Thai Post Office Responsibility?

bikerider21

I ordered a small item on eBay from China, worth 1,200 baht and it never turned up.

I got the delivery details from the seller, the last one was "sent out for delivery Chiang Mai"

The local post office delivered it to the wrong address. They tried to retrieve it from thd person who signed the receipt form but they denied it.

Finally, the responsibility lies with the poor delivery man. He admits responsibility but says he doesn't have the money and can he pay monthly.

The post office received my money for safe delivery of the item so why don't they take responsibility?

Surely, this can't be the right way.

What are the rules? Does anyone know!?

Sorry you are wrong, presumably you paid the company/person in China?

In that case its their responsibility not yours. They paid the postal service to provide a service to deliver it to you, they havnt done that.

This is the "sellers" responsibility and the post office will tell you that the "sender" has to make the complaint etc not the "receiver".

From your point of view its a simple "goods not received". This is the sellers problem.

As far as I understand it, all the power on Ebay lies with the buyer not the seller.

If you paid via Paypal, all you have to do is make a report on Ebay that the item didn't arrive and your money is automatically refunded by Paypal who then take the money from the seller's account.

I'm a longtime eBayer and can also confirm that you're barking up the wrong tree.

It's a simple case of the item hasn't been received.

This is an eBay UK link but is pretty uniform online. My only caveat is that you check that your purchase was originally listed as protected under the eBay Money Back Guarantee.

It's really not necessary to fall out with the postman as it won't change a thing, other than he'll despise you.

http://sellercentre.ebay.co.uk/ebay-buyer-protection-policy

Get a PO Box.

You received your items ( e Bay ) in your PO Box, no problems ? I have a PO Box, but for items bought on e Bay, so far I gave my real adress and received them ok, because I was not confident in PO Box for this operation

I have reasons not to trust 100% my post office

I don't see how the Chinese seller is responsible for the actions of a postman in Thailand.

If there was a tracking number, and the report said it has been delivered to CM then it's been delivered as far as the Chinese seller is concerned.

The posties responsibility ? Probably, this is Thailand. Your mistake - you pay.

All the guys at my post office are cool, the postman tries to get to me while I'm at home if poss, the EMS van guy has my phone number - I know it's the inconvenience, 1200b - just forget it, hopefully you will get better service in the future if you do and the guy who stole your parcel will find his letters in the bin down the road.

Oh, no need for a PO box,just get your boxes labeled "pick up from PO" and speak with the staff, they will just keep it for you, awaiting pickup.

It's like this everywhere in Thailand. If a clerk or cashier makes a mistake, they are out-of-pocket. This seems fair, at first glance, but when you consider what these poor folks make per month, it is really severe punishment. The fact that the postal carrier admitted his mistake, and asked for some time to make good, should make you think about whether or not to hold his feet to the fire, or just forgive him, and take the hit.

Too bad that, unlike the West, the company never will back up the employee. Me, I would be understanding, and ask him to help insure that it doesn't happen again.

Different story, if he denied it, or was defiant...

Well Bike Rider, stop taking whatever medication you are on as it causes

hallucinations like Thai " responsibility" which was replaced 50 years ago

with High Level Deniability, finger pointing and, when all else fails, the

wide eyed look of an animal caught in your headlights accompanied by the nowworld famous " WAT ? "

That's life! At least they admitted their mistake, this can happen anywhere in the world!

E bay though are very good, just inform e bay through disputes and you will either be sent another one or a full refund, but remember to ask for recorded delivery and make sure your address is correct and not what you think maybe okay.

Edited by Pdavies99

In Sweden only trackable or insured packages are the post offices responsibility. if the package was signed for then its also their responsibility. Dont let the delivery guy or anyone else go away with this. Complain to higher instances if possible. or tell seller package not delivered.. Go talk again in a nice way and record it on your phone where they say it.

Edited by sead

On the face of it, it's the sellers responsibility because you didn't receive the goods.

However the seller in this case, has a signature for the goods.

If the postman genuinely delivered it to the wrong address but the signatory refuses to return the goods, why didn't the PO report it to the Police.

It's fraud!

Some years ago I purchased an x-box from an e-bay seller, through paypal, as did 5 others.

Never delivered to any of the 5 buyers.

The seller gave false details, name, address and closed the bank account immediately after payments were made.

Through the sellers history, I found one item she purchased, so I contacted the seller who fortunately still had her details, that being her true name and address where he posted the goods.

Paypal and e-bay were useless and clueless.

The seller (young girl) actually lived local to me, so I called at the home.

She admitted everything, but had spent the money. I reported it to the Police and gave the Police report number to paypal and e-bay.

We were then told because the seller is under Police investigation, paypal will only refund us if the Police recover the money.

So much for the money back guarantee.

Never got a refund.

Never used e-bay or paypal since.

Well, it may have been the sellers responsibility, but since they sent it to the correct mailing address, and someone signed for this package in Thailand for it, no matter who, his obligation is finished.

I had the same problem here once with True Vision. They sent me by Registered Mail a Rebate Check as I had moved locations. When I never received it after some time I called them and they started an investigation. They called me back to inform me that this checked was sent to the correct address, was signed, and therefore there obligation was completed with me.

I was quite taken back by there response. Especially since this check was never cashed yet. But it was what it was and the Sender had no intentions of looking any further then they already had. So I was left to do my own investigation.

Turned out that this check was never delivered here. The Mail Man forged a name and took the check home. When found out he returned the check to me the following day. No charges were laid and he was not penalized. It just became one of those: "Oh Well!".

It's like this everywhere in Thailand. If a clerk or cashier makes a mistake, they are out-of-pocket. This seems fair, at first glance, but when you consider what these poor folks make per month, it is really severe punishment. The fact that the postal carrier admitted his mistake, and asked for some time to make good, should make you think about whether or not to hold his feet to the fire, or just forgive him, and take the hit.

Too bad that, unlike the West, the company never will back up the employee. Me, I would be understanding, and ask him to help insure that it doesn't happen again.

Different story, if he denied it, or was defiant...

With the Thai address system the way it is,i rekon posties deserve gold medals.

Sorry you are wrong, presumably you paid the company/person in China?

In that case its their responsibility not yours. They paid the postal service to provide a service to deliver it to you, they havnt done that.

This is the "sellers" responsibility and the post office will tell you that the "sender" has to make the complaint etc not the "receiver".

From your point of view its a simple "goods not received". This is the sellers problem.

It is not a simple "goods not received"

The item has been signed for. paypal and ebay both except that as proof of delivery

Ok seller responsible but was informed that delivery undertaken albeit to the wrong person/persons known/unknown, sorry but thai side is responsible as in not the post office fault but employee of same, my advice or input take the loss I know you maybe angry at the delivery agent but compassion rules the heart the poor man gets little income as it is yes by all means vent on him and I truly sorry this happened to you, touch wood I have and engage in many purchases via e-bay with not 1 hiccup.

quick tip for ebay deliveries,

always write a cell phone number in the actual adress lines. Since the adress system is sometimes confusing, delivery companies tend to call to confirm adresses beforehand. Delivery guys recognize a Thai cell phone number and call to confirm.

Never missed a shipment.

cheers,

Laughable from china huh, normally free postage and packing included in price with also free tracking, not to mention the savings involved buying from within Asia.

A lot of copies of premium goods come from China via eBay to Australia. The copy may be priced at $10, and the postage is $60-$70.

I've given up on eBay. Goods not as per description, not delivered, broken when received, getting a refund is like extracting blood from a stone.

On the selling side, ineffective. Gumtree does much better.

If BOHICA makes you happy, go for it. gigglem.gif

Edited by bazza40