The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

Let`s say that the money requirements somehow make sense.

Even for people who have income of different kind monthly, and don`t need all money up front.

By showing it, we`ll give Thailand some peace of mind before entering.

What I have a hard time to grasp though, is the job requirement. How can it make sense that we actually need to have a job in our own country to get this METV?

Many of us don`t need to have a job back home during our time in Thailand, of let`s say 6-9 months. Why would we? It is unlikely we get paid during our time here anyway.

Working beforehand is a quite different thing. Many of us are working for a while back home, saving up money and plan to spend the next half a year or so in Thailand. Money is no issue, and many stop working for a while.

To get this METV, one must still have this job while in Thailand, or you don`t get it at all. Who will fill these requirements? Who can just take a 6-9 month holiday, and even do it repeatedly, (for those who talk about "just go back and apply again"..)?

And the employer also have to write a letter stating the purpose of this vacation, as if they care what your purpose is, or what you do during your holidays. Even your salary and job position, and how many years working there, are required by some embassies.

I find this very hard to understand, and for me it does not make any sense. If the purpose is to keep people away from working illegally in Thailand, there are other ways of doing that imo. You have already showed that you in fact have the financial requirements, so you shouldn`t need to work anyway. Why do Thailand care what work we have when we go back to our own country after ended holidays or break here?

This METV will not be much used imo, the requirements are just not fitting the bill. Single entry tourist visas will be much more common after this, I guess, and will be the only choice of the vast majority that use TV today.

Its either or proof of employment OR the money in the bank in the UK Hull memo on the subject

Monday is going to be a big day where METV theory meets real life.

Big general Macro indicators awaited:

1. How different Embassy's/Consulates interpret what should be the same set of standards to issue the new METV
  2. Experiences of applications turning up at either overseas of home country Embassy/Consulate.

I am also guessing that many new applicants on the day will have no idea this change has actually taken place. I went to Vientiane earlier this week to get an early double tourist visa before they ended. I was expecting a huge stampede of applicants, but there was none. I saw at the end of the queue (Thursday) the highest ticket number was 251 - The last time I was there this number was over 620,

From the many people I spoke to they had no idea of this change taking place and a few even thought they could actually get their METV this week on their current application. There was entirely no information available anywhere at the Embassy and none of the staff knew much what was happening next Monday. Its going to be an interesting read on this forum what actually does happen

ThaiVisa could charge a pay per view subscription for next week and probably get plenty of customers. I would also not be in the least surprised to find someone somewhere at some Embassy resetting calibrations on what we thought we knew.

METV terms are straight forward and only available in your home country or any other country where you are a legal residence.

It is my understanding that I could apply for a 2nd passport at any US Consulate. For example, I am overseas, want to travel to country X and submit my passport to them to do so, but will need my passport to go to country Y before I get it back. USA rules do not spell it out in detail. I'm not sure about the UK.

Point taken about using the local-consulate of the nation in question - if there is one where one happens to be, at the time. But if that local consulate says, "We only handle those for locals," then we are back to the question of mailing across borders, or breaking one's itenerary. Each nation decides what is a "good enough" reason for the 2nd PP.

There is no problem posting a passport, not in use, across borders if the receiving embassy/consulate allow it. I don't believe the US, UK or most other embassies would accept an application from anyone not in the country. If there isn't an embassy/consulate within the country you're in the options are to go to one that has or post the application if allowed.

The issue I had in previous threads was with the suggestion that it's ok to send a passport, currently in use, to a family member back home who will forward it on to the embassy. If applications whilst abroad were allowed there wouldn't be the need for this deception and I would expect to see the option stated on the website. I don't buy in to the if it doesn't say you can't, then you can argument.

I think we just have to "agree to disagree" on this point, as it would require mind-reading skills to know with certainty what is "assumed" and/or "wanted" by just reading the rules. Per common-law, "If it doesn't explicitly say you can't, then you can." But I concede that your interpretation could also be correct.

I think we would all like to hear a transcript of the discussions and memos that led to the METV rules - and why they did not decide to impliment other rules - back-to-back and/or maximum-stay/yr. One would think those questions must have come up in the discussions. Many theories have been put forward, but none of us have any inside-info (that I am aware) to claim them as fact.

IMO they haven't announced back to back limits as they can leave that to the discretion of the embassies/consulates who already have the power to apply limits. It's better to let them make local limits to reflect the demand and local issues. Hopefully any local limits will be made public knowledge although I won't be holding my breath on that.

Edited by elviajero

Its either or proof of employment OR the money in the bank in the UK Hull memo on the subject

It's both.

Hull website

4. Copies of your latest 6 months bank statements showing at least £5,000 throughout the entire 6

Bank statements must show applicant’s name and current UK address. Married couples are required to meet this requirement each.

