Where is the best place for me to live?

P4K

thanks for all the suggestions, though it seems everyones opinions are different haha. Im thinking about checking out chaing mai as I know a guy who lives there and can show me around a bit. Maybe I might check out pattaya also idk. As for this visa situation what would my options be to stay longer? I don't think the "ed visa" is an option for me as I don't have any education past highschool (for which I don't even have the diploma at hand). Would going to phillipines once every 3 months then repeating the visa exempt entry option with extensions work? I work online btw and have been travelling a bit now (mainly eastern europe) and thailand is my first asian country but I really like it and would love to be able to live here 6 months out of the year. I'm gonna explore options but so far out of phuket and bangkok I prefer bangkok a lot more, I grew up in toronto and its a pretty big city itself so i think I sort of naturally prefer big cities over small cities/towns but i've heard good things about chaing mai also.

btw which city in thailand gives you the most "bang for your buck"? As in which is the cheapest?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you go by the Thai governments survey of the quality of life in Thailand in 2007. The highest rated was Chiang Mai at 87% covering all aspects of life from internet to hospitals to social entertainment and shops. Bangkok was rated the lowest at 15% and Phuket at 20%. Apartment rentals are definately a lot cheaper from $350 upwards with exceptional quality from $500. The added bonus is the humidity is not as bad as the south in the north.

If you go by the Thai governments survey of the quality of life in Thailand in 2007. The highest rated was Chiang Mai at 87% covering all aspects of life from internet to hospitals to social entertainment and shops. Bangkokarrow-10x10.png was rated the lowest at 15% and Phuket at 20%. Apartment rentals are definately a lot cheaper from $350 upwards with exceptional quality from $500. The added bonus is the humidity is not as bad as the south in the north.

yea I've only heard good things about chiang mai so I'm definitely gonna check it out. I heard during the winters at night time its jacket weather? I also see that it has the higher population than pattaya and phuket which is a +

A 21 year old male with a budget of 1000 USD per month for housing...you will not be safe anywhere in Thailand...hire a body guard to fight off the young females...you do not stand a chance alone...you are doomed to a life of pleasure...enjoy!smile.png

If he goes to Hua Hin he'll drop the average age by a few years!

OP - you're basically asking a bunch of old men the best place for a 21 year old to hang out. Don't expect much.

You mean 'old' as in older than 21?

Just a little, yeah.

So everyone on here are "old men"?

If he goes to Hua Hin he'll drop the average age by a few years!

OP - you're basically asking a bunch of old men the best place for a 21 year old to hang out. Don't expect much.

You mean 'old' as in older than 21?

Just a little, yeah.

So everyone on here are "old men"?

I believe there's a few women over in the ladies forum.

Head to Bangkok, or Pattaya if you enjoy the odd walking corpse holding hands with his grandson/daughter, cough cough wai2.gif

I thought that was a Jomtien thing. My neice (innocent) said to me..'Isn't that nice..that young Thai boy helping the old man across the street holding his hand'.

I think it will be very hard for you stay in Thailand for any amount of time as you are only 21 years old,not many visa's

for you age."ed visa" is the only one that comes to mind

That's what's wrong here, this chap should be able to stay even for more than say, six months,

without all the hassle, as long as he has the funds.

why?

I spent my first 30 years in Bangkok, the first 20 as a young single guy, so from my perspective Bangkok is the obvious choice.

And the last ten as what?.....a middle aged woman??

Whatever floats yer boat.

Edited by Mudcrab

Pattaya

^^^ That's probably it in your case.

There is a specific Pattaya forum HERE on this site where you could ask about renting. There's a lot more to Pattaya than the bar scene and if you know where to look behind it all there is very affordable housing, and a lot more than bars and the bar scene.

I don't care for bars or bar girls but I could still live in Pattaya for its many other features including a big variety of international restaurants. Just go to the link above and ask, and schedule yourself a trip there.

Cheers.

can't base a life on bars NOR restaurants.

Pattaya

^^^ That's probably it in your case.

There is a specific Pattaya forum HERE on this site where you could ask about renting. There's a lot more to Pattaya than the bar scene and if you know where to look behind it all there is very affordable housing, and a lot more than bars and the bar scene.

