The Multiple Entry Tourist Visa Topic (METV)

In my email I said that I am a UK national travelling Asia and not legally resident in India. I also said I wasn't employed in India and the funds were in a UK bank. I made it clear that I wanted to apply for the METV and could travel to India if necessary. Based on that they have referred me to the Thai embassy/consulate in my home country.

One iteration (can't remember which country) stated that the applicant needs to provide proof that they are legally allowed to be in the country they apply from. Not sure what the rules are for Indian visas but I assume they have an overstay concept. i.e. if you are illegal in India then you cannot get an METV. In time and as usual, a 'clarification' will be given by some government body.

The only one that I have noticed is the Portland OR honorary consulate which says:

You must be physically in the United States at the time of application.

but it makes no suggestions as to what if any proof would be required or requested. Maybe they don't want you to know what proof might be required or requested.

Wouldn't you have to turn up in person anyway? I heard only DC does it by mail but could be wrong.

Maybe they don't want you to know what proof might be required or requested.

Best laugh of the day so far because that would not be a surprise at all.

Put out something vague and see what people are willing to put up with... then adjust rules to each area.

• Like 2

The only thing I have seen that requires a mailing or any application only to Washington DC or one of the official consulates is the O-A visa. The Portland OR honorary consulate website gives details on the METV but does not say that it cannot be applied for by mail same as the SETV.

BTW for others the Portland consulate is regarded in USA same as the old Hull Consulate in UK or the old Perth in Australia.

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1

Maybe they don't want you to know what proof might be required or requested.

Best laugh of the day so far because that would not be a surprise at all.

Put out something vague and see what people are willing to put up with... then adjust rules to each area.

Not just that, but if they say we want to see X as proof that you are in USA there's a bunch on here who would start the conversation: How can we provide a dummy X to send to those Portland folks. Or they might have several proofs they might request but they do not want you to know which one they will request of you.

• Like 1

The only thing I have seen that requires a mailing or any application only to Washington DC or one of the official consulates is the O-A visa. The Portland OR honorary consulate website gives details on the METV but does not say that it cannot be applied for by mail same as the SETV.

BTW for others the Portland consulate is regarded in USA same as the old Hull Consulate in UK or the old Perth in Australia.

Hull and the other UK consulates had postal application privilege taken away. Now any postal applications have to go through London. I wonder why!

Hull and the other UK consulates had postal application privilege taken away. Now any postal applications have to go through London. I wonder why!

I think the UK honorary consulates were being punished for accepting applications from outside the UK.

Some time ago the embassy in DC came out with a notice that the honorary consulates in the states could not accept mail in applications. The consulate in Portland is the only one reported as accepting mail in applications. Perhaps they got a waiver of the rule. The Houston consulate has a notice on it's website about no mail in applications. http://thaiconsulatehouston.com/

There is nothing on their website about the METV.

• Like 1

Was good week or more ago and no idea of which thread. Thankfully, all posts on the matter are now contained here.

I should post the latest I have again, now it is a pinned thread. Called up someone I know at a UK consulate some 10 days ago as she told me that G7 countries will be exempt from financial proof and that was likely to expand to the EU as a whole. More was said but that is the end result, according to her. I was phoning on behalf of a UK resident but still took time to ask about foreign (non UK) passports and she said the rules are the same as before. The rules 'were', as I remember, that any country could apply but the mail return address had to be in the UK.

If they do seriously restrict the Passport holder then it will cause serious loss in revenue from people in their mid 20's who go to Australia to work for a year to Australians to go to the UK for a year or two to work. The numbers who do this are over a million and many do an extended stay in Thailand on the return leg.

Then there are what I call the '6 monthers', people who work during the summer in Europe to boost their pension then spend 6 months in Thailand to avoid the cold. This is why I think the government does not understand how people use money outside of the kingdom. If they think everyone just sitting there has the equivalent of 200,000 Baht in their account for 6 months then they really need to grow up.

• Like 2

I think the UK honorary consulates were being punished for accepting applications from outside the UK.

Some time ago the embassy in DC came out with a notice that the honorary consulates in the states could not accept mail in applications. The consulate in Portland is the only one reported as accepting mail in applications. Perhaps they got a waiver of the rule. The Houston consulate has a notice on it's website about no mail in applications. http://thaiconsulatehouston.com/

There is nothing on their website about the METV.

