Corruption in Phuket Immigration

There are immigration offices in Thailand that have stopped issuing a certificate of residence because of whining like this. whistling.gif BTW there is no law that says an immigration office has to issue this document.wink.png

But if you want a driver licens you must have one certificate of residence to the office where you get the driver license.

I got my certificate a few weeks ago in Phuket, the immigration officer asked me for 300B til I pointed out it was free, he laughed and quickly changed the subject.I didn't pay.

I too don't understand why there are no camera's in there,they should be behind each officer, so the "alien" and the officer are in the picture! laugh.png

Just like in shops where the camera is on the till - it's to stop the shop assistants stealing as well as keeping an eye on the customer.

If every buddy start to use mobil camera, i start from to day.

I got my certificate a few weeks ago in Phuket, the immigration officer asked me for 300B til I pointed out it was free, he laughed and quickly changed the subject.I didn't pay.

I too don't understand why there are no camera's in there,they should be behind each officer, so the "alien" and the officer are in the picture! laugh.png

Just like in shops where the camera is on the till - it's to stop the shop assistants stealing as well as keeping an eye on the customer.

No filming or photos are allowed in Immigration offices or any other government building without consent.

I went to Nakhon Sawan for certificate of residency and its 500bht. Now I have no idea if its supposed to be free but 500 bht is nothing. I have no proof its going into some fund but we are blessed with a great office here and I would gladly contibute more if I knew it was as these guys and gals are great and deserve it as they maybe get paid peanuts anyway. Why some moan about a measly 300 bht is beyond me.

Edited by bim
  • Like 2

I also paid 300 THB in a Jomtien for the CoR,

However, considering what I have to pay for similar services in my home country -despite the huge tax burden - , it's more than acceptable. Just as example: my consulate here is charging European prices, the legislation / verification of just for 4 pages was 1900 baht ...

Imagine, from whom I felt exploitet - the Thai or my own home country?

ask for a letter from THE BRITISH EMBASSY and see how much they CHARGE.

That is a legal, if unjustifiably large amount, not the same thing at all as a corrupt illegal charge. Those paying for free services are fools that only encourage corruption.

Edited by jacky54

However, considering what I have to pay for similar services in my home country -despite the huge tax burden - , it's more than acceptable. Just as example: my consulate here is charging European prices, the legislation / verification of just for 4 pages was 1900 baht ...

That is a legal, if unjustifiably large amount, not the same thing at all as a corrupt illegal charge. Those paying for free services are fools that only encourage corruption.

Yes legal corruption the UK is full of it as the criminals legalise there corruption. 1900 bht is insane. Again why some moan about 300 bht is crazy. The residency letter at my local amphoe took 3 days and many visits. 300 bht to get it there and then is peanuts. We are not fools its what it is. These guys get paid peanuts. As long as there nice to me as I am to them which they are here than thats all one can ask. Edited by bim

There are immigration offices in Thailand that have stopped issuing a certificate of residence because of whining like this. whistling.gif BTW there is no law that says an immigration office has to issue this document.wink.png

But if you want a driver licens you must have one certificate of residence to the office where you get the driver license.

Or yellow housebook or workpermit.

No filming or photos are allowed in Immigration offices or any other government building without consent.

I was in the immigration office a few days ago . There was a woman on the end of the row of seats, then a back pack , then an empty seat. I presumed the bag belonged to her and didn't think anything of it. She got up to collect her papers etc and took with her another bag from under her chair and left.

I looked around to see if anyone else had their eye on the bag but no one seemed to be watching it.

I got up and went to the two foreign volunteers to inform them that there was an empty back pack that had been without an owner for at least 30 minutes (the time I'd arrived) .

Instead of the woman saying " oh, thank you for telling us, I'll get someone to check it out" she looked at me and said "so, what do you want me to do about it"? They couldn't have cared less.

Wouldn't you think with all that's going on in the world that in an office full of foreigners from all over the world they'd have had some cause for concern?

I would have thought that government buildings like these are exactly the places where cameras should be!

In my opinion it's just a matter of time before they will have to, then we'll see if this corruption still occurs.

They weren't interested in anything to do with work permits at the driving license office in Phuket when I got mine, just a certificate of residence from immigration.

Or did you mean you need a COR to obtain a yellow housebook or workpermit ( sorry if i misunderstood) blink.png

certificate of residence from all Immigration in Thailand It`s FREE, Something you do not understand ?

They weren't interested in anything to do with work permits at the driving license office in Phuket when I got mine, just a certificate of residence from immigration.

Or did you mean you need a COR to obtain a yellow housebook or workpermit ( sorry if i misunderstood) blink.png

You ned certificate of residence from Immigration.