6. If you are employed, an official letter from your employer stating how long you have been employed by them and confirming that they are aware you will be travelling to Thailand as a tourist for a period of (state period of absence - maximum 6 months).

or

If you are self-employed, a copy of your HMRC SA100 Self Assessment Tax Form for the last tax year.

It's both.

Hull website

4. Copies of your latest 6 months bank statements showing at least £5,000 throughout the entire 6

Bank statements must show applicant’s name and current UK address. Married couples are required to meet this requirement each.

6. If you are employed, an official letter from your employer stating how long you have been employed by them and confirming that they are aware you will be travelling to Thailand as a tourist for a period of (state period of absence - maximum 6 months).

or

If you are self-employed, a copy of your HMRC SA100 Self Assessment Tax Form for the last tax year.

Married couple=£10,000 seasoned 6months.

2 kids=£20,000 seasoned 6months???

Has anyone seen a proviso for a child's visa???

It's both.

Hull website

or

No it is either or

TOURIST VISA WITH MULTIPLE ENTRIES

COPIES OF LATEST 6 MONTHS BANK STATEMENTS SHOWING MINIMUM OF £5,000 CONTINUOUSLY BANK STATEMENTS MUST SHOW APPLICANT'S NAME AND ADDRESS

COPY OF CONFIRMED RETURN OR ONWARD AIR TICKET WITHIN 6 MONTHS OF ENTERING THAILAND COPY OF CONFIRMED RESERVATION AT A HOTEL

or

IF STAYING WITH RELATIVES/FRIENDS, COPY OF UTILITY BILL SHOWING THEIR NAME & ADDRESS IN THAILAND

LETTER FROM EMPLOYER STATING HOW LONG YOU HAVE BEEN EMPLOYED AND THAT THEY ARE AWARE YOU ARE GOING TO THAILAND FOR UP TO 6 MONTHS

or

IF SELF EMPLOYED, PHOTOCOPY OF LATEST SUBMITTED HMRC SA100 SELF EMPLOYED TAX RETURN FORM

Edited by ubonjoe
moved reply from quoted text

No it is either or

COPIES OF LATEST 6 MONTHS BANK STATEMENTS SHOWING MINIMUM OF £5,000 CONTINUOUSLY BANK STATEMENTS MUST SHOW APPLICANT'S NAME AND ADDRESS

COPY OF CONFIRMED RETURN OR ONWARD AIR TICKET WITHIN 6 MONTHS OF ENTERING THAILAND COPY OF CONFIRMED RESERVATION AT A HOTEL

or

IF STAYING WITH RELATIVES/FRIENDS, COPY OF UTILITY BILL SHOWING THEIR NAME & ADDRESS IN THAILAND

LETTER FROM EMPLOYER STATING HOW LONG YOU HAVE BEEN EMPLOYED AND THAT THEY ARE AWARE YOU ARE GOING TO THAILAND FOR UP TO 6 MONTHS

or

IF SELF EMPLOYED, PHOTOCOPY OF LATEST SUBMITTED HMRC SA100 SELF EMPLOYED TAX RETURN FORM

It is not. What you are posting is saying.............

6 months bank statements showing £5,000

and

Plane ticket and hotel booking OR Utility bill if staying with relatives/freinds.

and

Letter from employer OR Self employed tax return.

• Like 1

It's both.

Hull website

or

Nope but realistically how many families of 4 are going to go on holiday to Thailand for 6 months and need multiple entries? None is my guess.

Any that do could just get 2 SETV's. One in their home country and the other locally. The don't need a METV.

No it is either or

or

or

It is not. What you are posting is saying.............

6 months bank statements showing £5,000

and

Plane ticket and hotel booking OR Utility bill if staying with relatives/freinds.

and

Letter from employer OR Self employed tax return.

And... "Bank statements must show applicant’s name and #current UK address#." Edited by JB300

It's both.

Hull website

or

Nope but realistically how many families of 4 are going to go on holiday to Thailand for 6 months and need multiple entries? None is my guess.

Any that do could just get 2 SETV's. One in their home country and the other locally. The don't need a METV.

I'll try English.

A family may wish to use the unlimited entries on the METV as some families do "back-pack" though not that many.

I hope they do update a proviso so as not to exclude outgoing families.

Unless the visa wasn't aimed at these type of tourist.

But would be nice to understand if the METV is applicable to them.

You might consider the honorary consulate in Hawaii for the O-A visa.

I don't think so. MFA was pretty emphatic a few years back when they issued to the honoraries, "Thou shalt not issue OA visas." Even 'going the extra mile" Portland complies with this edict.

Most people that have money in the bank are actually the strugglers. Anyone with wealth would have a sizable line of credit in their chosen bank. With current account with small balance. You have a net worth including shares super real estate etc etc. Some like rentals etc pay your weekly/monthly bills. Also wipe the credit card before the charges kick in. This metv requirement is from the dark ages. I won't even start with the rubbish job requirement.

