Norwegian man arrested after ammunition found in luggage at Suvarnabhumi

webfact

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A bullet. Can't do anything with "a bullet". But, I think it's ok to carry a knife in your checked luggage? Does this make any sense at all?

Try to enter the US, UK or EU with bullet(s) in your bags and see what happens, it will not cost B 80 000 to get out of jail, his legal fees will be USD 80 K. Google home made guns and you will see that if you have the ammo the rest is easy. Next thing would be someone coming in with 10 g C4, where do you draw the line. Laws are laws and laws regarding moving ammo between countries are very standard - it is not allowed without proper authorisation.

It's a possibility, If they were positioned the right way, when scanned in Oslo, they may have only appeared as 2 small round, "spots"... NOT appear as bullets, then on the transfer flight to Phuket, it was scanned again an were obviously bullets,,, I've flown many, many times with a, "tactical" pen, an ink pen that's meant to be used for self-deffence.. I just bundle it with other pens, etc with a rubber band... I've been told by TSA it's pretty much at the descretion of the officer wether to allow them or not,, doing it as I've stated, never been an issue... While he seems to simply made an honest mistake,, those that state, "you can't do anything with a bullet alone",, this is true, but a small 9mm "zip" gun, or a pen gun could easily be broken down into several non-descrip pieces, each carried onto a flight by several other passengers. that don't appear to be traveling together,,, then could easily be assembled on the plane into a usable gun...

Edited by Adeeos

Two bullets from this police man and they want to crucify him. But they accepted back there gun touting police chief back to Thailand. Big differance about two bullets and a gun with bullets between this young main and there police chief who was busted in Japan for gun and bullets. The Thai laws have two faces!

A bullet. Can't do anything with "a bullet". But, I think it's ok to carry a knife in your checked luggage? Does this make any sense at all?

Try to enter the US, UK or EU with bullet(s) in your bags and see what happens, it will not cost B 80 000 to get out of jail, his legal fees will be USD 80 K. Google home made guns and you will see that if you have the ammo the rest is easy. Next thing would be someone coming in with 10 g C4, where do you draw the line. Laws are laws and laws regarding moving ammo between countries are very standard - it is not allowed without proper authorisation.

Right - so how come Japan, which has very strict laws allows a Thai ex cop to walk without any charges after being caught trying to take a fully loaded pistol on board a flight in his hand luggage? A pistol which he never really explained how he obtained it, where he obtained it or how he brought it into Japan?

A fully loaded pistol, not able to explain ownership - allowed to walk and faces no charges back home.

Two 9 mm bullets - crime of the century by another foreign culprit.

Usual hypocrisy, xenophobia and completely nonsensical application of law.

A Thai police chief ca carry a gun and bullets to Japan with no detection. Just shows you a little about Thai airplane security, A Norwegian policeman brings two two bullets into Thailand and they want to give him 80,000 Thai baht fine. But no fine one of the most honorably police chiefs nothing. Gun and ammo on plane to Japan and no detection. But two bullets they can find. The thai cooking for there police is untouchable. He should still be in a Japan jail!

Putting bullets in passengers suitcases is also a new scam i read last week. The airportsecurity does it on the Phillipine airports to extort passengers.

Actually an old scam that's probably now run its course; the threat to tourism from recent publicity has made the Filipino authorities sit up, take notice and fire the relevant NAIA workers.

Wouldbe 'fun' when the two 9mmPB rounds would be from one of the two local Thai ammunition factories (as far as I know not exported to Norway)...

can someone explain how can someone 'accidentally' put two bullets in a bag?

Possibility - Policeman shoots at a shooting range, empties cartridge box in his jacket pocket, forgets to take the last 2 cartridges out of the pocket before he packs his bag. Easy. wink.png

Saw a guy in a TV - Airport smugglers series production - having one live ammunition cartridge with him which was in a transit airport detected.

He wanted to make the cartridge attached to a chain to wear on his neck in his home country so he said.

Same - bigger problems in that country - airport too. rolleyes.gif

Putting bullets in passengers suitcases is also a new scam i read last week. The airportsecurity does it on the Phillipine airports to extort passengers.

There was no airport security scam here, and this is Thailand, not the Philippines. You should find a flipper forum to post comments like this.

'Thais wouldn't do that!', OK with you now? As you seem to see 'Thai bashing' everywhere! Maybe because you're as new in the LoS as on TV, or what's driving you? Are you one of those 'Thai-Thai' pride preachers, maybe?

