The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

2 hours ago, hiigara said:

I don't understand this. US residents need to be employed to apply for this visa!!!!

Unless you have been 10 years in the company and are given sabatic leave of some sort, no one I know will have a job when they return from 6 months in Thailand. Stupid requirement. I am between jobs and I wanted to stay 3 to 6 months in thailand. I am probably best enrolling in a thai language school and get a 90 day visa.

Get a single entry tourist visa that will allow one 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days. Then go to a nearby embassy or consulate for another single entry tourist visa.

3 hours ago, hiigara said:

I don't understand this. US residents need to be employed to apply for this visa!!!!

Unless you have been 10 years in the company and are given sabatic leave of some sort, no one I know will have a job when they return from 6 months in Thailand. Stupid requirement. I am between jobs and I wanted to stay 3 to 6 months in thailand. I am probably best enrolling in a thai language school and get a 90 day visa.

Most Consulate's Like the one in LA are only particular when it comes to the bank statement $7k.Many people are retired so they aren't working .

Edited by riclag

On 8/13/2017 at 9:00 PM, riclag said:

Most Consulate's Like the one in LA are only particular when it comes to the bank statement $7k.Many people are retired so they aren't working .

Retired people are a different class. Because although they are not working they can prove steady pension income.

6 hours ago, hiigara said:

Retired people are a different class. Because although they are not working they can prove steady pension income.

They want to see how you can support yourself.Money in the bank is the key.they want to make sure your not going to work over there.This is the tipping point IMOP

I have got my METV's from the the UK (Liverpool Consulate).

I provided both proof of funds (£5000) way in excess of required and an employer's letter. Both were stipulated requirements. My opinion was that the consular officer was more concerned about the funds and paid less attention to the employer's letter. Again my opinion was that the chief concern was not to issue these visas to those with limited funds (and, by extension, those who may be working illegally in Thailand).

Edited by Briggsy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

hello, if I get a multiple entry visa for 6 months, can i go to Cambodia as many times as I want during 6 months and come back to Thailand as many times as I want ? What about the yearly 2 entries limit at land borders ? Will they question me at the border? Better travel by land than by plane ? Thanks for your help.

31 minutes ago, bbpbbp said:

hello, if I get a multiple entry visa for 6 months, can i go to Cambodia as many times as I want during 6 months and come back to Thailand as many times as I want ? What about the yearly 2 entries limit at land borders ? Will they question me at the border? Better travel by land than by plane ? Thanks for your help.

• Yes you can. It's meant for someone that wants to visit Thailand multiple times during the visas 6 month validity.
  • It is only visa exempt entry (no visa) that is limited to 2 per year.
  • You could be questioned anytime as a long term tourist, but it's less likely with a multiple entry visa and especially with prolonged periods outside of the country.
  • Traveling overland or by plane shouldn't make any difference with that visa.
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, bbpbbp said:

The limit of two entries by land is only for visa exempt entries. There is no limit if you are entering by land with a visa. That said, if you decide to use Poipet as your entry point, you may find that Thai immigration there invents some local rule to limit your entries.

And and and the 6 month validity of the visa is from the day it's issued by the consulate not from when you enter Thailand

13 hours ago, bbpbbp said:

Will they question me at the border? Better travel by land than by plane ?

You will more likely to be questioned if you enter at a less-friendly point of entry - by Air or at the notorious Poipet/Aranyaprathet crossing.   If you fly, make absolutely sure to have over 20K Baht worth of cash or travelers checks (not bank-statements), as others with valid visas Have Been Denied Entry By Air for not having the money to show. 

In my opinion, it is always better to enter Thailand via a friendly land-border than by air, if you have any sort of "long stay" history in Thailand.  And keep in mind, all your entries and exits are visible to Immigration - and a new passport does not change this.  A longer-stay back in 2016 or earlier could lead to questioning and being accused of coming to work here illegally, even if you were out of the country for months in the interim.

On the other hand, if you only recently came to Thailand for the first time, or only stayed a week or so at a time previously, with long breaks out of Thailand in-between, then entering with an METV (or a Single-Entry Tourist Visa) should be trouble-free - even at an airport or at Poipet/Aranya.

Just in on my second METV, no questions asked @ immigration, had over 20K in cash on me, one bank statement from april, where I wired 4000€ to my BB account. Could have been used for crosschecking, a hotel booking and a cheap AA flight to PNH, but as mentioned already, no questions asked.

