METV: I'm confused

Degree Qualified Nomad ? cheesy.gif Never met one !

Go to the "upwork" website and scroll through the profiles and hourly rate for serious coders. All I hire have degrees - often a masters. Some probably get by with self-taught skills and references - but if they do not understand "Data-Structures and Algorithms," and "Database Nomalization," they will make a mess. You must design and build complex digital machines that work.

Now consider that in the USA, there are twice as many Sci-Tech-Engrng-Math graduates than 9-5 jobs, yet a visa-program exists to flood the market with non-citizens. So its "nomad" or "starbucks" for most. These are among the good people being kept out of Thailand by visa restrictions.

Did you mean "Database normalization"? Which is not the equivalent of "Rocket science" !

Many so called IT "graduates" struggle with spread sheets. Most are unemployable !

• Like 1

Thailand is trying to get rid of foreigners who stay here for no reason .

So called Digital nomads are not wanted in Thailand .

You call yourselves "nomads"

But you are not nomadic .

Nomads move around, yet you want to stay in one place permanently

You want to live in Thailand and work illegally .

• Like 1

Jacksam is right - enough of this. The haters can stew in their ignorace of enforced Thai policy, and what good coders actually "do" for a living (my old job, btw - not current). Bottom line, the METV won't help under-50s, unless available in Laos or Bali - the last "friendly" consulates in the region.

Edited by JackThompson

Degree Qualified Nomad ? cheesy.gif Never met one !

Go to the "upwork" website and scroll through the profiles and hourly rate for serious coders. All I hire have degrees - often a masters. Some probably get by with self-taught skills and references - but if they do not understand "Data-Structures and Algorithms," and "Database Nomalization," they will make a mess. You must design and build complex digital machines that work.

Now consider that in the USA, there are twice as many Sci-Tech-Engrng-Math graduates than 9-5 jobs, yet a visa-program exists to flood the market with non-citizens. So its "nomad" or "starbucks" for most. These are among the good people being kept out of Thailand by visa restrictions.

In your own words you describe why Thailand should never consider a DN visa:

Now consider that in the USA Thailand, there are twice as many Sci-Tech-Engrng-Math graduates than 9-5 jobs, yet a visa-program exists to flood the market with non-citizens. So its "nomad" or "starbucks" for most.

Edited by ParadiseLost
  • Like 1

... the DN ... are not investors but rather mercenaries. The little they spend here is not benefitting the country enough to offset the negative aspects, such as harboring fugitives, or dishonest people who are happy to break laws which do not suit them.

Money is not a good indication of character, especially in this part of the world which seems to attract the most corrupt! Many of the well healed players in this place (especially Russian) are throwing dirty money around. Look how easy it is to get in - no real security checks and now some want to make it easier to get a long term stay? Pensioners and married men are less likely to be problematic hence the visa provisions.

The biggest travesty by far is that married men are unable to work. That is just plain ignorant. And before you jump in and say you can, I mean the stupid "list of professions restricted to Thai nationals" so no, you can't.

"Fugitives" (harbored by whom?) would be caught when doing 90-day reports, crossing the border, or obtaining extensions of permission to stay. Neither they, nor "dishonest people," play by the rules. The "dirty money" types you speak of, would certainly buy an Elite visa, and have the least scrutiny of all. And there is no "age limit" or "marriage test" as it relates to "character" or corruption.

Many DNs do very difficult work for good money. I can only suggest those who view them as some sort of parasite / freeloaders study a good college-text on "Data Structures and Algorithms." They could live here and contribute far more than the average pensioner, with their income.

Mercenary? Versus what? Why not work on contract, given the "9-5" version of selling ones time for money (aka "Work, in a market-based economy") yields an ever-diminishing standard-of-living in Western nations. It was the private-corporations who threw out long-term careers, the pension-system, good-wages, and even hiring citizens of the nations where they operate - all for "efficiency." (Your country may vary - but give it a few years) DNs are the result of this, not the cause, and are only paid for actual results - not just "showing up on time." This type of work also offers the ability to climb out of poverty for millions in India and elsehwere.

As to the issue of working here: You can, if you have the degrees and skills - IT is not on the forbidden list.

