Niman to be one way from Dec 1st

LivinLOS

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My initial thought was clusterf**k. The traffic volume in the connecting sois will be horrendous. Glad I don't live in the area and only go up there on occasion to Aden's Health Food. If traffic becomes the hassle I expect it to become, I'll find somewhere else to shop. I can get most of want I need at Rimping and Kasens Market. That's going to be an absolute mess. Have fun for the folks living up there.

Edited by connda

A) What happens to the traffic when it reaches Wing 41, I wonder? Unless they are going to streamline the entry process in some way there will be a bottleneck right there. I did hope that they were planning to somehow get the route to extend over to Canal Road which would make some sense but even if they succeed in getting more cars through W41 the extra burden will make the Airport Plaza junction worse than now. At least Hang Dong bound vehicles can use the (now one way) road in front of the airport that comes out opposite Tesco.

My guess is that at least half the cars coming from Suthep to Huay Kaew road via Nimmenhamen go onto the Superhighway. The stretch between Sirimankalajarn Road and Maya is full of queuing cars at almost all times of the day so adding the ones that used to use Nimmen is bound to make things worse.

It's a tough problem with no easy solutions but it would be nice to think that someone might one day connect the concepts of city planning and traffic management when allotting development approval.

No, you're right. some hope.

Easy solution: Elevated roadway to complete the ring loop. Chances of happening? Zero.

Are we sure that this isnt another practical joke. Example. Ambulance with "customer" finds itself on Huay Kaew Road near Kad Suan Kaew. It is heading to the hospitals on Suthep Road. As of now, it turns left at Sirimankalajarn Road and speeds to the hospitals.....but in future it will join the gridlock going towards Maya intersection, then turn left down Nimman, then turn left onto Suthep Road......yeah, right, thats going to work I dont think.....and in the meantime the extra 20 minutes could be crucial for the ambulance "customer"

Do you have to be a congenital idiot to be the head of traffic regulation in Chiang Mai !!!!!?????

I don't think any job that includes the word 'plan' is something that most Thais can handle. That requires forward thinking and critical thinking skill which, from my experience, tend to be lacking in many sectors of Thai society.

given how bad the traffic is around the moat with the awful U-Turn system, I can't imagine this being a good system. The Niman light can easily run 15 minutes (literally) if you catch it during prime time, and the traffic is stop and go from as early as noon in high season on Huay Kaew and Suthep.

The Niman light is a piece of cake on a motorcycle. Bypass the whole line of cars in the oncoming lane like all good Thai motorcycle drivers do and Bob's Your Uncle. You're though it in one cycle. Driving CM in a car is an exercise in futility. I use it to come into town and to leave town, or if it's raining and I really need to go somewhere. Other than that, Honda Dream is your friend. The car collects dust until we head back to the Moobaan. And when I'm in the Chang Kong district where we have our apartment, I'm pretty happy to just walk. I like the district and the back sois in that area. I know a lot of the locals. I like it.

Edited by connda

A) What happens to the traffic when it reaches Wing 41, I wonder? Unless they are going to streamline the entry process in some way there will be a bottleneck right there. I did hope that they were planning to somehow get the route to extend over to Canal Road which would make some sense but even if they succeed in getting more cars through W41 the extra burden will make the Airport Plaza junction worse than now. At least Hang Dong bound vehicles can use the (now one way) road in front of the airport that comes out opposite Tesco.

My guess is that at least half the cars coming from Suthep to Huay Kaew road via Nimmenhamen go onto the Superhighway. The stretch between Sirimankalajarn Road and Maya is full of queuing cars at almost all times of the day so adding the ones that used to use Nimmen is bound to make things worse.

It's a tough problem with no easy solutions but it would be nice to think that someone might one day connect the concepts of city planning and traffic management when allotting development approval.

Easy solution: Elevated roadway to complete the ring loop. Chances of happening? Zero.

Could be possible to seal the canal of canal Rd and have the land needed for a ring rd option..

Not cheap but does solve a lack of land crisis.

given how bad the traffic is around the moat with the awful U-Turn system, I can't imagine this being a good system. The Niman light can easily run 15 minutes (literally) if you catch it during prime time, and the traffic is stop and go from as early as noon in high season on Huay Kaew and Suthep.

The Niman light is a piece of cake on a motorcycle. Bypass the whole line of cars in the oncoming lane like all good Thai motorcycle drivers do and Bob's Your Uncle. You're though it in one cycle. Driving CM in a car is an exercise in futility. I use it to come into town and to leave town, or if it's raining and I really need to go somewhere. Other than that, Honda Dream is your friend. The car collects dust until we head back to the Moobaan. And when I'm in the Chang Kong district where we have our apartment, I'm pretty happy to just walk. I like the district and the back sois in that area. I know a lot of the locals. I like it.

One cycle, yes, but a cycle is up to 15 minutes. It may be worthwhile to turn left, U-Turn, and turn left again instead of waiting to go straight, but the traffic is often gridlocked even for bikes in areas.

Problem #1 is song taews. Too too many of the damn things in the city. They stop in the middle of the road, no common sense to even pull over. They should be for outside the ring roads.
Problem #2 is vehicles parking in a lane of traffic. Can't explain this to thais, but most people from civilized society understand its a no no to park in a lane of traffic.