As the name says it already METV is designed for multiple entries. As I stay quite close to the Lao border, it would make sense to hopp over from time to time to get some nice Beer Lao. I wonder what'll happen when I'll go every 2 weeks or so? Would that not trigger very quickly their alarm screens in immigration database? Could be wiser to wait until I get close to my 2 months deadline instead?

2 hours ago, jethro69 said:

Just in on my second METV, no questions asked @ immigration, had over 20K in cash on me, one bank statement from april, where I wired 4000€ to my BB account. Could have been used for crosschecking, a hotel booking and a cheap AA flight to PNH, but as mentioned already, no questions asked.

As the name says it already METV is designed for multiple entries. As I stay quite close to the Lao border, it would make sense to hopp over from time to time to get some nice Beer Lao. I wonder what'll happen when I'll go every 2 weeks or so? Would that not trigger very quickly their alarm screens in immigration database? Could be wiser to wait until I get close to my 2 months deadline instead?

We really don't know what triggers their farang-warning-system aside from a visa-exempt count - but it appears to be longer-staying farangs, generally.   Some have reported IOs saying "computer / problem" with more than 180 days/yr.   

If you stayed out a few days each departure, that would help remove the potential-claim that you were using your expensive METV to work a low-paying, under-the-table job in Thailand - so would be a positive-factor.  The only downside is exposing yourself to immigration at more frequent intervals.

Also, keep in mind that your Beer Lao trips will cost you a VOA to Laos, each time.  That beverage is available in Thailand.  You'd need to drink quite a bit of it to make up for the tariff / cost-difference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jethro69 said:

Well, I should have mentioned that I'm among the very few nations who get visa exemption in Lao.:burp:

Ahhh, that could also be used to explain to the Thais why you visit so frequently - so even less reason to worry.  My only thought was an IO asking himself, "Why does this guy go there so often?" - maybe a bag-search upon return could occur.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, jethro69 said:

In my opinion, frequent exit and entries on your METV would be mildly positive from immigration's viewpoint. Most working would not exhibit such a pattern. Anyway, the most important criteria is the total time in Thailand on tourist entries, and your Lao trips would not adversely affect that. Further, the immigration at Nong Khai and Mukdahan are pretty relaxed unless there are glaring irregularities. If you fancy some better beer, go ahead.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, here are some likely oft repeated questions regarding a US Citizen applying for the METV via Mail in the USA to the office in Washington DC.

Hoping some US Citizens who have done this via mail recently can chime in.

1. What is expected of the employment letter? Should it say I am on leave or can it say that I am currently employed as I will be working part time remotely for my employer at home.

2. Does the return flight have to be to the USA? (not too concerned about this one)

3. I am curious about what qualifies as a proof of hotel reservation. I can make one but was wondering if there was anything regarding length of stay for this reservation. 

4. The instructions for what to mail to them is not really clear.  I will also ask them this one since its not something that could affect being granted the Visa. The wording is as follows:

I assume this to mean you send them flat rate $23.75 express envelope so they can get it back to you quickly but it doesn't matter how you send it to them.  

application must include self-addressed return envelope only by these following mail service
” USPS (US Postal Service) Express Mail ”  use only flat rate mailing envelope with $23.75

postage stamp (Metered stamps will not be accepted)

Any info is appreciated..

Edited by MiWV

Stupid question: At the end of an METV, having 

entered Thailand before the "enter before" date and received another 60 days, could I take one more trip abroad during this time by using a reentry permit? Applying the same rules as for an SETV it would not seem impossible, but does anyone know?

22 minutes ago, tchk said:

Stupid question: At the end of an METV, having 

entered Thailand before the "enter before" date and received another 60 days, could I take one more trip abroad during this time by using a reentry permit? Applying the same rules as for an SETV it would not seem impossible, but does anyone know?

You can get a re-entry permit for any permit to stay.

You can get a re-entry permit to keep the remainder of a 60 day entry from a SETV or a METV valid when you re-enter the country. The visa being expired or used does not matter.

Quick update just completed my third and final exit and re-entry on my first METV - critically this re-entry was 2 days before my METV expires - flew from phnomh Penh into don muang and stamped through in seconds for another 2 months zero questions asked and a very pleasant process as it has always been for me at DMK

• Like 1

Hello there, I'm trying to find out how the 6 months tourist visa for Thailand works. 
I found this online and I wonder if anyone could confirm what it says.

