Norwegian man arrested after ammunition found in luggage at Suvarnabhumi

webfact

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....hmmmm....check the bullets for fingerprints....oh and who's going to check the checkers for verifiable fingerprints....you know....make sure they're not lying....how high up do you have to go....or country you have to be in for the truth....more to this than what's written for sure....

LOH, land of hypocrisy. This guy has just 2 bullets and they are talking maximum sentence.

He is a new police recruit from Norway? My Guess is that is would likely be as honest as they come and has probably become a cop to help society. He just misplaced 2 bullets.

On the other hand, the Thai cop in japan had an unregistered firearm on the airplane. The Thai cop is likely as corrupt as they come, probably had a hand in countless misdeeds or much worse and became a cop to take as much from the Thai society to benefit himself as he could.

The one scary thing is how did the bullets make it past Noray's screening and how did Thailand every find these bullets? I have never in 15 years of coming here EVER see them search someones luggage.

Bad luck Chuck.

I can relate to the OP. A few years ago when I was a member of the TRG in the NT Police in Oz, I use to carry the same backpack everywhere, including several hundred trips to the shooting ranges. I always had a collection of live rounds and blanks in that bag. No more than about 15 or so at any one time. You don't have to account for every single round in most Australian Police Forces. I also use to carry CS gas and other smaller explosive devices in it, but they always found their way back to the armory or were used up on the range. But on a trip to Bali from Sydney, Security grabbed my backpack and wanted to know why I was carrying a metal fork, which they duly confiscated because it was considered a dangerous weapon. I wasn't going to argue as just as they were giving me a lecture, it dawned on me that I had my work backpack and there was ammunition in it. Cleared Security without any further hassle, and quickly found an AFP Officer and handed over all my ammo to him explaining my situation. No problem as he took it from me and all good. The idea of an Indonesian investigation didn't appeal to me. So it can happen. I was an idiot not to check my bag before leaving home. Lesson learnt as I then bought a new backpack for travel only. Cheers.

Theres a major scam going on in the Philippines. On connecting flights a bullet or 2 slipped into baggage then to avoid delay or arrest pay the man and continue . Hope its not tea money idea over here now.

In PH. They do it to the overseas workers as they cant afford a black mark or no income for the family.

Has he admitted that the bullets belonged to him? If so then he is a silly boy who could end up in a lot of trouble.
If not I would suggest that given the recent publicity over the scam where bullets are planted in bags in Manila (especially on transit passengers) then this is a simple copy cat case.

For some reason The Philippines has a law against carrying the bullets even without a gun being present. Does Thailand have a similar law to charge people under?

Putting bullets in passengers suitcases is also a new scam i read last week. The airportsecurity does it on the Phillipine airports to extort passengers.

There was no airport security scam here, and this is Thailand, not the Philippines. You should find a flipper forum to post comments like this.

Putting bullets in passengers suitcases is also a new scam i read last week. The airportsecurity does it on the Phillipine airports to extort passengers.

Actually an old scam that's probably now run its course; the threat to tourism from recent publicity has made the Filipino authorities sit up, take notice and fire the relevant NAIA workers.

Has anyone actually been fired in Manila yet? Plenty of calls from high up politicians were being ignored the last I heard.

A bullet. Can't do anything with "a bullet". But, I think it's ok to carry a knife in your checked luggage? Does this make any sense at all?

And one can do even less with a kevlar vest but it didn't stop the same airport muppets banging up a Hong Kong journalist for having one in his checked bag; note he wasn't wearing it but it still violated the same arcane law.

This from a land that thinks that pixelating guns and bottles of alcohol on television is also protecting their kin and culture.

"...banging up a Hong Kong journalist for having one in his checked bag..."

Carry on bag, not checked in.

Why didn't they caught this when he left Norway?

My thoughts exactly, or are we maybe seeing a new scam, similar to those that have been happening in the Philippenes, starting to happen here in Swampi?? Gotta admit the scam news from there has been quiet of late, This is the Land of Copies after all.

Could it be that his luggage has been tampered with, whilst it is in transit, ie going through the luggage transfer areas? Is it normal that it would be X Rayed again as it goes through luggage transfer?

If it was XRayed in Norway and nothing was seen there , then this could very easily be the scenario that is occurring in Swampi.

The precedence set by the Thai police with that cop buddy of Thaksin who took the fully loaded handgun with him was that they couldn't prosecute because they could not prove he did it on purpose.

And the Thai press just let it go at that. What a disgrace. It's been clear for a long time that they know who not to upset.

The precedence set by the Thai police with that cop buddy of Thaksin who took the fully loaded handgun with him was that they couldn't prosecute because they could not prove he did it on purpose.

And the Thai press just let it go at that. What a disgrace. It's been clear for a long time that they know who not to upset.

And this is exactly the angle his Embassy reps should be working on with the Thai Cops, not that there is much hope in making them understand the boundaries of fairness

I'm really surprised that nobody is taking the positive view that maybe, some people are actually doing their jobs properly here in Thailand, at least a lot better than the ones at Oslo it appears.

Also surprised at the number of people undermining/playing down the actual act of carrying ammunition in this day and age on an international flight.

Wonder how the story would differ if the guy's name was Abdul, hailing from a middle eastern country, complete with beard?

Simple...

Hold him, ask him why he has them in his possession, if he has a legal right to have them in Norway, get his embassy to verify he does, that should take a day or two, then accept it as a stupid mistake so let him go with a warning, two days in custody he wont do it again.

If not, put him on the next flight back home and ask the Norwegians to deal with him.

2 bullets in a checked bag and gets arrested. That's one of the most rediculous charges ever!

The problem lies not in the bullets by themselves but whose to say he isn't part of a terrorist cell with 4 other guy's all carrying one part of a crudely made gun that they assembled on board and now those bullets are lethal

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

I was about to say the same thing, seems like a scam to me already being played in Manilla. Too bad the guy admitted being in law enforcement because it makes him look guilty even if the bullets were planted.