I thought only POs were accepted in consulates?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postal_order

n the UK anyway.

n the UK anyway.

When the consulates in the UK could accept mail in applications some were accepting credit/debut cards (Hull did).

The Houston consulate wants money orders but they do not have to be one from the post office. In the US you can get a money order from many sources including a 7/11 for example.

n the UK anyway.

When the consulates in the UK could accept mail in applications some were accepting credit/debut cards (Hull did).

The Houston consulate wants money orders but they do not have to be one from the post office. In the US you can get a money order from many sources including a 7/11 for example.

Not quite what I mean mate. Went from Debit card I used for years to PO only. It there now no postal applications at all in the UK for a TV unless from London?

Or they might have several proofs they might request but they do not want you to know which one they will request of you.

To what end?

To determine whether you -- and not just your passport -- are physically in the USA when the application was mailed to Portland. That may indeed have been a stipulation that Portland has to meet to get the waiver on mail-in applications to an honorary consulate as mentioned by UJoe.

BTW Portland has same day service for in-person applications. Hopefully the other honorary consulates will offer the same even if the can't do mail-ins.

Edited by JLCrab

It is crucial about how the "residency /living in a Country of origin" rules will be interpreted in regards to getting back to back METVs .

If you have been abroad for six months, they may say that you are no longer a resident in that/your Country and therefore do not qualify for another METV

"(By the way foreigners can apply in India for METV through VFS )"

Have you confirmed that fact with VFS?

I emailed VFS to ask if someone not living or working in India could apply for the METV, This is their reply.

Dear Applicant, Thank you for writing to the Thailand Visa Help Desk. We understand that you would like to know about the Thai Visa.

Please be informed that we only assist if the applicants are applying Visa from India to Thailand. ...

First - Sincere Thanks for your ongoing research into this visa. I only wish they responded in clear language.

Are they saying one "visiting" India could apply, or only "Indian citizens / legal-residents" can apply? A trip to India would be interesting, but I would guess this is not an option to apply - primarily given the METV rules at other consulates.

In my email I said that I am a UK national travelling Asia and not legally resident in India. I also said I wasn't employed in India and the funds were in a UK bank. I made it clear that I wanted to apply for the METV and could travel to India if necessary. Based on that they have referred me to the Thai embassy/consulate in my home country.

I agree that the language is unclear and the answer does create more questions, but I wouldn't rush off to India based on Kitsune's statement unless she has something to share to back up her claim.

Go to the main VFS Global website / Select Destination / Select Residence and your residence is either India or Bangladesh. VFS is only permitted to handle either Indians or Bangladeshi in those 2 countries.

Advise today was call the Thai Embassy or Consulate directly to make an appointment for a single entry visa.

Source: VFS Global Bangkok and Delhi

• Like 1

It is crucial about how the "residency /living in a Country of origin" rules will be interpreted in regards to getting back to back METVs .

If you have been abroad for six months, they may say that you are no longer a resident in that/your Country and therefore do not qualify for another METV

Where do you dream these things up. Seriously are you serious with your imagination of what constitutes being a resident of your own country.

Btw that is mainly a taxation matter.

I am not a residence in my country and my passport shows clearly that my residence is Sakon Nakhon, Thailand but I still fly once a year to Berlin to get my 1 year visa. Have been doing that for the past 2 years

My understanding based on closely reading the document from Hull is that it uses the word OR between paragraphs which some posters have removed. There is no idiomatic translation or ambiguity in the word OR so according to this - You need to show evidence of money in the bank and tickets and hotel reservations in one instance but in the other instance it refers to staying with friends in Thailand and their genuine identity and location and your employment status.

In this document try replacing the word or with the but To reiterate:The first two paragraphs are referring to different scenarios or so it can be and will construed. One paragraph is about funding, travel and hotel accommodation but the other is about staying with friends in Thailand and their genuine identity and location and your employment status in your home country. Seems pretty clear cut to me. But we will find out how 'or' is interpreted in due course in various embassies around the world. However, in all matters of Thai visa matters I deign to other peoples superior experience but about this new visa there is little or no real experience.

