Would you still come to Thailand to Live Today?

NoshowJones

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I would...No longer under fifty → but life is for Living.....

I like it here....

Me too. I sure would come here again. I love it here. The sense of freedom, the not too hung up on rules and regulations, the carefree attitude of it's people and their ability to "live in the now". More and more I am coming around to their way of thinking about "outside issues", do I really need to know the result of every election going on all around the world and issues that have nothing what-so-ever to do with me or will never affect my life.

Two last major points why I would choose to come here, I live a relatively good life here and a very comfortable one. At home on the same money I would be living in a run down bedsit (if the Government hadn't outlawed them) and have zilch quality of life....but that would even be tolerable if it wasn't such a wet and cold climate. Which brings me to my second main reason....the beautiful beautiful sunshine.....and it makes me fell much younger too. The list is endless...

Edited by dotpoom

You have a point, but there should be some sort of visa to allow the under fifties to retire here provided they are
contributing to the economy.

The elite visa is only for the rich who can afford to lose 500.000 Baht every five years, not fair I would say.

What sort of visa is there for the under fifties to retire here, that is nothing to do with tourism, and they don' want to get married.

Thailand needs to have a big rethink about this.
Why do they need to do anything? People who have a legit job can get a work permit and visa. Tourists can get a visa waiver. Longer term tourists can get a METV.probably a reason for that staring one in the face.
If there is no visa type that suits someone's needs there is
OB
Longer term tourists can get a METV. It is totally unreasonable to expect the average person to pay out the equivilant of 100.000 Bt per year with nothing in return.
What is OB?

Don't they get a visa? What are the monetary requirements for somewhere like Australia? Much much more. 100k is actually pretty cheap for residency.

OB

Your'e last sentence. I don't agree.

Approx $6.8K for marriage visa. $3.8K temporary work visa.
So marriage visa 176800฿ for 2 years. Work visa 98800฿ for 2 years also. Almost in line with Thailand. I think it's great value. Edited by CharlieH

You have a point, but there should be some sort of visa to allow the under fifties to retire here provided they are

The elite visa is only for the rich who can afford to lose 500.000 Baht every five years, not fair I would say.

What sort of visa is there for the under fifties to retire here, that is nothing to do with tourism, and they don' want to get married.

Why do they need to do anything? People who have a legit job can get a work permit and visa. Tourists can get a visa waiver. Longer term tourists can get a METV.probably a reason for that staring one in the face.

OB

Longer term tourists can get a METV. It is totally unreasonable to expect the average person to pay out the equivilant of 100.000 Bt per year with nothing in return.

What is OB?

Don't they get a visa? What are the monetary requirements for somewhere like Australia? Much much more. 100k is actually pretty cheap for residency.

OB

So marriage visa 176800฿ for 2 years. Work visa 98800฿ for 2 years also. Almost in line with Thailand. I think it's great value.

Nope, in the bigger picture actually much cheaper in Oz as marriage visa leads to PR and eventually to citizenship for minimal cost. Also includes access to Medicare and permission to work from day one.

I'm 38. I have all the plans in place to relocate to Thailand by the time I'm 40. Thai language school for first 2-3 years then Elite Visa from there on.

I know Thailand has many things not exactly right with it, as I'm reminded constantly on this forum, but the good far outweighs the bad. And as I don't have any solutions or the want to change anything I'm more than happy to just enjoy the country for what it is.

OB

What is OB?

OB

So marriage visa 176800฿ for 2 years. Work visa 98800฿ for 2 years also. Almost in line with Thailand. I think it's great value.

and what about all that unneccessary hoop jumping you have to go through?

I think the only thing that keeps people here to be brutally honest is the weather and the low cost of living.

Then you'd be wrong. That might be all you can find to like about the place, but you don't speak for the rest of us.

Thai weather is the only thing i really hate! bah.gif

Yeah I guess Simple1. Marriage has to hold together that long first though!! lol. I won't argue with your logic though.

Married 19 years with Thai woman, 15 years in Oz during which she has worked full time. Getting back to the topic although we have a house in Thailand, doubtful we will return full time to Thailand to live as I've a major medical problem that requires ongoing treatment.

I think the only thing that keeps people here to be brutally honest is the weather and the low cost of living.

Then you'd be wrong. That might be all you can find to like about the place, but you don't speak for the rest of us.

Thai weather is the only thing i really hate! :bah:

Brutally honest? It sounds a bit narrow minded man.

Weather, great bars, food, freedom (no nanny states here), beautiful beaches, cheap utilities, cheap rent, some super fun markets/festivals, perfect location to travel the world..... the list goes on....

Yeah I guess Simple1. Marriage has to hold together that long first though!! lol. I won't argue with your logic though.

Married 19 years with Thai woman, 15 years in Oz during which she has worked full time. Getting back to the topic although we have a house in Thailand, doubtful we will return full time to Thailand to live as I've a major medical problem that requires ongoing treatment.

Congrats on the awesome marriage, really stoked to hear that. Good,luck with the medical issues mate. I totally understand that journey.

The junta attitude is that those who are here permanently are valueless.

