The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

I actually think the METV could be ok considering that it was nearly impossible to get a triple entry tourist visa from nearly all cities across the world except a select few. Now everyone in essence could get a visa to stay for 9 months before needing a new one. Only thing is the METV is a bit expensive compared to the old system but doesn't bother me at all. Proof of bank funds no issue for me. Proof of employment doesn't seem to be an issue in my country. The only thing concerning is having to have airline tickets for each entry/exit that you will make when usually you can do all of this within Thailand (or land border crossing) on the old system which gave greater flexibility.

The METV only cost 2000 baht more to get than a 3 entry tourist visa. For a person that plans on doing some trips to nearby countries the extra 2k baht can be offset by not needing to do 2 extensions (3800 baht total) at immigration to get the first six months.

I don/t recall any of the embassies or consulates wanting a ticket for each entry. Some just for the first and last entry. Buying a one way ticket to nearby country several months in advance does not cost that much.

If one does not have proof of employment in own country, does that mean she can't apply for METV?

Almost definitely unless she is a student, retiree or she has a source of regular income. It is too early to know what each embassy/consulate will accept.

I actually think the METV could be ok considering that it was nearly impossible to get a triple entry tourist visa from nearly all cities across the world except a select few. Now everyone in essence could get a visa to stay for 9 months before needing a new one. Only thing is the METV is a bit expensive compared to the old system but doesn't bother me at all. Proof of bank funds no issue for me. Proof of employment doesn't seem to be an issue in my country. The only thing concerning is having to have airline tickets for each entry/exit that you will make when usually you can do all of this within Thailand (or land border crossing) on the old system which gave greater flexibility.

The METV only cost 2000 baht more to get than a 3 entry tourist visa. For a person that plans on doing some trips to nearby countries the extra 2k baht can be offset by not needing to do 2 extensions (3800 baht total) at immigration to get the first six months.

I don/t recall any of the embassies or consulates wanting a ticket for each entry. Some just for the first and last entry. Buying a one way ticket to nearby country several months in advance does not cost that much.

For some Embassies/Consulates they say "Copy of airline ticket or travel itinerary confirming date of arrival & departure" - I wonder what they consider a "travel itinerary"? Can you make up & print your own travel itinerary?

Edited by bbi1

If one does not have proof of employment in own country, does that mean she can't apply for METV?

Almost definitely unless she is a student, retiree or she has a source of regular income. It is too early to know what each embassy/consulate will accept.

A Thaivisa poster called the UK embassy and was told G7 countries will likely not enforce all the requirements on the list http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/867234-metv-im-confused/page-9#entry10038379

Would make sense as it was technically a requirement to show 20k Baht every time one applied for a double entry tourist visa, but that was relaxed for mail applications back home http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15398-Issuance-of-Visa.html

From my readings the METV was designed primarily for persons in the region who want to make multiple (as in many or more than 3) short term trips to Thailand over the six-month validity period and not designed for someone to stay in Thailand continuously for the 6 month validity period exiting only to activate a new 60-day entry period.

Another posted called the Germany embassy and was told these METVs can be issued for as long as needed, as long as you meet the requirements. Suggesting any length of stay, and back to back use, are totally fine. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/868729-metv-visa-vientiane-laos-its-official/page-40#entry10075217

I said "primarily" not exclusively. The biggest problem it seems that needed to be solved was for those in region who wanted to make multiple short trips to Thailand especially those who did not qualify for 30 day visa exempt stays.

Some posts are staring to take this topic off topic. Topic is not about who is a real tourist or not. If you want to discuss that post a topic on the general forum or the pub.

Just a reminder. And add digital nomads to it.

I have removed sevral posts already. No notice will be posted when they are removed from now on.

A Thaivisa poster called the UK embassy and was told G7 countries will likely not enforce all the requirements on the list http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/867234-metv-im-confused/page-9#entry10038379

Would make sense as it was technically a requirement to show 20k Baht every time one applied for a double entry tourist visa, but that was relaxed for mail applications back home http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15398-Issuance-of-Visa.html

From my readings the METV was designed primarily for persons in the region who want to make multiple (as in many or more than 3) short term trips to Thailand over the six-month validity period and not designed for someone to stay in Thailand continuously for the 6 month validity period exiting only to activate a new 60-day entry period.

