Saigon or Hanoi?

Genericnic

A friend of mine and I are heading to VN for about 2 weeks with the trip starting in Hanoi and ending in Saigon. In allocating days, I am wondering if it is better to spend the longer time (about 4-5 days) in Hanoi and a shorter time (3-4 days) in Saigon or the other way around. We are mostly interested in food, culture, and photography rather than a bar scene or hanging out with mostly tourists.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

David

The question is when?

Hanoi will be chilly for the next three months.

Outside of that I would spend more time up there....fascinating city.

Thanks smokie36

We'll be there from December 8 until December 21.

Chilly isn't an issue. I spent a year in Chicago. smile.png

David

Edited by Genericnic

very hard to give blanket statement on what YOU like, or we all go to the same city......

south maybe friendlier to americans based on history....but might not be based on what you do and who you meet, of course

tons of motorbikes in saigon but tons up north....maybe more down south...so if you like being on the roads, the south is harder.....

i say start south and spend the extra day down south......it might get a little harder as you go up north. and taking trains might be a bad idea.

and expect everyone to bother you for cash....they are the capitalists of SE Asia....they will ask 24 hours a day.....but i liked it...

but i'm not you.. ...and taking pictures might be better up north. but i don't know what you like to take pictures of... lol

coffee1.gif

Just read couple posts, yes for an American, more biased up North or better said more of that communist dislike from mid-VN up. North VN has same dislike for Americans as North Koreans do, but restrain more for tourism. Stay in public areas, walk with small backpacks in front & walk streets anticipating where traffic may go & quickly. Driving in VN is a model city for people driving with no traffic lights or laws.

Although both cities have a lot to offer, for "food, culture, and photography" I would give Hanoi a decided edge. Especially if you stay in the old city quarters. I was there last April with the pretty much the same goals in mind and found it a rich rewarding experience.

As far as anti-Americanism goes I found zero evidence of it both north and south. And I was there on the 40th anniversary of the country's reunification. The end of the American war. Quite the contrary I was continually approached on the street by friendly strangers wanting to talk with me, to have their picture taken with an American. Made lots of friends and acquaintances and was invited out many times.

Hanoi has much fresher air. I was in Saigon first and had developed a bad cough after only a few days. It's motorbike city down there with the crazy drivers driving up on the sidewalk and whizzing past you, missing you by inches. Best thing I did was hiring a Motodop (female)who took me everywhere for a few days. A local guide/translator and transportation rolled into one. Ate local foods and saw neighborhood cultures I never would have predicted.

The people were just absolutely wonderful. As an American this came as a shock. Enjoy. You're going to have a lot of fun.

I prefer Hanoi. Though both are very crowded, I love the chaos of old town in Hanoi. The speakers coming on at 6am, food hawkers up and down the streets....very interesting. Plus, there are some great trips outside Hanoi. Halong bay is an absolute must. A trip down the river to the big cave is stunning. Or a trip up into the mountains...can't remember the name of the town, but it's beautiful...and probably cold in December.

Vietnam is great to explore.

Hello,

First of all, how are you going to move to Sai Gon from Ha Noi?

Considering that you're going to spend 8-9 days in these two

cities out of about 2 weeks in VN, you should fly. As you know,

it's more than 1,700km between them by road and by train.

Secondly, where else are you planning to visit on your way,

Ha Long Bay, Sa Pa, Da Nang, Hoi An, Nha Trang or Mui Ne

and/or Da Lat?

As for Sai Gon, you can easily spend at least 3 days there:

sightseeing around the city on Day 1, going on a day trip

to The Mekong Delta on Day 2, going on another day trip

to Chu Chi Tunnel on Day 3 for example.

When I went to Da Lat in December it was super freezing

and to Ha Noi in February it was cold and wet.

It'd be great for you to tell me a bit more about your travel

plans.

Hello,

First of all, how are you going to move to Sai Gon from Ha Noi?

Considering that you're going to spend 8-9 days in these two

cities out of about 2 weeks in VN, you should fly. As you know,

it's more than 1,700km between them by road and by train.

Secondly, where else are you planning to visit on your way,

Ha Long Bay, Sa Pa, Da Nang, Hoi An, Nha Trang or Mui Ne

and/or Da Lat?

As for Sai Gon, you can easily spend at least 3 days there:

sightseeing around the city on Day 1, going on a day trip

to The Mekong Delta on Day 2, going on another day trip

to Chu Chi Tunnel on Day 3 for example.

When I went to Da Lat in December it was super freezing

and to Ha Noi in February it was cold and wet.

It'd be great for you to tell me a bit more about your travel

plans.