Problem #3 giant buses should not be allowed inside the ring roads.
Problem #4 vehicles NOT staying in their lane... these people love to drive in half the other lane. This impedes the flow of traffic and actually congests the motorcycles and then it turns into a Cluster F'k.
Problem #4 ENFORCEMENT... there is very little enforcement.

Problem #5 NO public transportation system. NO, song taws are not part of that. This city needs designated buses on designated routes with designated stops and standard fares.

The Flintstones do not have this problem solving skill and ability to implement and SO, it will continue to get worse as more and more people flock to this place...

I do not see the attraction to Nimmen area, its' over priced and currently unappealing. If thai people were smart, they will develop other niche areas in and around the city. Nimmen should be a walking/motorcycle only area with mini buses servicing it.

The Super Highway takes a lot of traffic and dumps it into a narrow congested area... the back up occurs before Jed Yod.

The moat roads are a complete Cluster F... again, buses.

Between the traffic and immigration, questioning why stay in this city. It's no longer that appealing.

given how bad the traffic is around the moat with the awful U-Turn system, I can't imagine this being a good system.

You should have seen it before it was one-way around the moat. Even then it was terrible, and making it one way was a huge improvement. Now there's just a whole lot of traffic in rush hour, but fortunately most development is not in that area, and many places that used to be downtown are moving out too; all good things.

Nimman though... people and businesses keep moving TOWARD it. The opposite of what should be happening if anyone cared about the area.

Thank Christ I moved to Niman so I don't have to drive every day.

So Niman area takes care of all your needs in Chiang Mai?

I've lived here four years and have been there only about two or three times. No wonder my life is a total, unmitigated train wreck!

Unless you want to be around Chinese Tourists (CT), HiSo Thais or Farang Tourists, I don't think you're miss much.
It's an over priced area of town IMO. On the East end of Nimmen there are a boat load of niche foodie establishments and bars... also smaller places to stay.
It's <deleted> crowded and no parking.
I really really NEED to get away from this area. It's not at all a cool place to live. Further down Canal Road in either direction is where I'm headed.

I've lived here four years and have been there only about two or three times. No wonder my life is a total, unmitigated train wreck!

Does anyone KNOW what is happening at the Suthep end of Nimmenhamain ?

Not quite opposite a New two lane road is under construction but where will this road go ?

Down through Wing 41 on the existing Air Force road, or as a friend suggested today to me turning sharp left and going around Air Force base then across the Golf course and joining up Mahidol Rd near the flyover.

Anyone KNOW ?

john

Yes. My office is here, so that covers most of my needs. I enjoy my peaceful walk to work watching the sunlight filter through the trees and listening to the birdsong.

Are we sure that this isnt another practical joke. Example. Ambulance with "customer" finds itself on Huay Kaew Road near Kad Suan Kaew. It is heading to the hospitals on Suthep Road. As of now, it turns left at Sirimankalajarn Road and speeds to the hospitals.....but in future it will join the gridlock going towards Maya intersection, then turn left down Nimman, then turn left onto Suthep Road......yeah, right, thats going to work I dont think.....and in the meantime the extra 20 minutes could be crucial for the ambulance "customer"

Do you have to be a congenital idiot to be the head of traffic regulation in Chiang Mai !!!!!?????

I don't think any job that includes the word 'plan' is something that most Thais can handle. That requires forward thinking and critical thinking skill which, from my experience, tend to be lacking in many sectors of Thai society.

I am surprised that the moderators have not found your post inflammatory! ...an odd ball of wax this forum moderator stuff

Elevated roadways are very unpleasant to live under. They're an urban blight.

Maybe the suggestion made regarding elevated highways might be one answer.

There's some huge construction work going on in BKK, extending these elevated highways, and no doubt there'd be a toll which many would be happy to pay.

However, I can't imagine large sums of money being made available for such works. Chiang Mai seems to be a bit of a Cinderella city, when it comes to capital works. The traffic problem will certainly become much worse in no time at all, and planning NOW and action SOON is necessary.

Well someone is going to have to get their finger out. As a business owner on the alleged affected new one way system, still no one has been notified, no one knows anything about this.

or will they just all arrive with red barriers/no entry signs at midnight and watch the fun the next morning.

At least when they did the Soi one way systems 2yr ago there were banner boards up on every soi entry/exit for a good 6 weeks before the planned move,

Its looking like a red herring to me; and another story just for the sake of making a story.

Well someone is going to have to get their finger out. As a business owner on the alleged affected new one way system, still no one has been notified, no one knows anything about this.

or will they just all arrive with red barriers/no entry signs at midnight and watch the fun the next morning.

At least when they did the Soi one way systems 2yr ago there were banner boards up on every soi entry/exit for a good 6 weeks before the planned move,

Its looking like a red herring to me; and another story just for the sake of making a story.

This has struck me as odd as well- there are no signs I've seen, or anything resembling an advance warning. The dedicated left turn lane from Suthep Road onto Nimman will have to be blocked off, the 'no right turn' signs on the even-numbered sois will have to be removed, etc- I can't see it happening within the next week.

• 2 weeks later...

Breaking News: These plans, as people already suspected, are on hold for the moment. Nimman will remain two-way.

Of course. They're going to leave it until Dec 29th when the place is packed to the gills with visitors from Bangkok and elsewhere.

Gotta maximise the chaos you know....

biggrin.png