I thought it is necessary to leave the countries every 60 days and just before then you could ask for a 30 days extension and leave the country every 90 days instead? Total 9 months. 

2+1 three times if you know that I mean, leaving Thailand 3 times every 90 days. Last time leaving for a 'good'.
Thanks so very much!

6 Month Validity tourist visa: This actually means up to 9 months if you time it right. Get the new visa 2 weeks before you leave for Thailand, then come and go as you please making sure you fly back into Thailand a day or two before your 6 months run out. That way, you get a full 60 days from that day, plus the option to extend it for another 30 days without leaving the country, giving you up to 9 Months in Total!

Example: If your 6 month visa is valid from January 1st to June 1st you can come and go as much as you like during that time for up to 60-90 days at a time, then just make sure you re-enter Thailand before May 31st, and you'll get 60 days from that day + an option to extend it for another 30 days, giving you close to 9 months in total.

21 hours ago, Bigdogfarang said:

Quick update just completed my third and final exit and re-entry on my first METV - critically this re-entry was 2 days before my METV expires - flew from phnomh Penh into don muang and stamped through in seconds for another 2 months zero questions asked and a very pleasant process as it has always been for me at DMK

1. So the extension is at the end of the 6 months visa?

2. And can you get additional 30 day extension after the 2 months you received at DMK? To make it a total of 9 months

3. Did you leave the country twice every 2 months according to the stamp? For how long? (As in Is there a required length of time that you need to be away for? Or if you are away for as long as a month, does that get taken out from your 6 months Thai visa?)

Thanks! 

1 hour ago, Justaquestionplease said:

1. So the extension is at the end of the 6 months visa?

You can use the visa to enter and get 60-days on entry up until the "enter before" date printed on the visa, which is 6 months after the date the visa is issued by the consulate.

2. And can you get additional 30 day extension after the 2 months you received at DMK? To make it a total of 9 months

You can get a 30-day extension from any of the 60-day entries granted using the visa - including entries made just before the Visa expires.

3. Did you leave the country twice every 2 months according to the stamp? For how long? (As in Is there a required length of time that you need to be away for? Or if you are away for as long as a month, does that get taken out from your 6 months Thai visa?)

Thanks! 

You could leave every 60-days, or extend each entry for 30 more before needing to do a border-run - your choice.

Being gone adds no extra days to the "enter before" date printed on the visa.  It allows 60-day entries until that date, regardless of how many entries/exits or time-spent between issuance and the "enter before" date.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

I've just signed applied for a METV via post at the Embassy in London, I wasn't fortunate enough to come across this forum beforehand. Read through the last few pages I see a lot of people mention needing proof of a return flight/onward travel however during my application process I couldn't find this listed anywhere and have sent off my application without it. I was also about £200 under my bank statement from around 6 months ago but I'm hoping this won't be an issue because I'm now a couple thousand over the required amount.

How likely am I to get this Visa application approved?

Edited by Aero992

14 minutes ago, Aero992 said:

That depends on how much of a stickler the official processing your application turns out to be, and the instructions he operates under. Many have suggested the most important condition is the financial proof. Immigration offices in Thailand are absolutely inflexible when financial proof is needed. You cannot miss the duration by even one day or be under at any point by a single baht. If the London embassy is similarly anal, I guess you will have a problem.

14 minutes ago, BritTim said:

That depends on how much of a stickler the official processing your application turns out to be, and the instructions he operates under. Many have suggested the most important condition is the financial proof. Immigration offices in Thailand are absolutely inflexible when financial proof is needed. You cannot miss the duration by even one day or be under at any point by a single baht. If the London embassy is similarly anal, I guess you will have a problem.

I'll just have to wait 5 working days to find out, will they issue a Single Entry Visa or will i have to re apply if the multiple entry is refused. I'm assuming I'll lose the £125 application fee?

Edited by Aero992

I've just signed applied for a METV via post at the Embassy in London, I wasn't fortunate enough to come across this forum beforehand. Read through the last few pages I see a lot of people mention needing proof of a return flight/onward travel however during my application process I couldn't find this listed anywhere and have sent off my application without it. I was also about £200 under my bank statement from around 6 months ago but I'm hoping this won't be an issue because I'm now a couple thousand over the required amount.

I don't think the £200 will be an issue, lets say 95% sure
  • Like 1