Why travel health insurance is important - a true story

Who knows what’s waiting around the corner?

(Story donated)

I live in a town not far from Nong Khai, Thailand, and a friend of mine was visiting from Germany. He has a Thai girlfriend and comes here often as a tourist.

At around 10-30 pm one night, as they were walking back to her house from an evening stroll, a group of local youths aged 17-19 approached him on motor cycles and gave him verbal abuse. Though he could not understand them, his girlfriend could and asked them to go home and leave him alone. She suspected that their behavior was consistent with drug or alcohol abuse.

When they arrived home the youths reappeared, and one of them stepped off his bike and attacked my friend-with a machete. He was hit on the arm with a cut that severed six tendons and almost cut the arm off. Horrific.

The whole incident was captured on CCTV, and the youths were rounded up by the police and arrested.

My friend spent a week in hospital and I visited him every day. Fortunately his German travel insurance covered him and will pay his not inconsiderable hospital costs and doctor’s fees etc.

It has since occurred to me that this kind of unexpected nasty surprise can happen to anyone in the course of just enjoying a normal day or night out.

As a foreign resident of Thailand I naturally became quite anxious at the thought of some similar kind of occurrence befalling me, as I am not one of those who can afford large medical and hospital costs if it does.

Pacific Cross Health Insurance was one of the first companies I contacted on the internet regarding health insurance. They seemed well established and credible, and I was directly referred to an English speaking representative of theirs via telephone.

This highly professional person explained to me that their travel insurance covers emergency medical treatment for the type of situation my friend found himself in, provided a police report is submitted of course. Also, for those who live here as I do, Pacific Cross health insurance covers any medical situation requiring hospitalization.

Enough said, and what happened to my poor friend has opened my eyes to the need of insurance against unforeseen happenings such as this. I shall of course also be extra vigilant at all times from now on.

I would recommend Pacific Cross as a source of sensible, practical advice and hope to avail myself of their services in order to protect myself and achieve peace of mind in the future.

End.

Pacific Cross health Insurance provides Health, Travel and Accident Insurance to Thai, foreign individuals and organisations.

Contact us at www.pacificcrosshealth.com, [email protected] or call at 02 401 9189.

For foreigners please ask for Greg or call one of the many brokers in your area.

Edited by PacificCrossInsurance

The old 'preexisting conditions' makes all health insurance extortionate.

For example, if you have been diagnosed as asthmatic or with mild COPD, any slight respiratory problem will not be covered. So what is the point of paying high premiums when you would have to pay for this treatment out of your own pocket anyway !

Another anomaly I found a few years back, when looking, was the fact that every policy offered was linked in with life insurance. I did not need life insurance as I had no dependants, but no broker could offer just the health insurance at a reduced premium.

Your friend's unfortunate incident is not really an every day occurrence, and had he attended a government hospital, the bill may well have been less than his premium.

For example, if you have been diagnosed as asthmatic or with mild COPD, any slight respiratory problem will not be covered. So what is the point of paying high premiums when you would have to pay for this treatment out of your own pocket anyway !

Another anomaly I found a few years back, when looking, was the fact that every policy offered was linked in with life insurance. I did not need life insurance as I had no dependants, but no broker could offer just the health insurance at a reduced premium.

Your friend's unfortunate incident is not really an every day occurrence, and had he attended a government hospital, the bill may well have been less than his premium.

Change broker.

Change broker.

Tried most of them.

Because they normally use Thai 'reps' who probably only get about a 2 week crash course in sales marketing, a lot of them being spouses of farangs due to their reasonable understanding of English, they are not even informed of any policies covering just the health part.

As 95% of their income is commission only, it is obviously in their interest to sell higher premium policies, as in the ones including expensive 'life coverage'. Whenever I enquired about 'health cover' only I was told 'cannot'.

I know many people who bought these policies in the past who have deemed them as useless when it comes down to the reality of reclaiming money paid for treatment received.

Change broker.

Tried most of them.

Because they normally use Thai 'reps' who probably only get about a 2 week crash course in sales marketing, a lot of them being spouses of farangs due to their reasonable understanding of English, they are not even informed of any policies covering just the health part.

As 95% of their income is commission only, it is obviously in their interest to sell higher premium policies, as in the ones including expensive 'life coverage'. Whenever I enquired about 'health cover' only I was told 'cannot'.

I know many people who bought these policies in the past who have deemed them as useless when it comes down to the reality of reclaiming money paid for treatment received.

Any decent broker can help you with health only' cover.

Ah yes - insurance - a lovely tool to enable the rich to extract more money from the poor under the guise of helping them out. Another tool to enable the crooked to profit at the expense of the honest (you are paying for deceitful people's claims.

Save money when you are young. Then you'll be able to avoid these rip-offs when you are older.

Edited by SantiSuk

The topic is 'travel health insurance'. So if you don;t get sick or injured while you're traveling, you won't have to worry about it. As to the pre-existing conditions reference above, if you buy health insurance before you have any pre-existing conditions, then you won't have to worry about pre-sexting conditions.

The people who are real lucky buying health insurance are the people that get real sick and run up huge bills that the insurance company pays. The people that aren't lucky with health insurance are the people who don't get real sick. Too bad, you didn't get sick. Better luck next time.

Edited by JLCrab

Have any blood pressure or cholesterol issues? Then almost any health event that might befall you will come under the "pre existing" umbrella and there will be no coverage. An accident like the one illustrated in the OP then your insurance might get you some cover.

That's rather a blanket statement as it would likely depend on for how long you held the policy before the event in question.

Have any blood pressure or cholesterol issues? Then almost any health event that might befall you will come under the "pre existing" umbrella and there will be no coverage. An accident like the one illustrated in the OP then your insurance might get you some cover.

I have always used travel insurance but recently found it difficult more to getting older and a few medical complications like needing to use blood thinners and now Multiple Myeloma so check your pre-exiting and and who is the underwriter is. I have found Alliance as a underwriter will not cover you for anything if you take any blood thinning substances at all . Lacerated limb to car accident to a similar case such as the OP's story about assault - you are on your own. .

Other underwriters will cover you but usually at a increased premium.

Does anyone have any experience or commentary regarding CIGNA insurance policies? I am interested in buying a "Global Health Policy" to have while traveling throughout SEA and the Indian Sub Continent. Next year I will apply for a Thai retirement visa.

Thanks

The insurance broker I have bought insurance from since 2005 is a Thai Citizen of Swedish parents, educated at the American School in Bangkok. Bi-Lingual, dual citizen who speaks like an American. I did buy travel insurance when I traveled to Laos, Vietnam, Indonesia and to the United States. I have many friends with painful stories of sudden illness while traveling out of Thailand. I certainly encourage my friends to buy travel HEALTH coverage when they visit Thailand. It is very inexpensive if you look at different policies. I have health coverage with BUPA and it has served me well. My broker reminded me that life insurance cover is not a good buy in Thailand. Out patient Health coverage is not always a good value in Thailand with BUPA or Thai Health Insurance. No need to buy "life insurance" when you only need Health insurance.