Many a poster here has been learning fast and the hard way about a local sport, not even considered a minor sin by Thais in general: scamming Farang; most of those Farang still love the country and its, 'small' (not rich or connected), people (though very weary about the others, especially when wearing a uniform, from any colour), but you wouldn't allow them to share about their bad experience(s) to protect others?

Your good right to dislike their irony, ...but ours to dislike the possible hypocrisy on your side!

....but he accepted that they (the bullets) were his, so nice try at besmirching the immigration officers - why do you put the blame on them at every possible opportunity. Why don't you find a topic whereby you can add something useful to it instead of posting critical rubbish that doesn't hold up.

Aaah, ...but he 'confessed'! Yeah, wanna talk a bit about RTP and 'confessions', KT f.i.? Nooo, also would be 'Thai bashing' for you... Wonder what's written, in Thai only, on that paper, that (experienced, accredited?) translator is obviously telling him about... Had he already undersigned it maybe? Being told it would not be a big deal at all, ...when he would 'confess'? And then after being detained, photographed for/by the media, to understand he was considered as a major criminal? Oh, and no (English speaking) attorney around, nobody from the Norvegian Consulate (not informed yet then?). No 'Thai bashing', just daily routine attitude towards Farang...

....but he accepted that they (the bullets) were his, so nice try at besmirching the immigration officers - why do you put the blame on them at every possible opportunity. Why don't you find a topic whereby you can add something useful to it instead of posting critical rubbish that doesn't hold up.

Aaah, ...but he 'confessed'! Yeah, wanna talk a bit about RTP and 'confessions', KT f.i.? Nooo, also would be 'Thai bashing' for you... Wonder what's written, in Thai only, on that paper, that (experienced, accredited?) translator is obviously telling him about... Had he already undersigned it maybe? Being told it would not be a big deal at all, ...when he would 'confess'? And then after being detained, photographed for/by the media, to understand he was considered as a major criminal? Oh, and no (English speaking) attorney around, nobody from the Norvegian Consulate (not informed yet then?). No 'Thai bashing', just daily routine attitude towards Farang...

He didn't have to confess, he just didn't argue the fact that they were his bullets. In other words, he realised that he had forgotten to take them out.

Nothing in this story - bit of a costly mistake though in terms of a hefty fine and lost holiday (at least the start of it).

Of course this would never happen in Thailand!!!!, or have they picked up on a new "earner"

Philippine airport bullet scam putting travellers on guard Several travellers are said to have been targets of an extortion scam involving security staff planting bullets in their luggage.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asiapacific/philippine-airport-bullet/2247638.html

I can relate to the OP. A few years ago when I was a member of the TRG in the NT Police in Oz, I use to carry the same backpack everywhere, including several hundred trips to the shooting ranges. I always had a collection of live rounds and blanks in that bag. No more than about 15 or so at any one time. You don't have to account for every single round in most Australian Police Forces. I also use to carry CS gas and other smaller explosive devices in it, but they always found their way back to the armory or were used up on the range. But on a trip to Bali from Sydney, Security grabbed my backpack and wanted to know why I was carrying a metal fork, which they duly confiscated because it was considered a dangerous weapon. I wasn't going to argue as just as they were giving me a lecture, it dawned on me that I had my work backpack and there was ammunition in it. Cleared Security without any further hassle, and quickly found an AFP Officer and handed over all my ammo to him explaining my situation. No problem as he took it from me and all good. The idea of an Indonesian investigation didn't appeal to me. So it can happen. I was an idiot not to check my bag before leaving home. Lesson learnt as I then bought a new backpack for travel only. Cheers.

You used to carry live rounds and blank rounds together?

I'm glad I was never on a training exercise with you!

Didn't you have to give a declaration to a superior rank before leaving the range, you know: "I have no live rounds, blank rounds, empty cases or pyrotechnics in my possession sir".

It's a possibility, If they were positioned the right way, when scanned in Oslo, they may have only appeared as 2 small round, "spots"... NOT appear as bullets, then on the transfer flight to Phuket, it was scanned again an were obviously bullets,,, I've flown many, many times with a, "tactical" pen, an ink pen that's meant to be used for self-deffence.. I just bundle it with other pens, etc with a rubber band... I've been told by TSA it's pretty much at the descretion of the officer wether to allow them or not,, doing it as I've stated, never been an issue... While he seems to simply made an honest mistake,, those that state, "you can't do anything with a bullet alone",, this is true, but a small 9mm "zip" gun, or a pen gun could easily be broken down into several non-descrip pieces, each carried onto a flight by several other passengers. that don't appear to be traveling together,,, then could easily be assembled on the plane into a usable gun...

