World Cup: Thailand on brink of qualification after comeback win over Taiwan

webfact

WORLD CUP
Thailand on brink of qualification after comeback win over Taiwan

30272835-01_big.jpg?1447362109817
Photo : Tatchadon Panyaphanitkul

BANGKOK: -- Teerasil Dangda and Thana Chanabut each scored one goal and set up another to help Thailand secure a comeback 4-2 victory over a gritty Taiwan side yesterday, which put them on the brink of automatic qualification for the last-12 team round of the World Cup qualifiers.

The visiting Taiwan side stunned the boisterous crowd at the packed Rajamangala National stadium when Yen Yaki headed in a header from a corner only three minutes into the game. Briefly reeling from the early setback, the hosts, though, gradually asserted themselves on the match before their effort was rewarded when Teerasil equalised just before halftime.

Teerasil then turned provider after the interval by setting up Pokklaw Anan to put the Thais in front. However, the Taiwanese, who were without a point from their first three games, were able to restore the parity midway through the second half.

It was then left to substitute Thana to imitate Teerasil's feat by first teeing up Adisak Kraisorn to put the home side ahead again before sealing the crucial win with a 74th-minute strike, much to the delight of the capacity crowd.

The win left the Thais at the top of the table with 13 points from five matches, eight ahead of 2007 Asian champions and group favourites Iraq, who played two games fewer. It means the Thais just need a point from their final group match against the Iraqis in March to ensure direct passage into the final qualifying round for only the second time.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/sports/Thailand-on-brink-of-qualification-after-comeback--30272835.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-11-13

I saw the game on TV from 1-1 score. From what I saw the Taiwanese made some very stupid blatant obvious fouls and it cost them. Well done by Thai but other teams later might not be so obliging handing out free kicks. I thought that one Taiwanese player deserved the red card but he only got yellow.

I like the speed and never say die attitude of the Thai team. However, they will get smashed by the better quality teams if they do manage to qualify for the next stage, and I'll use the Thai - v Iraq ( home game for Thais ) as an example. Had all shots on goal been scored Iraq would have won 16-3. The Iraquis were nowhere near their best in that game and still managed to completely outclass a valiant Thai team. Thailand can consider themselves extremely lucky to get away with a draw. Iraq completely bombed 5 goals in the first 20 minutes, with an open goalmouth. They won't do that at home. I expect Iraq to win comprehensively in the return match in Iraq. Thailand needs to change a couple of things if they hope to continue to improve and succeed against the better quality Asian and world teams. They MUST stop trying to score by going straight through the centre. They score their best goals when they actually utilise wide players and draw the defence out. They MUST improve their passing game. Too many times they pass to a team mate that has 2 or 3 defenders around him, or their passes are just extremely poor quality and they lose possession. The top sides will crucify them if they keep doing this. Too many times they try to go through the centre when they (occasionally) have a man out wide and ignore him. They hardly ever have forwards or mid fielders that run into space to keep a move progressing. As I said I like their up tempo style of play and they have big hearts. Even when/if they lose to Iraq, 13 points should be enough to get them to the next stage as one of the 4 best group runners up. Unfortunately, if/when they do make the next stage, I honestly can't see them winning many games ( even home matches) against the quality of sides like Japan, South Korea, Australia, Saudi Arabia etc. But they have improved significantly, and there is plenty of room for more improvement. Maybe World Cup 2022 will be their best opportunity. Also the next Asian Championships (depending on groupings) could be a huge opportunity for them to take a huge leap forward, but they MUST improve on the areas that continue to let them down. As for the refereeing, once again the standard of refereeing was poor. Whilst last nights ref was better than most I have seen in Asia he still didn't have the guts to issue cards. There should have been more yellows for both teams and 2 straight REDS for Taiwan (aka Chinese Taipei). Once again assistant referees (linesmen) got offside decisions blatantly wrong. As a retired referee's examiner I have to wonder whether these referees have actually passed stringent field tests. They obviously know the laws of the game, but if I was conducting field tests they would fail. I have yet to see an Asian Confederation referee (with the exception of Japan, South Korea & Australia) that would pass a stringent field test. I know of many referees that pass the laws of the game examination and obtain a 100% result, but once they set foot on the field they're lacking in confidence and the ability to think on their feet. Basically, refereeing an actual game overwhelms them, even at junior level. I really do not understand how these referees get FIFA qualified. Maybe the C word that plagues FIFA at the moment has a lot to do with that.