Degree Qualified Nomad ? cheesy.gif

Never met one !

thumbsup.gif

What a bitter and jealous bunch criticizing people who work online using Upwork or any other freelancing site.

and what has that to do with metv, which at the moment is an important subject, and could have far reaching effects on people trying to stay in Thailand

so please stop side tracking the thread

What a bitter and jealous bunch criticizing people who work online using Upwork or any other freelancing site.

and what has that to do with metv, which at the moment is an important subject, and could have far reaching effects on people trying to stay in Thailand

METV is rubbish and is a poor option of visa in my opinion.

• Like 1

You are entitled to your view !

Presumably the visa does not meet your own personal needs?

You are entitled to your view !

Presumably the visa does not meet your own personal needs?

I don't need a visa at present, I am working online in the UK. Anyway plenty of other places in Southeast Asia to visit.

I didn't realise I needed to spell out the fact that SETV's are only available at embassies/consulates.

If you look at the embassies that have published actual criteria so far it varies making it obvious that flexibility exists, but you carry on looking at your half empty glass.

feel free to provide evidence retirees will be able top get one.

Just been on Thai Embassy, London. New visa fees from 13/11/2015

http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/76

Visa Fees Visa Type Fee (£)

1. Transit (3 months validity/Single Entry) £20

2. Tourist (3 months validity/Up to 60 days/Single) £25

3. Tourist (6 months validity/Up to 60 days/Multiple Entries) £125

4. Non-Immigrant (3 months validity/Single Entry/up to 90 days) £50

5. Non-Immigrant (1 year validity/ Multiple Entries) £125

6. Non-Immigrant (3 year validity/ Multiple Entries) £250

7. Non-Immigrant O-A (3 months validity/ Single Entry/Up to 1 year) £50

8. Non-Immigrant O-A (1 year validity/ Multiple Entries/Up to 1 year) £125

Edited by tribalfusion001

Let's take a look at that properly.

post-118612-1446667059844_thumb.jpg

Let's take a look at that properly.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1446667057.898736.jpg

And, as I pointed out in this thread http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/857598-confirmed-new-multiple-entry-tourist-visa-for-thailand-available-from-november/?p=10041434

it's the same price (£125) for a Multi TV that lasts 6 months or a Multi-O that lasts a year! What the **** ??????
The idiots haven't even updated the application form - still says "Tourist Visa (1, 2 OR 3)" with the only Multiple option referring to the "O"facepalm.gif
Edited by VBF

and still no documentation for availability requirements with only a week + to go??!! Incredible. How the hell does anyone plan a holiday without that information??

• Like 1

and still no documentation for availability requirements with only a week + to go??!! Incredible. How the hell does anyone plan a holiday without that information??

That would be organised woudn't it!

Multiple tourist x 3 from UK was £25 per entry, so £75 for 9 months and now £125 for 6 months, nice to be short changed 555

9 months? the extensions add cost.

I didn't mention extensions, that was the cost of the visa in the UK, £75 plus £10 for passport to be returned. 60 + 30, 60 + 30, 60 + 30 = 90. With the new METV you have leave after 60 days, so you add extra cost by exiting the country twice.

£125 for a 5000 baht visa, hmmm, 5000 baht is worth £91 today, nice...

Multiple tourist x 3 from UK was £25 per entry, so £75 for 9 months and now £125 for 6 months, nice to be short changed 555

I didn't mention extensions, that was the cost of the visa in the UK, £75 plus £10 for passport to be returned. 60 + 30, 60 + 30, 60 + 30 = 90. With the new METV you have leave after 60 days, so you add extra cost by exiting the country twice.

the UK gives 60+30 tourist visas?

Triple entry visa from the UK Thai embassy was good for 9 months with extensions, 60 + extension 30, exit, 60 + extension 30, exit, 60 + extension 30 = 9 months. my mistake, post before was not clear.

No!!!!!! Never has, before anyone gets excited!!!!!

What tribalfusion means (I presume) is 60 days stay + 30 days extension

Edited by VBF

Triple entry visa from the UK Thai embassy was good for 9 months with extensions, 60 + extension 30, exit, 60 + extension 30, exit, 60 + extension 30 = 9 months

so the total cost would be more than 75 when you add the cost of the extensions

Triple entry visa from the UK Thai embassy was good for 9 months with extensions, 60 + extension 30, exit, 60 + extension 30, exit, 60 + extension 30 = 9 months

so the total cost would be more than 75 when you add the cost of the extensions

Yes but THAT was always the case - extensions were always payable in addition to the visa cost.