When I was in the army, a "tactical pen" was a pencil - you could use them to write in your notebook when it was raining!

smile.png

Judging by the size of the wad of cash on the table in the bottom left of the picture. One can conclude that this young man is probably already on his way home.

I was told that there are (legally) two fine systems at the airport. One for nationals, and the other for foreigners. Looks like he got the max foreigner fine! No normal Thai can EVER pay a 80k baht fine. It takes most Thais 8 months to EARN that amount, but to SAVE that amount? A lifetime. Never. Most will die without 80k baht saved up.

Yes JAG,live and blanks were carried together. There is a huge difference between the two so you couldn't get it wrong. These rounds were not my go to rounds, just left overs from various shoots etc. I would still go to the ammo box for reloads. As far as the range rules went, we actually had our own range and kill house and the rules were somewhat relaxed as most of us were qualified Range Officers so we just took turns at running the shoot, and it was fairly loose. Granted your General Duties Police were a tad more stricter and everything was a lot more formal, but still ammunition was was not accountable. For the qualifying shoots every few months, they would just turn up on duty already fully armed, blast away for a couple of hours, and then resume duty fully armed, without anyone really caring how many rounds each individual shot or was responsible for. Completely different to Military shoots where you have the 'yes sir, no sir' stuff. Not sure if the OP is actually on active duty in the Norwegian Police as a Trainee or still in training, and without knowing their procedures, it is hard to make a call. All I'm saying it can be an oversight on his part. In this day and age, probably an oversight that you don't want to make. Cheers.

- Comparison with the MP: useless, the let go of the MP shouldn't affect the handling of this as 2 bads don't make 1 good.

- Norwegian police should be more considerate with their amo. And this guy should know how / where to store his remaining bullets.

- Norwegian airport security should probably have picked it up but I guess one can overlook something, I don't recognize a living elephant on those scanners.

- Thai security did their job, well done.

- A scam: what a co-incidence they play it on a police guy who can't recognize these bullets to be not his, unlikely the scammer check the resume's from each suitcase's owner prior to planting some bullets. That such scams exist is worrying though.

Should he be sentenced to jail or 80K? No of course not, a slap on the wrist here will teach him his lesson. And by this publication, hopefully a professional warning without further immediate consequenses as well. Teach him, don't punish him (didn't the bible say something as "he who is without sins fire the first bullet"?). As Norwegian Embassy (on of the better ones around) is on the case I hope that my verdict will be close to reality. Amen.

Note at Fekman: it takes many Thais not more than an hour or a day to earn 80K ... a minority I admit but not small number I can tell you. Many many poor Thai but, surely amongst those frequenting airports also many Thai who are blxxdy rich.

I am no expert but it seems to be a very harsh punishment for carrying 2 bullets .

yes, especially seeing as how he is a police officer. clearly just an oversight on his part. but he's a foreigner, so let's make it into an international incident.

I guess you are trying to say that in Norway Police don't account for ammunition? taking ammo onto a flight is only an 'oversight' for Norway Police?

you are putting words into my mouth. no, that's not what i said. at any rate, what are you trying to say?

have you ever possessed firearms and ammunition, and actually used them? anybody who has done a lot of shooting will probably have hundreds or thousands of rounds lying around. i certainly did

. have you ever gone to a firing range and expended several hundred rounds of ammo? (very easy to do) i certainly did.

and do you think every round is meticulously accounted for?

what do you think this guy was going to do with 2 9mm rounds? start world war 3?

Judging by the size of the wad of cash on the table in the bottom left of the picture. One can conclude that this young man is probably already on his way home.

I hope he is not the victim of the bullet scam similar to what is going on in the Philippines. Either way, paying 80k baht to avoid time in a Thai jail is s no brainer.

I am no expert but it seems to be a very harsh punishment for carrying 2 bullets .

Don't go to Brunei if you think this is harsh.

5 years for possession even if the bullet is chrome plated and worn around the neck on a chain like a necklace.

When I was in the army, a "tactical pen" was a pencil - you could use them to write in your notebook when it was raining!

smile.png

Yep, purple colour, anylin(?), breaking like glass and s..t to cut a point on, I remember, and tearing right through the, bad, paper too, those were the days...