Hi Too

Starting in Hanoi for 4 days and then heading south by train. I love trains. Just as a note, all the train travel will be overnight in a sleeper so We are not loosing a day of sightseeing. While in Hanoi, we might do a side trip to Ha Long Bay or Sa Pa. Just depends.

One the way down, stopping in Hue overnight and then over to Da Nang. Haven't decided whether to do the train or hire a car for the drive through Hai Van Pass on the way to Da Nang. From Da Nang it is over to Hoi An. At least 2 nights in Hoi An. From Hoi An it is back to Da Nang to catch the train down to Saigon. We'll finish up the last 3 or 4 days there before heading back to BKK.

I won't mind the cold weather. After the trip to Europe early this year, I came to realize that one of the things I missed occasionally was cold weather.

David

Just a note, Halong is worth at least 2 full days. It's pretty much the top attraction there. Hue is OK, Hoi An, Dalat, etc. But don't skimp on Halong. At least 2 nights in each destination. Otherise, you're losing too much time in travel.

P.S. internal travel is not necessarily one of the highlights of a trip to VN! LOL

Just a note, Halong is worth at least 2 full days. It's pretty much the top attraction there. Hue is OK, Hoi An, Dalat, etc. But don't skimp on Halong. At least 2 nights in each destination. Otherise, you're losing too much time in travel.

P.S. internal travel is not necessarily one of the highlights of a trip to VN! LOL

Thanks.

That is why I do most of the train travel at night. :)

David

Halong is a total dump. plastic bags floating everywhere, and vendors chasing you around by boat wherever you go....

not to mention the dangers of the live-aboards, which you can google if you don't believe me....Best way to visit it, is to get a copy of the movie Indochine and pretend Catherine Denueuve is sitting beside you while you sip on your single malt....

Halong is a total dump. plastic bags floating everywhere, and vendors chasing you around by boat wherever you go....

not to mention the dangers of the live-aboards, which you can google if you don't believe me....Best way to visit it, is to get a copy of the movie Indochine and pretend Catherine Denueuve is sitting beside you while you sip on your single malt....

My buddy just got back from a month there. He's a hard core naturalist. Said it was the best places he's visited in SE Asia so far.

But yes, it is crowded, but so is Yosemite national park in the US. And for good reason. It's stunning!

I've not been for about 10 years, but hear they are now forcing boats to add filters to reduce problems with bilge pumps. I loved my 2 day trip.

Thanks.

That is why I do most of the train travel at night. smile.png

David

I'm a train nut also, but find I don't get quality sleep on trains. I'm beat the next day and can't fully enjoy where I am. So I fly and get there quick and fresh for a day of exploring.

I flew for only a small amount of money from Hoi An to Hanoi. Worked out great.

We just did 3 nights in Hanoi, then traveled to Halong bay and did a 3 day 2 night trip on a Junk boat, then back to Hanoi overnight and a train trip to Sapa where we did a 2 nights and a lot of walking. We were back into Hanoi for a night then off to Da Nang by air where we stayed in Hoi An for nearly a week. All I can say is wow.. really enjoyed the trip and can't wait to go back. If you want more specifics just send me a PM.

Fresh beer for about 15 baht a mug.. yummy

Kurt

Hi Too

Starting in Hanoi for 4 days and then heading south by train. I love trains. Just as a note, all the train travel will be overnight in a sleeper so We are not loosing a day of sightseeing. While in Hanoi, we might do a side trip to Ha Long Bay or Sa Pa. Just depends.

One the way down, stopping in Hue overnight and then over to Da Nang. Haven't decided whether to do the train or hire a car for the drive through Hai Van Pass on the way to Da Nang. From Da Nang it is over to Hoi An. At least 2 nights in Hoi An. From Hoi An it is back to Da Nang to catch the train down to Saigon. We'll finish up the last 3 or 4 days there before heading back to BKK.

I won't mind the cold weather. After the trip to Europe early this year, I came to realize that one of the things I missed occasionally was cold weather.

David

If you should choose to go to Sapa, you can hop on one of the two trains

leaving Hà Nội in the evening and arriving at Lào Cai, a gateway to Sapa,

the following morning, and then one of the two trains departing Lào Cai in

the evening and getting back to Hà Nội the next morning.

http://www.vetau.com.vn/

I have spent a few nights in Hội An and loved this lovely town. It was a bit

touristy, though.

I'd strongly suggest that you NOT drive in VN because the locals drive

just like crazy, especially when overtaking. Nerve-wracking! I took a

tourist bus from Huế to Hội An through Đà Nẵng.