Another posted called the Germany embassy and was told these METVs can be issued for as long as needed, as long as you meet the requirements. Suggesting any length of stay, and back to back use, are totally fine. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/868729-metv-visa-vientiane-laos-its-official/page-40#entry10075217

The problem with that is that what is currently stated on the UK Embassy's site is that all seven documents / items are required http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/574

The word "or" only appears in paragraph 4 pertaining to the method of showing financial worth.

So until people start applying, we won't know how strictly they'll enforce it.

Edited by VBF

The problem with that is that what is currently stated on the UK Embassy's site is that all seven documents / items are required http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/574

The word "or" only appears in paragraph 4 pertaining to the method of showing financial worth.

So until people start applying, we won't know how strictly they'll enforce it.

I would expect that each embassy has looked at the MFA directive and already decided on their own individual list of requirements. London is asking for employment/business confirmation and the £5k. I expect they will enforce both, but they probably have flexibility as to what they can accept to satisfy each requirement.

No. actually it is the opposite: "now nobody" can get a tourist visa for more than one entry. You seem concerned about yourself only and your country, but in all others the requirements have been made to reasonably exclude anyone. Read, e.g. the UK

http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/574

A young couple thinking lets take some time out in Thailand for 6 months may save up to the point of travel.

But to have saved £10,000 & have it laying in a bank account for 6 months.

They would be on SETV's or off somewhere else as soon as they'd saved the money.

Yes £10K for a couple is madness.

• Like 1

Just wondering how this would affect somone flying from the UK who has already booked a return ticket for 62 days and was planning to get a triple entry visa.

Will you be able to enter Thailand on a visa on arrival and then just do a couple of border runs or is it possible to get an immigration extension?

Guess one of the problems is 62 days is 2 days over the 30 day VOA and 102 x 15 day border extensions. Sorry to be specific but this is a real situation as my nephew has booked Dec 31 returning March 1st. What are his options? He is planning to travel outside of Thailand but nothing booked as yet before returning to BKK and flying home, His problem around new rules is that he is very recently self employed and dont think he had proof of £5k for 6 months of bank statements. Obviously I could transfer some money into his account but I suspect this wouldnt meet with the approval of the authoritites!

Happy to start a separate thread if this is diverging too much

Thanks

Just wondering how this would affect somone flying from the UK who has already booked a return ticket for 62 days and was planning to get a triple entry visa.

Will you be able to enter Thailand on a visa on arrival and then just do a couple of border runs or is it possible to get an immigration extension?

Guess one of the problems is 62 days is 2 days over the 30 day VOA and 102 x 15 day border extensions. Sorry to be specific but this is a real situation as my nephew has booked Dec 31 returning March 1st. What are his options? He is planning to travel outside of Thailand but nothing booked as yet before returning to BKK and flying home, His problem around new rules is that he is very recently self employed and dont think he had proof of £5k for 6 months of bank statements. Obviously I could transfer some money into his account but I suspect this wouldnt meet with the approval of the authoritites!

Thanks

Those from the UK with British passports are not eligible for a VOA !

And ! VOA's only provide a 15 day entry .................

There are no 15 day "border extensions" for people from the UK or anywhere else.

If you have a return ticket dated 62 days from the day of arrival then

1. Buy a single entry tourist visa from the Thai Embassy or one of the consulates which will provide a 60 day entry.

2. Apply for a 7 day extension at an immigration office for a fee of 1900 Bht

3 . Invest in a good tourist guide book such as the Lonely Planet!

Edited by oncearugge

Enter on a visa exempt 30 days

Extend at immigration 30 days

Pay 2 days overstay

Single Entry tourist visa =60 days

Extension =90 days

Or leaving the country before extension then visa exempt on return.

Get SETV.

He doesn't need the METV

He is arriving Dec 31 but planning to exit Thailand around Jan 12th to Laos and/or Cambodia for about 2 weeks most likely by ground transport. So he will arrive back in Thailand the last week of Jan and then potentially have another 5 weeks or so left, so what would his options be?

Will Heathrow staff refuse to let him board if he can only show a return flight to BKK some 60 days later with no other flights or onward out of country travel booked? He only has a hotel booked for the first 3 days in BKK

Thanks for all the helpful responses all.

What is a UK passport holder entitled to then when arriving by plane now? I am a bit concerned myself now as I am coming to Thailand for 3 weeks in December and was just planning on arriving as normal as I am staying under 30 days.

