The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

Hi,

I am on holiday in Thailand with a METV. Next week I plan to go to Cambodia for 5 nights and after that comeback to Thailand for one month (arriving DMK, after I fly to Phuket and Phi Phi islands). After this month I fly back home.

This is my 1st METV and this will be my 3rd entry with it. On my 2nd entry at DMK the IO asked me what I do in Thailand and how long I stay but he not want to see any proofs. Now I scare little bit the my entry will be denied after reading here. I have the 20k+ THB and a flight ticket back home.

My history:

Aug 2016: 15 days on visa exempt

Feb 2017: 15 days on visa exempt

Aug-Sep 2017: 48 days 1st entry MTEV

1 night out

Sep-Oct 2017: 24 days 2nd entry MTEV

6 minutes ago, weltenbummlerlucky said:

This is my 1st METV and this will be my 3rd entry with it. On my 2nd entry at DMK the IO asked me what I do in Thailand and how long I stay but he not want to see any proofs. Now I scare little bit the my entry will be denied after reading here. I have the 20k+ THB and a flight ticket back home.

With your history of entries to the country i can see no reason for you to be questioned on entry and certainly no reason for denial of entry.

People that are questioned are those that appear to be living here on visa exempt and/or tourist visa entries. You appear to be a tourist IMO.

18 minutes ago, weltenbummlerlucky said:

I have the 20k+ THB and a flight ticket back home

The 20K+ Baht is of primary importance, as not having this is a valid reason for denial of entry. 
Also be sure to have the complete address of where you will be staying (required).

In theory, the flight-ticket is not necessary when arriving on a valid-visa, but could help to prevent harassment upon entry by an overzealous IO. 

Proof of where your finances originate (foreign bank-statements, etc) would be another "nice to have" item, to counter any speculation that you are here to "work illegally."

Hopefully, your next entry will be uneventful, and you won't need any of this - but always nice to be prepared so you can relax.

24 minutes ago, weltenbummlerlucky said:

Welcome to the forums!

You have nothing to worry about. Enjoy your holiday.

2 minutes ago, Japhrodisiac said:

Any chance of back to back 6 month MEV ? Or is it 1 max then you have to be out of Thailand for a certain number of months?

There have been many reports of people getting back-to-back METVs. However, it might possibly depend on your nationality. Further, there could be a small chance of immigration denying you entry, even on an METV, if they believe you are working illegally.

5 hours ago, Japhrodisiac said:

Any chance of back to back 6 month MEV ? Or is it 1 max then you have to be out of Thailand for a certain number of months?

Issuance of the Visa is dependent on your home-country Official Thai consulate(s).  Many have had several in a row.

The key to using an METV without any worry, is the same as for any Visa of Tourist or ED type:  Once you have spent several months in Thailand, do not arrive using Airport or Poipet checkpoints, where imaginary laws/rules may be imposed at random (Chang Mai airport may be an exception).  

At all other points of entry, the laws on the books seem to be followed, so you just need your valid-visa, 20K Baht worth of cash or travelers checks (may be asked to show this, especially coming in from Malaysia), plus the address where you will be staying in Thailand.

That said, even after longer-stays in Thailand, the odds of being denied-entry entering by air are very small if you have a legal visa plus the required cash - it is the luck of the draw.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm filling out my METV application for the consulate in New York.

Not sure it's worth pursuing this visa application for several reasons:

-Consulate is closed most of this week. I'm headed to Kuala Lumpur ASAP.

-They want to know my exact date of entry. I'm not sure of it.

-They want a confirmed ticket. I'll be flying standby or crossing by land from Malaysia.

-They want a hotel and I'm not sure where I'll stay.

-Visa is too expensive. $200 is a lot to risk getting rejected over a standby ticket or whatever. 

-Flying into Thailand under a visa-exemption is free and would probably suit me better anyway.

The advantage of an METV would be to travel via land from KL into Thailand. I'd like to stop in the southern islands. Then make my way to Malaysia and  back into Thailand.

Unfortunately, I used both my land crossings earlier this year. Do they recent on Jan 1?

I keep reading calendar year. I'd think 365 days from the last exit is more likely though??

