Change family tourist visas to non B and O at Chaengwattana

Hi all,

I am wondering if it is possible to change my entire family's (myself, husband and 2 kids) visa status from tourist to non B and O in Thailand? My employer told me they don't think it's possible but I have heard from a couple of different people that it is possible to change it at Chaengwattana. We just went to Laos this past weekend to get a single entry tourist visa good for 60 days since my employer was missing paperwork for us to change our status in Laos and as much as possible I don't want to have to leave again to Laos traveling with 2 young children. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Best you be more specific.

However, it is unlikely that children would ever qualify for a "B" visa.

If you are working you need a "B" visa and a work permit.

Once you have secured an extension of Stay based on working your husband and the children can obtain extensions of stay based on being dependent on you. They will require "O" visas before they can apply which can only be obtained outside Thailand.

I hope you have had a serious discussion with your employer, who seems to have a "relaxed" attitude toward providing very important documentation.

• Like 1

I may be possible for you to do a change of visa status to get a non immigrant visa entry based upon qualifying an extension of stay for working.

Immigration will not do the change to get a dependent extension for your family. It will require going to an embassy or consulate to get single entry non-o visa.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. So no matter what, my husband and kids will have to leave Thailand to change their status? My employer said I can change my status at Chaengwattana but not my family. Is the only way to do it to go outside of Thailand and get them to get an extension of stay with my work documents and change their tourist visa to a non O? Our new single entry tourist visas are good until January 9, 2016 and we can get another 30 day extension at Chaengwattana if needed. Is that not enough time for them to change our documents in the country?

Thanks for the replies. So no matter what, my husband and kids will have to leave Thailand to change their status? My employer said I can change my status at Chaengwattana but not my family. Is the only way to do it to go outside of Thailand and get them to get an extension of stay with my work documents and change their tourist visa to a non O? Our new single entry tourist visas are good until January 9, 2016 and we can get another 30 day extension at Chaengwattana if needed. Is that not enough time for them to change our documents in the country?

As already stated Immigration will not do visa status changes for dependents.

You could ask the Immigration people at Chaengwattana but be prepared for disappointment.