Norwegian man arrested after ammunition found in luggage at Suvarnabhumi

webfact

Norwegian man arrested after ammunition found in luggage at Suvarnabhumi

no.jpg
Image: Matichon.co.th

BANGKOK:-- A new recruit of the Norwegian Police Service was held at Suvarnabhumi airport on Wednesday after a routine X-ray scan revealed two bullets hidden inside his suitcase.

The man, named by Matichon as Mr.Heggem Simen Oliver, had travelled from Oslo to Bangkok on a Thai Airways flight and was about to board a connecting flight to Phuket when he was apprehended by airport police officers.

Mr Heggem told officers that he did not realise the 9mm bullets were in his bag.

Police charged Mr Heggem in relation to possessing the ammunition and he faces a maximum punishment of a two year custodial sentence or a fine of 80,000 THB.

Officials from the Norwegian embassy are providing assistance to Mr Heggem.

Source: Matichon.co.th

tvn.png
-- 2015-11-12

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simple solution; let him mess the cops around for a bit with different stories. Norwegian embassy and chief of police get involved and he spends about a month in a detention centre. After all of this, let him go.

In the interest if fairness, right?

Should get some advice from the ex Thai police guy - the expert in hiding guns in luggage. Problem solved.

no, Kamronwit smuggled an illegal unlicensed loaded mini handgun (an assassins and hijackers favorite) on board in his hand luggage. A clear and present danger to all onboard. This Norwegian just had 2 bullets in his suitcase. No comparison whatsoever.

Should get some advice from the ex Thai police guy - the expert in hiding guns in luggage. Problem solved.

no, Kamronwit smuggled an illegal unlicensed loaded mini handgun (an assassins and hijackers favorite) on board in his hand luggage. A clear and present danger to all onboard. This Norwegian just had 2 bullets in his suitcase. No comparison whatsoever.
Um! - I said advice from an expert re smuggling banned items irrespective of what it was and how to muddy the waters so nothing sticks. Edited by Artisi

I am no expert but it seems to be a very harsh punishment for carrying 2 bullets .

Expert in what? What would be the minimum? 5 bullets? Maybe 10?

The news report is speculating on the maximum punishment not a sentence that was handed down by a court ... aside from the Thai Visa court of course.

Judging by the size of the wad of cash on the table in the bottom left of the picture. One can conclude that this young man is probably already on his way home.

no flies on you jonclark, very well spotted! I am concerned his budding career back home will be finished over this supposed crime that carried no danger or threat to airline safety. Hopefully with the on the spot fine he will have no record the Norwegians could use to fire him.

can someone explain how can someone 'accidentally' put two bullets in a bag? we need more info like were they Police issue? is he denying they are his etc.

Maybe a local version of the Manila scam.

Passengers targeted in a "bullet scam" by staff at Manila airport.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-advice/passengers-targeted-in-a-bullet-scam-by-staff-at-manila-airport/story-fn6yjmoc-1227598822524

A bullet. Can't do anything with "a bullet". But, I think it's ok to carry a knife in your checked luggage? Does this make any sense at all?

And one can do even less with a kevlar vest but it didn't stop the same airport muppets banging up a Hong Kong journalist for having one in his checked bag; note he wasn't wearing it but it still violated the same arcane law.

This from a land that thinks that pixelating guns and bottles of alcohol on television is also protecting their kin and culture.

I am no expert but it seems to be a very harsh punishment for carrying 2 bullets .

yes, especially seeing as how he is a police officer. clearly just an oversight on his part. but he's a foreigner, so let's make it into an international incident.

I guess you are trying to say that in Norway Police don't account for ammunition? taking ammo onto a flight is only an 'oversight' for Norway Police?

As usual we only get to know half the story.Why did he put 2 bullets in his case?.There is no mention of a gun.Why did they not pick this up when he left Oslo? Were they in his case then? Were they planted on him at BKK,and if so why? Stop speculating on half a story guys,but I do like the shot of that pile of money in the picture.Did that get into the pic by accident.?gigglem.gifgigglem.gif

Judging by the size of the wad of cash on the table in the bottom left of the picture. One can conclude that this young man is probably already on his way home.

no flies on you jonclark, very well spotted! I am concerned his budding career back home will be finished over this supposed crime that carried no danger or threat to airline safety. Hopefully with the on the spot fine he will have no record the Norwegians could use to fire him.
I have to say from the start I have no knowledge of the Norwegian Police discipline code but providing this is a genuine case and not a scam there could be discipline offences applicable at home.

In addition if he's a ' probationer ' it may be easier to dismiss him.

If this is a set up he has a problem proving his innocence and the fact the rounds were not picked up in Oslo doesn't help him except perhaps if he's believed by his bosses they were planted and it saves his job.

Edited by NongKhaiKid

Why didn't they caught this when he left Norway?

Obviously the security measures need to be re-assessed there!

How many peoples lives are they risking with such "security"?

Lucky, this was only a case of "forgotten ammo in my bag"

Come on mates... lets start the Thai bashing!!!

cheesy.gif