I don't care for bars or bar girls but I could still live in Pattaya for its many other features including a big variety of international restaurants. Just go to the link above and ask, and schedule yourself a trip there.

Cheers.

can't base a life on bars NOR restaurants.
Not true, I've based my whole life around bars and restaurants and don't regret a minute of it.

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

I think it will be very hard for you stay in Thailand for any amount of time as you are only 21 years old,not many visa's

That's what's wrong here, this chap should be able to stay even for more than say, six months,

without all the hassle, as long as he has the funds.

why?

Why not?

I spent my first 30 years in Bangkok, the first 20 as a young single guy, so from my perspective Bangkok is the obvious choice.

The last ten years in Bangkok were spent as a happily married man, which I assumed anyone would be able to figure out. Since then I have spent more than eight years as a happily married man in Chiang Rai. In my twenties and thirties Bangkok was the best fit and I didn't even start thinking about moving until I was in my fifties.

The last ten years in Bangkok were spent as a happily married man, which I assumed anyone would be able to figure out.

It's not a widely-understood concept around these parts.

My advise is go everywhere in Thailand.Then you can narrow it down.As far as the nightlife go to it lightly.If you start shopping for A

Possible mate you would be better off going to Thailand dating sites.Or maybe go around Universities maybe at the library.

I would recommend dating twenty year olds for the next two decades and then getting married to a twenty something when you are in your forties. That way you skip the first wife, kids, divorce and alimony, going directly to the trophy wife.

Might not work for everyone but it worked for me and Bangkok is better for that lifestyle in my opinion.

you did not say, how long you want to stay in thailand, and why not in other countries?
with obviously more than 2000 dollars a month you can live anywhere in southeastasia. just try a dozen places or so, one month each, samui, ko pangan, ko chang, chiangmai, krabi, cambodia, laos,myanmar, phillippines, then you can decide, you are too young to settle anyway. your (provisionally) final home will be, where you find your sweetheart. but be careful with that money and age, a million girls will be fighting to get you.

Pattaya

Yeah! Pattaya is the place to go. It pretty well has something for anybody. From relaxing on the beach or the night life, and everything else in between.

Pattaya is still one of the cheapest cities in Thailand to live, from food, entertainment, and rent. You should easily find a nice fully furnished condo for half the price you are willing to spend.

No problem meeting people there either. I found most people to be very friendly and easy to talk to and get along with. But keep in mind that Pattaya is a very transient city. So most people you meet and befriend will be gone in a couple of weeks. Pattaya is also an older generation city, so you may have difficulty finding someone your own age, which isn't a woman.

The 2 things you need to know about Pattaya before going is firstly it is a noisy city. Loud music blaring into the wee hours of the morning is common their. So you need to be very careful when choosing a place to rent, and check this place at night time, if you want a good nights sleep. The other thing to know is the Golden Rule of Pattaya. That is to say that most people who go there will drink more in a month their then they will back home in a year.

If you go by the Thai governments survey of the quality of life in Thailand in 2007. The highest rated was Chiang Mai at 87% covering all aspects of life from internet to hospitals to social entertainment and shops. Bangkokarrow-10x10.png was rated the lowest at 15% and Phuket at 20%. Apartment rentals are definately a lot cheaper from $350 upwards with exceptional quality from $500. The added bonus is the humidity is not as bad as the south in the north.

yea I've only heard good things about chiang mai so I'm definitely gonna check it out. I heard during the winters at night time its jacket weather? I also see that it has the higher population than pattaya and phuket which is a +

Chang Mai is a wonderful city no doubt. I had been their a few times when I was younger, but to be honest I found the place boring after awhile. It is still a nice pace to live, if you like cooler winters also, but not if you want more excitement or variety.

I doubt anyone knows the true population for Pattaya. For one it is almost joined with Jomtien, which is another city within itself. But mostly because many Thais go there to work, but for population purposes they are registered for back home. So even though they live their, they are shown as living in the village, for example. Now add to this a few hundred thousand tourist, and you have a city 3 times the quoted size. Pattaya also stretches out more along the beach, so in distance from North to South make it feel much larger than it actually is. You for sure won't be bored there, unless you want to be.

Since you either won the lottery back home or come from rich family you can also look into the elite visa.