Visa for UK intern in Thailand

Hi

I am a member of academic staff at a major UK university. Many of our students undertake interships as part of their course - to gain practical experience and apply their knowledge. We carefully vet each intership to ensure that it is a genuine learning experience and the student is not exploited.

Interships are increasingly 'international' and I have recently had students working in e.g. Malaysia, Switzerland and Nigeria.

For next year we have been offered a 12-month intership at a private company in Thailand. I am confident that this is an excellent opportunity for one of our students, however I am concerned about the visa situation.

I made a call to the Thai embassy in London and was told that an Educational visa would be appropriate. I asked for written confirmation (email) but have received nothing. A second call met with a very confused response (I really wasn't able to follow what was being said).

My concern is that we don't want to send a student into a potentially risky situation where s/he might be refused entry or even deported.

My university will provide documents confirming the student status of the intern and the Thai company will provide a contract. No salary will be paid. We do have partner universities in Thailand, but they are not involved in this intership.

Advice would be appreciated.

A internship falls under the non immigrant ED visa category. The embassy was correct when you called them.

The problem is that they must get a multiple entry visa that will allow 90 day entries for a year. They will have to leave the country every 90 days for a new entry.

There is no extension possible from immigration for an internship unless it is done through a university here.

Ok. So my understanding:

The student should apply for a one-year Ed visa in London.

After 90 days in Thailand they can depart to a neighbouring country and will get the visa stamped, giving another 90 days validity?

Can the re-entry be by land or air?

Thanks for your advice..

Ok. So my understanding:

The student should apply for a one-year Ed visa in London.

After 90 days in Thailand they can depart to a neighbouring country and will get the visa stamped, giving another 90 days validity?

Can the re-entry be by land or air?

Thanks for your advice..

Aptly in London by post or in person or in person at one of the consulates. The consulates will have to get approval from London for it.

Info for London can be found here: http://www.thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/4

Yes a one year visa.

After 90 days they have to enter a neighboring country to get a new entry. It can be done by land or air on the same day just go out and back.

As a "senior academic" you should arrange to link your course and internships with one of the major Thai universities.

If such an arrangement is made the "visa" problem will go away.

Yes, we have 'Memoranda of Understanding' with several Thai universities so I will explore that route.

Edited by UniLecturer