34 minutes ago, travel museums said:

I'm filling out my METV application for the consulate in New York.

Not sure it's worth pursuing this visa application for several reasons:

-Consulate is closed most of this week. I'm headed to Kuala Lumpur ASAP.

-They want to know my exact date of entry. I'm not sure of it.

-They want a confirmed ticket. I'll be flying standby or crossing by land from Malaysia.

-They want a hotel and I'm not sure where I'll stay.

-Visa is too expensive. $200 is a lot to risk getting rejected over a standby ticket or whatever. 

-Flying into Thailand under a visa-exemption is free and would probably suit me better anyway.

The advantage of an METV would be to travel via land from KL into Thailand. I'd like to stop in the southern islands. Then make my way to Malaysia and  back into Thailand.

Unfortunately, I used both my land crossings earlier this year. Do they recent on Jan 1?

I keep reading calendar year. I'd think 365 days from the last exit is more likely though??

It seems like you may not be able to get the METV or even a single entry visa without a confirmed flight into the country. If submitting in person you would not lose the fee since they would not accept your application if you did not meet the requirements.

The 2 visa exempt entry rule at land border crossing is per calendar year. You will start a new year on January 1st.

Man this is pathetic.

China had no problem giving me a ten year visa with a standby listing.

Brazil gave me a ten year visa same deal. Took 1.5 hours.

I have a feeling Thailand won't though.

Why don't they get their act together.

Ten year visas for US citizens with 2-3 month entries is the new normal.

All the expats I talk to are still living in Thailand anyway. They are just manipulating the METV to spend 9 months in Thailand. It's so dumb.

I overstayed my Brazil visa by a month. When I left yesterday the IO just assessed me a fine and automatically rolled me over into a 3 month extension. He said I could come back tomorrow if I wanted. All this back and forth changing of the rules is unnecessary bureaucracy.

BTW, I'd still be out that application money. Why?

Just to apply you have to get a postal money order made out to the Thai government.

So you kiss that hard earned cash goodbye when you apply.

3 hours ago, travel museums said:

... The advantage of an METV would be to travel via land from KL into Thailand. I'd like to stop in the southern islands. Then make my way to Malaysia and  back into Thailand.

If passing through Penang, you should have no problem picking up a single-entry Tourist Visa there using an agent.  If you don't have a ticket-out set-up, the agent will include a throwaway ticket for an extra-fee.  They will also take care of creating an internet-based hotel booking (which are free, anyhow).  Apply on day1, they will submit day2 in the morning, then you get it back the afternoon of day3. 

You could also get a Tourist Visa in KL, but they are more strict, and I haven't heard of agent-service there, so you'd need proof of flights in/out, a hotel-booking, and a bank-statement (20K Baht equivalence).

On 10/23/2017 at 7:18 PM, travel museums said:

Man this is pathetic.

China had no problem giving me a ten year visa with a standby listing.

Brazil gave me a ten year visa same deal. Took 1.5 hours.

I have a feeling Thailand won't though.

Why don't they get their act together.

Ten year visas for US citizens with 2-3 month entries is the new normal.

All the expats I talk to are still living in Thailand anyway. They are just manipulating the METV to spend 9 months in Thailand. It's so dumb.

I overstayed my Brazil visa by a month. When I left yesterday the IO just assessed me a fine and automatically rolled me over into a 3 month extension. He said I could come back tomorrow if I wanted. All this back and forth changing of the rules is unnecessary bureaucracy.

BTW, I'd still be out that application money. Why?

Just to apply you have to get a postal money order made out to the Thai government.

So you kiss that hard earned cash goodbye when you apply.

If you can't or are not willing to meet the requirements then don't apply.  You clearly can't meet them so don't try.

Quick question that is probably asked too many times. I was under the impression that I should be able to apply for a 30 day extension of one of my 60 day stays while using current METV.  Someone told me that currently that might not be possible or was at least up in the air. I'm not 100% sure that the exact situation was understood by this person though. I'm not wanting to extend my METV, I am curious if I can extend one of my 60 day stays within the parameters of the visa.