TOURIST VISA WITH MULTIPLE ENTRIES

COPIES OF LATEST 6 MONTHS BANK STATEMENTS SHOWING MINIMUM OF £5,000 CONTINUOUSLY BANK STATEMENTS MUST SHOW APPLICANT'S NAME AND ADDRESS

COPY OF CONFIRMED RETURN OR ONWARD AIR TICKET WITHIN 6 MONTHS OF ENTERING THAILAND COPY OF CONFIRMED RESERVATION AT A HOTEL

or

IF STAYING WITH RELATIVES/FRIENDS, COPY OF UTILITY BILL SHOWING THEIR NAME & ADDRESS IN THAILAND

LETTER FROM EMPLOYER STATING HOW LONG YOU HAVE BEEN EMPLOYED AND THAT THEY ARE AWARE YOU ARE GOING TO THAILAND FOR UP TO 6 MONTHS

or

IF SELF EMPLOYED, PHOTOCOPY OF LATEST SUBMITTED HMRC SA100 SELF EMPLOYED TAX RETURN FORM

• Like 1

My understanding based on closely reading the document from Hull is that it uses the word OR between paragraphs which some posters have removed. There is no idiomatic translation or ambiguity in the word OR so according to this - You need to show evidence of money in the bank and tickets and hotel reservations in one instance but in the other instance it refers to staying with friends in Thailand and their genuine identity and location and your employment status.

In this document try replacing the word or with the but To reiterate:The first two paragraphs are referring to different scenarios or so it can be and will construed. One paragraph is about funding, travel and hotel accommodation but the other is about staying with friends in Thailand and their genuine identity and location and your employment status in your home country. Seems pretty clear cut to me. But we will find out how 'or' is interpreted in due course in various embassies around the world. However, in all matters of Thai visa matters I deign to other peoples superior experience but about this new visa there is little or no real experience.

COPIES OF LATEST 6 MONTHS BANK STATEMENTS SHOWING MINIMUM OF £5,000 CONTINUOUSLY BANK STATEMENTS MUST SHOW APPLICANT'S NAME AND ADDRESS

COPY OF CONFIRMED RETURN OR ONWARD AIR TICKET WITHIN 6 MONTHS OF ENTERING THAILAND COPY OF CONFIRMED RESERVATION AT A HOTEL

or

IF STAYING WITH RELATIVES/FRIENDS, COPY OF UTILITY BILL SHOWING THEIR NAME & ADDRESS IN THAILAND

LETTER FROM EMPLOYER STATING HOW LONG YOU HAVE BEEN EMPLOYED AND THAT THEY ARE AWARE YOU ARE GOING TO THAILAND FOR UP TO 6 MONTHS

or

IF SELF EMPLOYED, PHOTOCOPY OF LATEST SUBMITTED HMRC SA100 SELF EMPLOYED TAX RETURN FORM

Although you will have to show something from each category (above) otherwise if a person were to choose the last category, self employed , he would simply have to show his tax returns, without having to provide anything else .

He would also have to provide things from the other two category's, like a return flight and proof of funds IMO

or

or

Although you will have to show something from each category (above) otherwise if a person were to choose the last category, self employed , he would simply have to show his tax returns, without having to provide anything else .

He would also have to provide things from the other two category's, like a return flight and proof of funds IMO

Currently their is possible ambiguity in the new system but that is the Thai way in many aspects of their language and culture. I find it charming leaving plenty of space for wriggle room.

@ The manic

Here is the link again to the Hull website. I'm sorry but your understanding is wrong. There are 9 separate requirements to meet. Some requirements you have a choice, but you must show money in the bank (4) and employment (6). They are separate requirements and not either or choices.

It is necessary to visit the Royal Thai Consulate, Hull IN PERSON and bring with you the following FOR EACH APPLICANT:-

1. Completed Visa Application Form (this can be completed at the Hull Consulate).

2. Two recent passport size photos (for attachment to the visa application form).

3. Passport with minimum 6 months remaining validity and with at least two blank pages for the visa and for entry/exit stamps).

For holders of UK passports it must state that they are a BRITISH CITIZEN.

Holders of other passports must provide evidence that they are resident in the UK (utility bill or UK residence permit).

