My air cooled monoshock trials bike project (pic heavy)

thaiguzzi

Guzzi, your new project must be something really special, if it makes you letting go of this beauty, hope it will find a good new owner.

I'll have already too many bikes and too little time to ride and work on them ( the Lifan project is gathering dust for months now)

Keep us updated on your new project... I'm curious :-)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guzzi, your new project must be something really special, if it makes you letting go of this beauty, hope it will find a good new owner.

I'll have already too many bikes and too little time to ride and work on them ( the Lifan project is gathering dust for months now)

Keep us updated on your new project... I'm curious :-)

Yes, DB, thank you for the kind comments, this new project has a lot of potential, and will be special when finished, but also will need money throwing at it with imported parts as nothing is available over here. And a ton of work... Hence selling my Yamaha-Aprilia to pay for parts, new paint etc. Should pick it up next week hopefully. Pics to follow...

It will be a sad day when she goes, it's rare for me to sell any of my bikes, especially to the general public. Virtually every bike i ever sold in the UK went to friends.

The Aprilia Climber had some georgous bits from the factory; the yokes (triple trees, triple clamps in 'Mercan) and the wheel hubs are real works of art, you could not even remove one ounce in weight from these items. Bodywork plastics, being Acerbis is top quality as are the Brembo brakes and Foral forks.

I always thought the Italians made the best trials bikes when they really got stuck into the scene. The best of the twin shockers late 70's early 80's was the Fantic. Then the Yamaha ty250 mono came along in 83/84 and made all twin shocks obselete overnight. Within a couple of years, the Italians had brought out even superior bikes which ruled the air cooled mono trials world like Fantic, Beta, and Aprilia, up until water cooling and the radical Spanish Gas Gas bikes came out in the early 90's.

post-139129-0-80936400-1454123915_thumb.

Edited by thaiguzzi

Thanx Papa, i believe the Climber won the world championship in 91 or 92. 94 was the last year they competed, 95 they got out of trials altogether.

Excellent exercise Papa. Best done early in the morning or late in the afternoon. After 45 mins you will be sweating buckets.

Also great skills learning with balance, body positioning, throttle and clutch control, all done in 1st or 2nd gear generally, so a lot less chance of broken collar bones, wrists, etc you get with out and out motocross and higher speeds.

• 1 month later...

The object of this thread is now for sale. Unfortunately.

The above photo gives a glimpse of the new project(s) behind. I'll start a new thread regarding those later.

Before it goes onto the general market, with proper ads on here and B&S later next week, anyone who's been following this thread, and wants an ideal beginner's trials bike, or something that can comfortably do C or clubman's sections, pm me.

Thanx,

Mike.

All four bikes are 1984 model Japanese market Yamaha ty 250 monoshocks. Google Yamaha ty250 mono for more info.

Basically, the first mass produced monoshock trials bikes. Apparently in 84, they were the Ferraris of the trials world, by 86, most companies had caught up, and by 89 they were the VW Beetle of the trials world.

I picked these 4 complete bikes up, c/w a BUNCH of spares, inc mudguards, rear wheel, front hub, spokes, and a complete motor from a guy in Chang Mai, who was clearing the last of his Yamaha 2 stroke trials stuff out.

The one with the blue bars has had a recent rebore, and runs well.

The one on the far right ran, but poorly, and now after a bit of fettling, runs even better than the above, although the forks are bottoming out big time.

The one, 2nd from left is in decent shape, but top end is removed.

The furthest on the left, with the black headlamp, speedo, and scrambler/moto cross front tyre, has the engine out. This bike is the only one with a proper competion frame from the factory, ie no excess lugs or brackets whatsoever. The other frames will be cut about and details copied from this frame.

What's that............ Buy 1 get 4?

Before selling you should swap the front fork from the Aprilia ( or was it yamilia)

LOL, yeah had to buy all 4. It was 4 or none...

Building two identical twins, a 3rd for spares, and selling one on. Or build 3, and keep one for spares. Undecided, till i pull them apart a bit more, and have more playing time with the 2 runners. They all need fork seals etc. they will need a bunch of stuff when i'm in the UK later this year. H/bar levers, new throttles, proper Rennthal alloy h/bars, cables, gasket sets, footrest bling etc etc.

But this thread is about the Aprilia-Yamaha, i'll start a new ty250 mono thread later.

Sorry, the Yamilia will be sold with the Foral USD forks, new seals, dust caps and some dinky sexy gaitors.

Same bike.

Except;

it's an '86 on, with the sidestand on the right.

Has an aftermarket alloy k/start lever.

Has the nice 3 litre plastic tank. Only one of my bikes has that tank, the other 3 have 4 litre steel tanks.

Correctomondo - c/heads are nice and perdy, c/barrels aint too shabby either with side draught ex ports.

Mucho thanx to the guys following this thread, and showing interest in the "Yamilia". I've had 3 pms all wishing to purchase the bike. First come first served unfortunately. Saves me writing adverts and uploading photos, selling to unknown people and possible tyre kickers etc.

Again, thanx guys.

Well, the end of this thread is nigh, unless the new owner wishes to continue, or start a new thread. New owner is a TVF member and regular contributor on motorcycle topics.

The bike is now sold, i have received a fair price, and the bike will be delivered to the new owner after Sonkran.

Gracias, Amigos!

post-139129-0-65650100-1460084854_thumb.

Thanx DB.

Flat cap is compulsory riding gear for a trials bike (note ill fitting due to drenched sweat band u'neath).

Proper trials boots are highly recommended.

Gloves, helmet unneccessary.

Body armour et al totally unneccessary.

Loose fitting shirt preferred over t-shirt - again sweat drenched.

Bonsoir...

# Dougie Lampkin is now 40. His father, Martin, the first world champion in '75 died last week, aged mid '60s.

# It's more rider than bike in trials. However, my little Yamilia 142 would be hard pressed to do any of the tricks in the 2012 vid with Tony Bou. Steering geometry, world class rear shock and front forks (read expensive!), and a 20 kg weight difference makes a world of difference.

# I've seen some modern water cooled bikes for sale recently on the net. A Sherco for 149k, and a Beta for 125k. Both oooop north.