Thanks

Those from the UK with British passports are not eligible for a VOA !

And ! VOA's only provide a 15 day entry .................

There are no 15 day "border extensions" for people from the UK or anywhere else.

If you have a return ticket dated 62 days from the day of arrival then

1. Buy a single entry tourist visa from the Thai Embassy or one of the consulates which will provide a 60 day entry.

2. Apply for a 7 day extension at an immigration office for a fee of 1900 Bht

3 . Invest in a good tourist guide book such as the Lonely Planet!

He is planning to travel outside of thailand before 60 days. Maybe now it would be sensible to stay in thailand for the first 6 weeks and then travel out of Thailand the last 2 weeks before re-entering Thailand for BKK flight home.

If he did do this would the single entry suffice, i.e. would it cover him for 6 weeks without the need for anything else?

Enter on a visa exempt 30 days

Extend at immigration 30 days

Pay 2 days overstay

Single Entry tourist visa =60 days

Extension =90 days

Or leaving the country before extension then visa exempt on return.

Get SETV.

He doesn't need the METV

He is arriving Dec 31 but planning to exit Thailand around Jan 12th to Laos and/or Cambodia for about 2 weeks most likely by ground transport. So he will arrive back in Thailand the last week of Jan and then potentially have another 5 weeks or so left, so what would his options be?

Will Heathrow staff refuse to let him board if he can only show a return flight to BKK some 60 days later with no other flights or onward out of country travel booked? He only has a hotel booked for the first 3 days in BKK

Thanks for all the helpful responses all.

What is a UK passport holder entitled to then when arriving by plane now? I am a bit concerned myself now as I am coming to Thailand for 3 weeks in December and was just planning on arriving as normal as I am staying under 30 days.

Would be nice if the Immigration Officer gave him an Visa Exemption stamp when arriving while having a SETV in his passport. But I couldn't say if he would or wouldn't. Some are more qualified than me.

The Visa Exempt for UK Nationals is 30 days.

He could get a re-entry stamp for ฿1000 but would still need receive an extension, ฿1900 & expensive all round.

Would advise your last post, taylor his trip to his visa.

Arrive on a SETV, visit Loas then return within 30days left to flight home.

Make sure he has the flight home details with him when returning in Thailand.

He get a single entry tourist visa for which none of the requirements discussed here apply. Note what you call VOA is actually visa exempt entry

• Like 1

One day the government will start with what they're trying to achieve and work out from there. At the moment we've got a fallacy at the heart of everything, which is -

All successful countries have complex visa rules

We wish to be successful

Therefore we will have complex visa rules

But the complex rules that other countries have are driven by intentions. You can infer what they're trying to achieve by the rule. You'd struggle to work out what the intentions are behind Thailand's various requirements.

Forcing people to buy a bond on entry that would cover emergency healthcare would make sense. Requiring people to regularly present themselves at a police station makes sense - they might not know that they're wanted and this facilitates arrest.

Edited by Craig krup

Thanks all very much. So just to summarise, the best option appears for him to get a sing entry visa which will allow him 60 days. He should then travel to Laos and Cambodia after approx 45 days which will be within the 60 day SEV. He then returns over the border to Thailand either by foot or Flight a few days before he flies out from BKK and will be ok.

• Like 1

Thanks all very much. So just to summarise, the best option appears for him to get a sing entry visa which will allow him 60 days. He should then travel to Laos and Cambodia after approx 45 days which will be within the 60 day SEV. He then returns over the border to Thailand either by foot or Flight a few days before he flies out from BKK and will be ok.

No need to travel anywhere, he can extend 60 days for 30 more at any immigration office, fee Bt 1,900.

• Like 2

No need to travel anywhere, he can extend 60 days for 30 more at any immigration office, fee Bt 1,900.

He wishes to visit beautiful Laos.
  • Like 2

Portland Honorary Consulate still has on its website for applicants applying by mail:

You must be physically in the United States at the time of application.

which when I noted that on a previous METV topic prompted the query: Well how can they tell?

How can they tell? Probably a funny looking stamp would be their first clue.

Have a feeling Canadians are exempted from this rule, if you read between the lines of this statement from Portland:

"Canadian residents: Do not send Canadian currency money orders - all payments must be in US Dollars."