of T21, but there's no point as we are fed up of being turned away from everywhere because 'if' Thai facilities managers ever wanted to perform some kind of deep-clean they would simply throw a small dark skinned person, on 100 Baht a day, up into the duct with some kind of deadly acid concoction.

Thailand...the country where everything almost works.

Edited by Norcan

Fire at Terminal 21

CTbO626WoAAbmFn-wpcf_728x410.png

BANGKOK: -- A brief fire broke out at Terminal 21 shopping centre on Sukhumvit 21 at 11 am noon today, forcing the evacuation of employees of stalls inside and shoppers, both Thai and foreigners.

Smoke was first spotted coming out from the fifth floor of the shopping centre located near Soi Asoke (Sukhumvit 21) causing people shopping inside to flee from the building.

Witnesses said the fire happened at a grill restaurant located on the fifth floor.

Fire was seen burning at the cooker hood at the grill restaurant forcing clients dining inside to quickly run out.

Security of the building then ordered the evacuation of the people inside the building, and alerted firemen.

The fire was put out by firemen an hour later.

Some firemen and rescue workers were admitted to Chulalongkorn hospital from suffocation.

The building remained closed as smoke still was not totally clear.

Hundreds of shoppers and employees were also seen gathering outside to enter the premise for shopping and working again at noon.

However the building security men were ordered not to allow entry as the building is pending investigation by forensic police for actual cause.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/fire-at-terminal-21

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-11-10

We manufacture an extremely effective solution to the problem of grease and oil deposits caused by cooking processes. Every extraction hood in the Mandarin Oriental has our equipment installed (12 kitchens in total).

So...off we go to market this piece of technology to other establishments in Thailand.

After two years of trying we just sell it in Singapore now, where it has been recently tested (and the testing approved by the Singapore National Environment Agency).

Quite simply...Thailand doesn't care about this issue. I'm amazed more buildings haven't burned to the ground given some of the horrendous conditions we have seen in some very Hi-So establishments.

I suppose I should now try and introduce our equipment to the facilities management of T21, but there's no point as we are fed up of being turned away from everywhere because 'if' Thai facilities managers ever wanted to perform some kind of deep-clean they would simply throw a small dark skinned person, on 100 Baht a day, up into the duct with some kind of deadly acid concoction.

Please PM details to me, including your email address. I know a few large companies in Thailand that would be interested.

Yikes! Another thing to be scared of in Thailand.

Better to eat outside. Easier to run away!

I think nearly all shopping malls have lots of exits both to the car parks and street.

I'd rather be in a fire situation at a shopping mall than some restaurants or pubs I know of.

Fire at Terminal 21

CTbO626WoAAbmFn-wpcf_728x410.png

BANGKOK: -- A brief fire broke out at Terminal 21 shopping centre on Sukhumvit 21 at 11 am noon today, forcing the evacuation of employees of stalls inside and shoppers, both Thai and foreigners.

Smoke was first spotted coming out from the fifth floor of the shopping centre located near Soi Asoke (Sukhumvit 21) causing people shopping inside to flee from the building.

Witnesses said the fire happened at a grill restaurant located on the fifth floor.

Fire was seen burning at the cooker hood at the grill restaurant forcing clients dining inside to quickly run out.

Security of the building then ordered the evacuation of the people inside the building, and alerted firemen.

The fire was put out by firemen an hour later.

Some firemen and rescue workers were admitted to Chulalongkorn hospital from suffocation.

The building remained closed as smoke still was not totally clear.

Hundreds of shoppers and employees were also seen gathering outside to enter the premise for shopping and working again at noon.

However the building security men were ordered not to allow entry as the building is pending investigation by forensic police for actual cause.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/fire-at-terminal-21

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2015-11-10

They evacuated both Thais and foreigners!

...why is that sentence in there?

Ins't that a given?

Done! PM just sent. Cheers...

Please PM details to me, including your email address. I know a few large companies in Thailand that would be interested.

i completely understand where you are coming from.

a friend of mine had a website that is popular all over the world, but he couldnt get the Thai-Section of his business to work in Thailand because NO ONE WANTS TO SPEND ANY MONEY here.

Even if it will save them money and even make more money for them, they DONT WANT TO SPEND ANY MONEY.

they prefer to take their chances and avoid spending money if they can.

so he closed his Thai department (after 3 years of effort).

his product was different from yours, but the SAME conclusion as you.

Edited by easybullet3

a friend of mine had a website that is popular all over the world, but he couldnt get the Thai-Section of his business to work in Thailand because NO ONE WANTS TO SPEND ANY MONEY here.

Even if it will save them money and even make more money for them, they DONT WANT TO SPEND ANY MONEY.

We determined that our main problem was that in Singapore restaurant owners MUST prove they have cleaned their hoods/ducts at least once a year. They need to produce a certificate that proves it's been done by an approved cleaning company.

Cost of cleaning in Singapore is equal to a Return on Investment for our equipment of around 24 months.

The Return on Investment period here in Thailand would be around 100 years, given that they don't even budget for it...until the building catches fire. AND, there is no standard that requires proof of cleaning or maintenance.

Hence, we are still happy to manufacture here, we just don't bother trying to sell it here anymore. Waste of time.

Edited by Norcan

I am confused are you talking about restaurants or the government here. Don't want to spend the money its got to be the government.

I am confused are you talking about restaurants or the government here. Don't want to spend the money its got to be the government.

There is no way we would even approach the government to try and sell anything. I'm talking about restaurant owners that simply don't want to spend anything.

The reason we have installations in places like the Mandarin Oriental is they are audited quite strictly by their own Engineering Management Department who demand standards set by overseas bodies.

No such standards exist locally - hence nobody has to do anything about it if they don't want to, which let's be honest, falls right into the scope of work for most Thai engineers.

As I said, we have been into some horrendously dirty kitchens and I am amazed there is not one of these fires nearly every day.

Terminal 21 to reopen at 5pm following fire

The Terminal 21 shopping mall has announced it will reopen at 5pm on Tuesday afternoon after a fire that broke out earlier in the morning.

The Asoke shopping centre said on its Facebook page that business would continue as usual after the fire at the Piri Piri Flaming Chicken restaurant on the fourth floor forced the evacuation of shoppers and the mall's temporary closure on Tuesday.

Coconuts

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok November 10, 2015