Edited by TigerandDog

I like the speed and never say die attitude of the Thai team. However, they will get smashed by the better quality teams if they do manage to qualify for the next stage, and I'll use the Thai - v Iraq ( home game for Thais ) as an example. Had all shots on goal been scored Iraq would have won 16-3. The Iraquis were nowhere near their best in that game and still managed to completely outclass a valiant Thai team. Thailand can consider themselves extremely lucky to get away with a draw. Iraq completely bombed 5 goals in the first 20 minutes, with an open goalmouth. They won't do that at home. I expect Iraq to win comprehensively in the return match in Iraq. Thailand needs to change a couple of things if they hope to continue to improve and succeed against the better quality Asian and world teams. They MUST stop trying to score by going straight through the centre. They score their best goals when they actually utilise wide players and draw the defence out. They MUST improve their passing game. Too many times they pass to a team mate that has 2 or 3 defenders around him, or their passes are just extremely poor quality and they lose possession. The top sides will crucify them if they keep doing this. Too many times they try to go through the centre when they (occasionally) have a man out wide and ignore him. They hardly ever have forwards or mid fielders that run into space to keep a move progressing. As I said I like their up tempo style of play and they have big hearts. Even when/if they lose to Iraq, 13 points should be enough to get them to the next stage as one of the 4 best group runners up. Unfortunately, if/when they do make the next stage, I honestly can't see them winning many games ( even home matches) against the quality of sides like Japan, South Korea, Australia, Saudi Arabia etc. But they have improved significantly, and there is plenty of room for more improvement. Maybe World Cup 2022 will be their best opportunity. Also the next Asian Championships (depending on groupings) could be a huge opportunity for them to take a huge leap forward, but they MUST improve on the areas that continue to let them down. As for the refereeing, once again the standard of refereeing was poor. Whilst last nights ref was better than most I have seen in Asia he still didn't have the guts to issue cards. There should have been more yellows for both teams and 2 straight REDS for Taiwan (aka Chinese Taipei). Once again assistant referees (linesmen) got offside decisions blatantly wrong. As a retired referee's examiner I have to wonder whether these referees have actually passed stringent field tests. They obviously know the laws of the game, but if I was conducting field tests they would fail. I have yet to see an Asian Confederation referee (with the exception of Japan, South Korea & Australia) that would pass a stringent field test. I know of many referees that pass the laws of the game examination and obtain a 100% result, but once they set foot on the field they're lacking in confidence and the ability to think on their feet. Basically, refereeing an actual game overwhelms them, even at junior level. I really do not understand how these referees get FIFA qualified. Maybe the C word that plagues FIFA at the moment has a lot to do with that.

Sadly I don't think Thailand has a realistic chance for even "maybe World Cup 2022" not just for their footballing naivety (fixable within a generation) but because the "C word that plagues FIFA" is utterly dwarfed, if not financially on an individual basis, by the overall strength in depth of the C word that plagues Thailand at the moment has plagued Thailand since before it was Thailand.

interesting. I too thought the REF was miserable even it seemed to be Caucasian (from OZ?). The linesmen raised their flag way too early and got it wrong in several cases.

I am a retired REF / REF examiner / COACH too.

the standard of refereeing in Asia is truly gruesome. And most of them a cowards

Australia aren't the team they used to be. Saudis would be tough, but better than Korea or Japan, who should go through with ease. 2 groups of 6, top 2 qualify auto, 3rd place teams play off, who then play off again against play off winners from CONCACAF. Damn sight fairer playoff set up than last time, when Jordan had to playoff against Uruguay! Depending on the draw, a 3rd place finish isn't out of the question.