4. Copies of your latest 6 months bank statements showing at least £5,000 throughout the entire 6 months.

Bank statements must show applicant’s name and current UK address. Married couples are required to meet this requirement each.

5. For children up to the age of 20 accompanying one or both parents each child’s birth certificate is required.

6. If you are employed, an official letter from your employer stating how long you have been employed by them and confirming that they are aware you will be travelling to Thailand as a tourist for a period of (state period of absence - maximum 6 months).

or

If you are self-employed, a copy of your HMRC SA100 Self Assessment Tax Form for the last tax year.

7. Copy of Confirmed Return Air Ticket to Thailand

8. Copy of Reservation Confirmation from hotel in Thailand.

or

If you are staying in Thailand with relatives or friends, copy of a utility bill showing their name and address in Thailand.

9. Visa fee £125 plus £10 processing charge = £135 IN CASH ONLY

Applicants who cannot provide ALL the above (1 to 9) will be granted only a SINGLE ENTRY Tourist Visa.

There is another thread with a young couple wishing to travel los for one or two Years. Have plenty of funds. Are ending employment to achieve this. Seems the metv not possible for these genuine tourists also. 2 of many.

@ The manic

Here is the link again to the Hull website. I'm sorry but your understanding is wrong. There are 9 separate requirements to meet. Some requirements you have a choice, but you must show money in the bank (4) and employment (6). They are separate requirements and not either or choices.

No one knows yet it they'll all be enforced though. A few posters were told the employment proof won't be necessary.

• Like 1

@ The manic

No one knows yet it they'll all be enforced though. A few posters were told the employment proof won't be necessary.

Good luck with that but it has nothing to do with my post. The manic was misreading the written requirements for Hull.

I think the proof of employment claim was for the US. The UK's written requirements seem more stringent than the US. It doesn't make much sense that they launch a new visa, publish the requirements, and then don't enforce them! I don't think requirements will be enforced exactly as stated on any website but I'd expect the flexibility to be only within each requirement.

There is another thread with a young couple wishing to travel los for one or two Years. Have plenty of funds. Are ending employment to achieve this. Seems the metv not possible for these genuine tourists also. 2 of many.

you say last time you know you can do it in laos ? remember 55555+

• Like 1

@ The manic

Good luck with that but it has nothing to do with my post. The manic was misreading the written requirements for Hull.

I think the proof of employment claim was for the US. The UK's written requirements seem more stringent than the US. It doesn't make much sense that they launch a new visa, publish the requirements, and then don't enforce them! I don't think requirements will be enforced exactly as stated on any website but I'd expect the flexibility to be only within each requirement.

It says employment letter OR HMRC SA100 tax return form, so employment proof is not required IF you can prove you have an income legally earned and taxed in the UK.

@ The manic

It says employment letter OR HMRC SA100 tax return form, so employment proof is not required IF you can prove you have an income legally earned and taxed in the UK.

Thats right but not the point be discussed.

The manic said "Its either or proof of employment OR the money in the bank in the UK Hull memo on the subject" which is not correct.

(4) requires money in the bank.

​(6) requires employment letter Or SA100.

so what is a confirmed hotel? A receipt showing payment? No way I would book a hotel and pay in advance. Too many times the famous pay for one type of room and get there and you get a different type of room, or the one next to the huge outside air conditioning fans or right above the noisy street or whatever. I live by the see the room first before paying rule

A lot of the best houses for rent aren't on the Internet. The ones that are on the Internet are at a marked up price.

People understand that & do turn up at their location then search out the best accommodation for the price.

That's the way as long as I can remember it's worked in Thailand. Apart for short term vacations.

Staying in the region on a long term basis I doubt many would solely stay in hotels.

I don't think immigration understands that as they asked my wife for a full itinerary for a SETV. A weeks apartment rental in Bangkok wasn't enough. Having 1 for 6 months...???

• Like 1

so what is a confirmed hotel? A receipt showing payment? No way I would book a hotel and pay in advance. Too many times the famous pay for one type of room and get there and you get a different type of room, or the one next to the huge outside air conditioning fans or right above the noisy street or whatever. I live by the see the room first before paying rule

Some online booking sites let you print out a reservation then only pay if you turn up on the day, booking.com is one. There'll probably be a way to cheekily get round most of these requirements, if they're even enforced.