Edited by jacksam
  • Like 1

Most people that have money in the bank are actually the strugglers. Anyone with wealth would have a sizable line of credit in their chosen bank. With current account with small balance. You have a net worth including shares super real estate etc etc. Some like rentals etc pay your weekly/monthly bills. Also wipe the credit card before the charges kick in. This metv requirement is from the dark ages. I won't even start with the rubbish job requirement.

Seems to make no sense.

Maybe it's just aimed to unofficially vet people who reside, invest their money & life while still being able to later announce that was never the official line if attitudes change at a drop of a hat.

If so an underhand way to treat people.

But everyone should just be grateful, eh?

No thanks.

• Like 1

Seems to make no sense.

Maybe it's just aimed to unofficially vet people who reside, invest their money & life while still being able to later announce that was never the official line if attitudes change at a drop of a hat.

No thanks.

Could you please translate that into English with something that has some meaning

• Like 2

A young couple thinking lets take some time out in Thailand for 6 months may save up to the point of travel.

But to have saved £10,000 & have it laying in a bank account for 6 months.

They would be on SETV's or off somewhere else as soon as they'd saved the money.

Yes £10K for a couple is madness.

What is the age cut-off for visas or for these requirements? Would a family of 4 (2 adults and their two kids aged 18 and 20) really need to show 20,000 pounds in the bank?

Would it need to be in 4 different bank accounts or can it all be in one account?

• Like 1

Seems to make no sense.

No thanks.

Could you please translate that into English with something that has some meaning

Just wanted my view (gripe) with the reasoning of the visa.

Maybe off balance, maybe not. But will be deleted. The visa is here for good or bad.

A young couple thinking lets take some time out in Thailand for 6 months may save up to the point of travel.

But to have saved £10,000 & have it laying in a bank account for 6 months.

They would be on SETV's or off somewhere else as soon as they'd saved the money.

Yes £10K for a couple is madness.

What is the age cut-off for visas or for these requirements? Would a family of 4 (2 adults and their two kids aged 18 and 20) really need to show 20,000 pounds in the bank?

Would it need to be in 4 different bank accounts or can it all be in one account?

There is no proviso for dependants, good point about the age cut off for dependants.

Letters from school or newsagents where they have a paper round?

"Apparently" families wouldn't travel like this & I couldn't see many would.

Maybe it will be cleared up, I just feel this isn't for visiting tourists. Maybe wrong.

• Like 1

I think you will find that they will use the rule for financial proof used for other visas. Just double the money needed for a single person which will mean a family will only need to show the equivalent of 400k baht.

This is what is says now on MFA website.. "Evidence of adequate finance (20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family)"

• Like 1

How about flopping out a premium MasterCard limit 40k aud. Or getting them to gander your tax return showing several properties. Or in case of a retiree having an accessible super fund with often 500k plus. Money in back is a nonsense . I hope that these requirements are simplified in the fullness of time.

How about flopping out a premium MasterCard limit 40k aud. Or getting them to gander your tax return showing several properties. Or in case of a retiree having an accessible super fund with often 500k plus. Money in back is a nonsense . I hope that these requirements are simplified in the fullness of time.

Will you then also have to show them a statement showing your current balance on that Master Card? For the rest, they are consular workers, not forensic accountants.

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1

As another posted, the METV is here for good or bad and it will be a couple of months before we all know how strictly the rules will be applied in different countries.

Recent events make me think that for a good while they will be very strict at the application point and I really wouldn't be surprised if the same paperwork, statements of cash held, details of employment etc are asked for on entry to Thailand

I'm not saying they will be, just saying it might be something to think about.

They have said what they wanted subject to any revision. What you think is that one should be able to submit something that would require a detailed financial analysis and judgement call of the consular worker who has been assigned a template to judge financial resources.

What work would a person do while on a METV.?

Teach english, dive instructor, time share sales, tour guide, bar manager, on line work, just about anything really as they do now on TETV.

Perhaps the conditions of the METV make it more likely they wont work and will go home to start work again.

• Like 1

Some posts are staring to take this topic off topic. Topic is not about who is a real tourist or not. If you want to discuss that post a topic on the general forum or the pub.

Just a reminder. And add digital nomads to it.

I have removed several posts already. No notice will be posted when they are removed from now on.

Again a reminder.

Bickering over the requirements is also off topic. Time to end it.

• Like 2

// Anyone with wealth would have a sizable line of credit in their chosen bank.

With current account with small balance. //

Why are you insisting again and again on this point Jacksam?

Nowhere there is a requirement that money must be in a current or saving account,

but just that it must be "in the bank", which can be any kind of investment or guarantee.

Edited by Pattaya46
  • Like 1