Thanks for any info

3 minutes ago, MiWV said:

Quick question that is probably asked too many times. I was under the impression that I should be able to apply for a 30 day extension of one of my 60 day stays while using current METV.  Someone told me that currently that might not be possible or was at least up in the air. I'm not 100% sure that the exact situation was understood by this person though. I'm not wanting to extend my METV, I am curious if I can extend one of my 60 day stays within the parameters of the visa.

Thanks for any info

Yes you can extend any of your 60 day stays by 30 days. You apply at your local immigration office which costs 1,900 baht.

jfwiw,  I and the wife recently got 1 yr multiple entry visas at the Chicago consulate, to visit family. We gave them a list of relatives living in Bangkok, showed them 2 of the wifes expired Thai passports and our Thai marriage certificate. Gave them $400 and our passports, we got them back in the mail the following week.  I had a credit union statement with me showing my recurring monthly deposits but it wasn't asked for nor any other financial info. I didn't realize at the time that I'd still need to report every 90 days but I guess that's not a big deal... hopefully the wife will have regained her Thai ID before 90 days and hopefully get a new Thai passport so she won't ever have to pay for another visa ....

We are only ticketed for 4 months this trip but anticipate a lengthier stay next time perhaps 8 or 9 months beginning well before the 1yr  mark of my current visa.... so I wouldn't need a new visa and could simply get an extension after arrival.... right?

What is confusing to me is the requirement for a round trip ticket for entry  ... or an additional ticket out of Thailand?  Are there exceptions?  If we wanted to stay longer than 4 months this trip can I assume I'd just have to pay the cost of changing the return flight?  Wife says that her retired brother-in-law knows the mayor of Bangkok so maybe we can get some insight into these issues after we arrive and possibly a helpful letter of reference as I suspect we will be making many visits to various govt agencies.  

7 hours ago, yooper said:

What is confusing to me is the requirement for a round trip ticket for entry  ... or an additional ticket out of Thailand?  Are there exceptions?  If we wanted to stay longer than 4 months this trip can I assume I'd just have to pay the cost of changing the return flight? 

If you have a valid visa for entry to the country there is no requirement for you to have a return or onward ticket.

Only those without a visa are required to have a ticket out of the country within 30 days of arrival.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, yooper said:

jfwiw,  I and the wife recently got 1 yr multiple entry visas at the Chicago consulate, to visit family. We gave them a list of relatives living in Bangkok, showed them 2 of the wifes expired Thai passports and our Thai marriage certificate. Gave them $400 and our passports, we got them back in the mail the following week.  I had a credit union statement with me showing my recurring monthly deposits but it wasn't asked for nor any other financial info. I didn't realize at the time that I'd still need to report every 90 days but I guess that's not a big deal... hopefully the wife will have regained her Thai ID before 90 days and hopefully get a new Thai passport so she won't ever have to pay for another visa ....

We are only ticketed for 4 months this trip but anticipate a lengthier stay next time perhaps 8 or 9 months beginning well before the 1yr  mark of my current visa.... so I wouldn't need a new visa and could simply get an extension after arrival.... right?

What is confusing to me is the requirement for a round trip ticket for entry  ... or an additional ticket out of Thailand?  Are there exceptions?  If we wanted to stay longer than 4 months this trip can I assume I'd just have to pay the cost of changing the return flight?  Wife says that her retired brother-in-law knows the mayor of Bangkok so maybe we can get some insight into these issues after we arrive and possibly a helpful letter of reference as I suspect we will be making many visits to various govt agencies.  

What you were given is not a multiple entry tourist visa, but a multiple entry Non O visa to visit family in Thailand.

With that visa, and until the Enter Before date stamped on the visa,  you can enter Thailand, and each time be granted a 90-day permission to stay. Each permission to stay can optionally be extended (only one time) for 60 days at your local immigration office. With 400,000 baht in a Thai bank account, and after satisfying a few other requirements, you could extend your permission to stay for one year.

Do not confuse 'reporting every 90 days' with only having a '90 day permission to stay'. Until you have a one-year extension granted in Thailand, 90-day reports are not required. However, unless you apply for the 60-day or one-year extension, you need to leave and reenter Thailand after 90 days.

