I am the ultimate Cheap Charlie

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Funny how the op came here with an obnoxious and arrogant post braggging about being a deadbeat and a parasite,( not to mention going behind his girlfriends back and letting everyone here know how he's getting over on her and her family.Which is slimy and low in itself.) Then wound up having to go on the defensive by pleading his ''case''.. The troll went from ''Joe Cool'' to ''Joe Cave in'' within 3 pages.

I don't really get while frugality attracts such a hostile reaction here. I wouldn't want to live like that myself, but I don't have a problem with those who do.

Being frugal is ok,but boasting about it and baiting others to better him is not cool.

Why not?

The worst part of the OP's post is how proud he is that he is beating the system and not contributing to the Thai economy.

Well, he said he gave around 10% of his income to the Thai economy- so it depends on how much he earns- but more importantly.. when did it become bad to beat the system..? Isn't that a good thing?

Bit one-sided so far. I'm hoping we get some challengers for the title.

Where's Canary Sun??

Probably on a train somewhere.

But that would cost money, wait a minute, you mean in the boxcar?

I love the sound of a whistle, it always takes me where I want to go.

I love the sound of a whistle, it picks me up when I am feeling low. clap2.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Bet you don't know the name of that song SB. it was probably before your time.

Edited by possum1931

Bit one-sided so far. I'm hoping we get some challengers for the title.

Where's Canary Sun??

Probably on a train somewhere.

But that would cost money, wait a minute, you mean in the boxcar?

I love the sound of a whistle, it always takes me where I want to go.

I love the sound of a whistle, it picks me up when I am feeling low.

Bet you don't know the name of that song SB. it was probably before your time.

No idea. Sounds like it could have been written by one of the security guards outside the buildings round here, though.

I don't really get while frugality attracts such a hostile reaction here. I wouldn't want to live like that myself, but I don't have a problem with those who do.

Being frugal is ok,but boasting about it and baiting others to better him is not cool.

...but this isn't about being frugal, it's about being parasitic!

If it was a woman living in her boyfriend's house, would anyone think it such a big deal?

Would she be a Cheap Charlotte?

I think you mean a Cheap Charlene.

Your point is spot on. But why even mention it. Isn't it a none issue. I bet there are a hell of a lot, just not the majority, of foreign men living in their girlfriends'/wives' houses free of charge. So what?

I'm sitting in my wifes house free of charge, but I bought it.

...but this isn't about being frugal, it's about being parasitic!

As much as I dislike the way the OP was written, I cannot see how he is being parasitic. His girlfriend offered the roof over his head. She wanted him to move in. He offered to pay for electricity, but she did not want it. The money being put up for sinsot is for show and will be returned to the people who put it up (he is not getting any share of it). How is that parasitic?

Having said that, I see nothing to boast about so do not understand the purpose of the OP, unless it was to get under the skin of many of the other tv members. Are his circumstances anything to be proud of? No. But they are not anything to be ashamed of either.

I don't thinks it's the frugality rubbing people the wrong way,

just the sponging off girlfriend and family.

I don't really care what he does.

I don't get that either. If a woman lives off a man, he's supporting her - but if a man lives off a woman, he's sponging off her?

Just my perspective.

I wouldn't expect a girlfriend of mine to quit work when she moved in.

I would have her contribute to the household financially.

I would consider her a sponge as well., but that's just me.

If it was a woman living in her boyfriend's house, would anyone think it such a big deal?

Would she be a Cheap Charlotte?

I think you mean a Cheap Charlene.

Your point is spot on. But why even mention it. Isn't it a none issue. I bet there are a hell of a lot, just not the majority, of foreign men living in their girlfriends'/wives' houses free of charge. So what?

I'm sitting in my wifes house free of charge, but I bought it.
In that sense I live in my son's house free of charge but I bought it. Oh, I pay for electricity, phone, water, cable tv, internet, trash removal. Shit, it's not free after all.

I don't thinks it's the frugality rubbing people the wrong way,

just the sponging off girlfriend and family.

I don't really care what he does.

I don't get that either. If a woman lives off a man, he's supporting her - but if a man lives off a woman, he's sponging off her?
Just my perspective.

I wouldn't expect a girlfriend of mine to quit work when she moved in.

I would have her contribute to the household financially.

I would consider her a sponge as well., but that's just me.

Different subject but one of interest to me. If you were working or drawing a decent pension and your girlfriend was working 48 hour weeks for 9,000 Baht a month, wouldn't you consider having her quit work? It would take me less than 12 hours to earn what is taking her 192 hours or more a month. Where is your compassion? Not all Thai girlfriends are earning top end salaries. Many work exceedingly hard for a pittance.

I was in that situation many years back Garry. In all honesty it was nice that my girl was working 8 hours a day (as a hotel receptionist). It meant that I had 8 hours a day to do my own thing. I have a Swedish friend who is in exactly the same situation, and he concurs (he also gives his girl 10,000 Baht a month).