And Now, The Super Elite Card

george

And now, the Super Elite Card

BANGKOK: Undaunted by the failure to sell its Elite Cards, Thailand Privilege Card plans to offer a Super Elite Card to the super rich.

Microsoft founder Bill Gates will be among those invited to pay a membership fee that could be as high as US$100,000 (Bt3,9 million).

Somchainuek Engtrakul, chairman of state-run Thailand Privilege Card, said the Super Elite Card would limit its membership to only 1,000 people worldwide.

"The Super Elite cardholders will be treated as guests of the state. Membership will be exclusive and only by invitation from top Thai officials," he said.

Somchainuek said the fee had not yet been set, but an informed source said it could be as high as $100,000.

The government launched the Elite Card as part of a strategy to attract high-flying visitors to Thailand. It charges $25,000 for individual membership and $50,000 for corporate membership.

Members have access to services at hotels, restaurants, hospitals, spas and golf courses. Although the government originally set an ambitious target of one million members, so far it has attracted just 400 to 500.

Thailand Privilege Card is temporarily halting its effort to sell memberships "in order to improve services", Somchainuek said.

--The Nation 2004-04-09

Elite Card programme has new boss

BANGKOK: -- A former executive of the entertainment company BEC World Plc has been appointed to run the government's Elite Card programme, which has fallen well short of expectations to date.

Chotsiri Rodboonpa becomes the new managing director of Thailand Privilege Cards Co (TPC), the state-owned entity set up to market the $25,000 lifetime membership cards to affluent tourists and executives.

TPC had set a target of selling one million cards over the next five years but has sold only 400 to date.

Mr Chotsiri succeeds Paisith Kaenchan, who was TPC's acting managing director and will now return to his prior post at the Grand Hyatt Erawan Hotel.

Mr Chotsiri was chosen by a recruitment committee chaired by Tourism Authority of Thailand governor Juthamas Siriwan, said Somchainuk Engtrakul, the permanent secretary for Finance and chairman of TPC.

He said Mr Chotsiri would formally start work on May 1, and expressed confidence that the company would have 60,000 members by April 2005.

``I'm the one who asked the management to delay the sales and promotion as our services, such as the available golf courses and the call centre network, are not ready,'' said Mr Somchainuk.

Having enhanced its call centre and increased the number of participating service providers, the company was now ready to aggressively promote the services, he said.

Mr Somchainuk said that country representatives in China, Singapore, Indonesia and Japan were appointed with commitments of sales targets at 30,000, 7,000, 7,000 and 10,000 members respectively within the next 12 months.

At the same time, he said, TPC would join with credit card providers to include the Elite Card under a single card.

--Bangkok Post 2004-04-09

This isn't a late April Fools joke? Or are the people who actually shelled out hard-earned baht for these cards the April Fools?

On some level this doesn't surprise me. It seems to be a uniquely Thai practice to actually raise prices when sales are soft. :o

This isn't a late April Fools joke? Or are the people who actually shelled out hard-earned baht for these cards the April Fools?

On some level this doesn't surprise me. It seems to be a uniquely Thai practice to actually raise prices when sales are soft. :o

Soft ? it would be called flaccid by your doctor :D

What ######s. Did they pay back the money to MK I punters ?

From the way I read it, the Mk I card will still be marketed, to all who want to buy (and have the money to waste). The Mk II card will be by invitation only, to the various people around the world who have exploited their own country's resources for their personal gain and need (or will need, or would have needed were they still alive) a place of refuge (a la Idi Amin, Ferdinand Marcos, Sani Abacha, Josef Estrada, Shah of Iran, Saddam Hussein, various Myanmar generals, Hun Sen, and the list goes on ........)

Think for a moment if Thailand came up with a one million baht card that would give its holders a few good, useful privileges, rather than all sorts of flimflam.

Let's say five-year renewable visas and working permits. Throw in the right to own a single rai of land. And imagine that the money would be earmarked for supporting the 370,000 orphans of AIDS, most of whom are not sick, but ARE a ticking social time bomb. I bet that they would have sold a few thousand cards in the first month. Given his philanthropic bent, even Bill Gates would have bought one

I would be interested to know if the likes of Bill Gates actually gives a sh*t. Or, for that matter, plans on even visiting Thailand...