If your wife has expired Thai passports, she can enter Thailand without a visa. She uses her US passport to leave the US, but shows check in the expired Thai passport as proof of her right to enter Thailand. On arrival in Thailand, the expired Thai passport is used. The downside of this is that she will need to get all her affairs in Thailand in order, allowing application for a new Thai passport, before she can leave Thailand again. Having used her Thai passport to enter Thailand, she would not be allowed to leave on the US passport.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2017 at 9:08 PM, ubonjoe said:

If you have a valid visa for entry to the country there is no requirement for you to have a return or onward ticket.

Only those without a visa are required to have a ticket out of the country within 30 days of arrival.

For the 60 day Tourist TR ($40)  , they require a return ticket or they wouldn't give you a Visa in Miami... Go figure...

"4. A copy of flight confirmation/reservation, showing going from US to Thailand and leaving from Thailand (The name of the applicant must indicated clearly)"

Edited by bttao

My mate and his wife-both UK passport- want to come to Thailand for holiday, for around 3 months

Whats their best visa option and what paperwork ill they need to present. As the are Scottish, I  presume nearest consulate would be Glasgow.

Edited by hackjam

1 hour ago, hackjam said:

My mate and his wife-both UK passport- want to come to Thailand for holiday, for around 3 months

Whats their best visa option and what paperwork ill they need to present. As the are Scottish, I  presume nearest consulate would be Glasgow.

I would recommend they get single entry tourist visas. This will give them an initial stay of 60 days. There are various ways they can extend their stay once they arrive in Thailand (extensions of stay at immigration offices in Thailand or border hops being two).

Yes, Glasgow would be the nearest consulate. If they can attend in person, it should be possible to get tourist visas while they wait. Apart from visa photos, and filling out a form, there is no other required paperwork. As I recall, the application fee is 25 pounds.

Edited by BritTim

1 hour ago, hackjam said:

A Single Entry Tourist Visa would give them 60 days on entry and can be extended by a further 30 days at immigration.

They can apply in person at Glasgow or by post to the Embassy in London. They just need 2 x passport photos, the application form and payment.

Postal applications to London are normally returned within one week.

Edited by elviajero

Hi, newbie here! I have a 6 month METV issued from Thai embassy in Canada. Mistakenly I thought I could stay 6 months straight but now have learned I must bug out every 2 months. I was told by KBV agency that the run from Phuket to Myanmar will only stamp me back in for 15 days rentry and I have to travel to Malay border to get a 2 month reentry. Is this correct?

I was hoping to avoid a ride thru the troubles in the south, much easier to go north. Any advice or options for me?

Ta....BB

39 minutes ago, Buddha Bill said:

I was told by KBV agency that the run from Phuket to Myanmar will only stamp me back in for 15 days rentry

This doesn't sound right at all. Why would Ranong immigration not honour your METV?

There is another option. You can pay 1900 Baht at Phuket immigration or any other Thai immigration office to extend your initial 60 day permission to stay to 90 days. That would mean for a 6-month stay, you only have to go out once rather than twice. Up to you.

2 hours ago, Buddha Bill said:

Hi, newbie here! I have a 6 month METV issued from Thai embassy in Canada. Mistakenly I thought I could stay 6 months straight but now have learned I must bug out every 2 months. I was told by KBV agency that the run from Phuket to Myanmar will only stamp me back in for 15 days rentry and I have to travel to Malay border to get a 2 month reentry. Is this correct?

I was hoping to avoid a ride thru the troubles in the south, much easier to go north. Any advice or options for me?

It seems you were talking to somebody that does not know anything about visas or entries.

You will get a new 60 day entry every time you enter the country that can be extended for 30 days at a immigration office for a fee of 1900 baht.

They were even wrong about the 15 days. That rule was rescinded at the end of last year.

4 minutes ago, Buddha Bill said:

Thanks for the info. Read this to understand my confusion

I assume this is the outdated info your read.

Once we get back to the dock in Ranong, you go straight to the Thai Immigration Office and get a new arrival card for with 2 weeks to extend your stay in Thailand.

For those from some countries that info has been out of date longer than January 1st of this year (4 years for those from G7 countries).