If you have time, I'd recommend you to stop over at Nha Trang for a few

nights on the way down to Sài Gòn from Đà Nẵng by train. The beach

wasn't too bad and I'd enjoy 'Bia hơi' or VN draught beer (13B per litre)

every day.

Edited by Too

I've heard so many Americans worry about their reception in Vietnam. It was 40 years ago! Come on up to the 21st century! Vietnam is a growing modern country filled with hard working young people and families who only want to improve their lot in the "here and now". They do NOT live in the past. Go to Vietnam, a beautiful country, top to bottom.

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Hanoi and the temp to-day is 29C - the forecast for the next month is on average 25 by day and 18 by night. Ho Chi Minh can be done in two days and Hanoi will need three -personally I find Hanoi much more interesting, that's why I live here. Culturally rich and much more authentic . Ho Chi Minh is becoming a mini Bangkok in my opinion.

I live in Hanoi and the temp to-day is 29C - the forecast for the next month is on average 25 by day and 18 by night. Ho Chi Minh can be done in two days and Hanoi will need three -personally I find Hanoi much more interesting, that's why I live here. Culturally rich and much more authentic . Ho Chi Minh is becoming a mini Bangkok in my opinion.

Thanks for the information. The temperature sounds about perfect. We have 4 nights booked in Hanoi. Only 3 nights in Saigon. Hitting up Hue (1 night) and Hoi An (3 nights) along the way. It is our first trip to Vietnam so it will provide something of an overview for future trips.

David

Saigon for the intensely classy architectures, comfortable weather and various street cuisines, also posess hospitable people all the way.

Ha Noi also good for its classy beauty, friendly people and typically superb services.

But to me Saigon is superior to Hanoi.

If can you should spend time visit both places

• 3 weeks later...

"We are mostly interested in food, culture, and photography rather than a bar scene or hanging out with mostly tourists."

Then I reccomend Hanoi

As most people. Hanoi is neither. It's the southeast version of Los Angeles in Nam, a toilet bowl filled traffic & overlooked violence. As a tourist best is the middle, starting with Hoi An. Check-in in Saigon, northern Vietnam, the predominate communist, hate-Americans' region is more busy (& having to be too alert) than fun.

"We are mostly interested in food, culture, and photography rather than a bar scene or hanging out with mostly tourists."

Then I reccomend Hanoi

As most people. Hanoi is neither. It's the southeast version of Los Angeles in Nam, a toilet bowl filled traffic & overlooked violence. As a tourist best is the middle, starting with Hoi An. Check-in in Saigon, northern Vietnam, the predominate communist, hate-Americans' region is more busy (& having to be too alert) than fun.

Have you ever been to Los Angeles? I get the traffic part but seriously a toilet bowl and overlooked violence. Maybe I'm being a bit defensive but that's not the LA where I lived for 20+ years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Born & raised in Los Angeles since the late sixties but live Thailand now. Los Angeles is a feeding ground for gangs now, the rich of course stay their areas where the police are fat & well (legally) bribed. Outside the smell of urine & cigarettes when driving through Hollywood, the city as a whole is a cesspool of vagrants, crime, pollution & city corruption. Unlike any other country, there's the tourist cities & there's the one that real people live in.

Thanks for all the comments folks.

The trip was great. Lots of great food and coffee, nice people, and interesting things to see and do.

When I go back, I'll adjust the time spent in the different places. Hanoi and Hue will get more, Saigon a bit less, and probably skip Hoi An all together. We'll probably head up farther north as well.

If you like trains, I really do recommend the overnight soft sleepers. Much better than the equivalent on Thai trains plus they pretty much run on time. smile.png Bring your own food though. The Thai trains have them beat on that issue.

Thanks again.

David

post-107798-0-20405600-1451032856_thumb.

Bridge to Ngoc Son Temple on Lake Hoan Kiem

Thanks for all the comments folks.

The trip was great. Lots of great food and coffee, nice people, and interesting things to see and do.

When I go back, I'll adjust the time spent in the different places. Hanoi and Hue will get more, Saigon a bit less, and probably skip Hoi An all together. We'll probably head up farther north as well.

If you like trains, I really do recommend the overnight soft sleepers. Much better than the equivalent on Thai trains plus they pretty much run on time. smile.png Bring your own food though. The Thai trains have them beat on that issue.

Thanks again.

Glad you had a great time! I find Vietnam to be quite an adventure, and more enjoyable than Thailand at times. Vietnam and Thailand are quite different, but each have their own pros and cons. Hoi An is a nice place to stay for a couple nights....during a full moon is even better.

I also love the sleeper trains in Vietnam.

Then I reccomend Hanoi

The question was Saigon or Hanoi. Hoi An is not in Saigon or Hanoi.