OT: I think Billy Goat already did (visit Thailand - not give a 5#!7) in order to try to do something about all the money he claim to lose on piracy (the fact is of course that 99% of the current pirates would use something else, i.e. Linux, rather than flex out 10,000 TB or more for Microslush software.

Loopburi Monkeys would probably know better and see this as a complete waste of money and time. I see BKK make such an effort to become modernized - they want to be the next Paris or New York when it comes to fashion, they want to run smart cards and digitze info. for all Thais, meanwhile the local population isn't as technologically advanced as they think, now they want to charge ridiculous prices for . . . . . ., oh, I'm wasting my time. Vote for the Monkeys!!

Did anyone ever pay for these cards, or were they all free hand outs?

I am aware of at least of a couple of individuals who purchased the Elite Card.

While I see it as having limited interest to most if the details (laws) concerning the right to own land are not ironed out, I could see it having a market to business types within aisa if not elsewhere, people who regularly visit Thailand and play golf.

However even here the benefits such as ease in obtaining visas and dealing with immigration and the real savings to be enjoyed connected to golf would have to be expressed much more clearly.

Think for a moment if Thailand came up with a one million baht card that would give its holders a few good, useful privileges, rather than all sorts of flimflam.

Let's say five-year renewable visas and working permits.  Throw in the right to own a single rai of land. And imagine that the money would be earmarked for supporting the 370,000 orphans of AIDS, most of whom are not sick, but ARE a ticking social time bomb.  I bet that they  would have sold a few thousand cards in the first month.  Given his philanthropic bent, even Bill Gates would have bought one

Good point. One rai of land and house. 5 year visa. Give a significant portion to charity so people who don't care about Thailand (there are plenty) are still motivated to part with the money and gain an ego boosting tax write off. And then of course all the bullshit like discounted rounds of golf. Wake up TAT.

and who gives a t0ss about golf priviledges, plonkers game in my book.

You might not and personally neither do I but many of the target market for said card might.

If I were a Singaporean golf playing businessman and I am sure there are many the card would be of interest IF it provided me with hassle-free visas, expedited entry into the country, very cheap golf AND the ability to purchase a nice holiday home close to one of the many golf courses.

Such guys are already heading to Malaysia and Indonesia in droves at weekends and holidays just to play a round and of course many already do come up to Thailand but with greater hassle

The cost of the card would soon be recovered.

It was announced recently that a golf course was to be created close to Bangkok solely for card holders and no doubt all the local politicos etc with access to a golf club

If I were a similar businessman in the US or Europe would i be interested? No

The card could work if the benefits of the card were clarified and the card marketed correctly.

Last time i looked at the site I could find no detail of the benefits simply alist of those outlets offering benefits. For all i know the golf benefits are 1 free ball with every round and the hotel benefits are 1 free night for every 7 at rack rate and thus no bloody use

Just another case of TIT, however it must be said that anyone who did pay out for a card clearly has rocks in their heads and additionally doesn't know a lot about doing business here in the realm.

The scheme was doomed for failure the moment it was proposed.

I would be interested to know if the likes of Bill Gates actually gives a sh*t. Or, for that matter, plans on even visiting Thailand...

I'm sure Bill Gates will be in Thailand frequently once that new IT super-hub gets up and running on Phuket, especially seeing as how that facility will surpass Singapore for IT before long. :o

What a load of ****... Toxin speaks

The website describes Bangkok Airway(sic) as "Definitely Thailand's most useful airline"

Goes on to say, "Thai Airways International has the largest network of any airline in Asia, and serves over 70 destinations world-wide in Europe, the Middle East, Australia, New Zealand and the United States."

I wonder what criteria they use for "useful".

More drivel, :The Thailand Elite service staff exists to make it possible for you to live out your dreams in Thailand. Travel arrangements, visits to hard-to-access areas, the use of facilities and buildings usually off-limits… if you can dream it, we will do our best to help you do it."

It goes on to list; Jim Thompson House & Jim Thompson Shop, Pattaya etc They sound like 'hard to access areas'. :o

The only thing that appear worth a **** is the visa free entry for five years. Though you can be sure that won't be as trouble free as they make it out to be.

The "Property Investment Opportunity"??? What is that?? Can you own the land or not?