My take is it's worse. They're starting to see us as threats. This will inevitably be shown in tightening immigration rules, as has already been happening. If it's to become an outright purge .. I don't know. What happened in Burma in the 60's?

yeah right! think also of Uganda 1972 and get ready to change your underwear because the outright purge is inevitably around next corner coffee1.gif

For a start the thais do not want you here but if you leave can you please leave your atm card at the gate,they are so thick you think about they do not want you here but you probaly spend more in a month in thailand

than thai do,yet the immigration are so far up there <deleted> they cannot see that,we are good for every thing here,we buy cars we buy motor bikes all with vat,you would think they would open there arms to us but sadly they really do not want you here.

has anybody ever told you that "they do not want you here"? coffee1.gif

For a start the thais do not want you here but if you leave can you please leave your atm card at the gate,they are so thick you think about they do not want you here but you probaly spend more in a month in thailand

than thai do,yet the immigration are so far up there <deleted> they cannot see that,we are good for every thing here,we buy cars we buy motor bikes all with vat,you would think they would open there arms to us but sadly they really do not want you here.

has anybody ever told you that "they do not want you here"? :coffee1:

Last time I took a tuk tuk ride just for the hell of it the driver was super chatty. He said 'I love foreigners, no foreigners I have no job I have no money. You make my life much better'.

Now I don't take that as not wanting us/me there. And before you go on with the ATM card thing, he was providing a service which I paid for. He didn't try and rob me, rip me off or be rude.

Some of you don't like it here. I get that. Some of you have strong opinions about what you feel is wrong with the place. I respect that.

But please, don't make out that people who don't agree with you are naive or misguided or stupid. We're all entitled to our own opinions.

Ultimate pot calling the kettle black. Nearly every post to your credit consists of some kind of denial or put-down of another's opinion.

Why the need to ram your self-satisfaction down everyone else's throat? Why not just go out and live out this intense enjoyment you claim?

Anyway, get back to us when you've been there a while...

Thai weather is the only thing i really hate! bah.gif

My opinion of it changes in direct proportion to how active I need to be. For just chilling out, it's great. If you actually have to exert yourself in some way, it's not so good.

I wouldn't let it put me off moving here, though.

Not true!!!

It is problem in you ,not in Thai people.

Somebody can not socialize here and therefore ,the best option is to leave country!!

I traveled all over the world and I could not find better place to settle down.

Not just temples and hookers,many great things you can find here for very competitive price!!!

Sometimes I got shamed about bad manners some foreigners here.

If you can not accept their culture and people,just leave it and go!!!Very easy!!!

I'm 38. I have all the plans in place to relocate to Thailand by the time I'm 40. Thai language school for first 2-3 years then Elite Visa from there on.

I know Thailand has many things not exactly right with it, as I'm reminded constantly on this forum, but the good far outweighs the bad. And as I don't have any solutions or the want to change anything I'm more than happy to just enjoy the country for what it is.

When I was in your position, I stopped reading this forum for a while, because the constant negativity about the place I was planning to move to was getting to me.

Once I'd been here a while, though, I began to realise how my reality was different to theirs, and learned to take it all with a hefty pinch of salt.

You sound like you'll get along just fine.

retirement visa is only 800000 baht its about 20000 euros or 23000 dollars for now , l really dont understand how poeple cant have that s money after there 50 years , l m not complain , but if u work in europe or some rich country , isnt a big ammount l mean until u have ur 50 years u can save it

or just go bank in ur country and make credit so u have ur 800000 baht and pay back

You do understand that not everyone is old, and the OP clearly was addressing the issue of 'under 50s' not having the easy options of the past to get established.

Took me 5 years working to retire.. Why on earth would I need to wait till 50 ??

I'd be in South America or the Philippines.

Maybe France or Spain.

Anywhere with good cycling weather would do.

Thailand has nothing special ...... temples and hookers.

One you've done a dozen, you've done them all.

If the sum of your Thailand experiences consists of temples and hookers, I really feel sorry for you.

Not the sum, just the high points.

At least you are cycling and getting exercise, unlike the barstool brigade.

I like riding a bike here too, only problem is its too damn hot. I am not a "morning" person, so cant go early, during the day is just too hot, and early evening gets dark too quick and wont ride around here in the dark as its asking to get killed. So I am restricted to an hour or so late afternoon.

Only problem with running, and first thing, is it makes good sense to warm up correctly first, too much exertion too quickly could be problematic. Then warming up etc just adds more work smile.png and its hard on the knee and ankle joints depending on the surface.

Things I like about Thailand. My buddy lives there, my dentist is there, he's a good dude so I don't change dentists. I spent 5 yrs visiting Thailand and it just got worse every time. Traffic police checkpoints, rude unhelpful shop girls, little English spoken and very few smiles. I went to the Philippines once and never looked back. Every shop and restaurant you go into a person, 99% of the time younger fake says to you in perfect English. Welcome sir, can I help you sir? I'm talking 99.9% of the time. When I go to most Thai shops all I see is a girl in a chair staring at her smart phone then either unwilling or unable to help you due to poor people skills or poor English skills. I suspect many farangs who are enamored with Thailand have never set foot in the Philippines. Okay let the flaming begin wink.png

Your post makes a lot of sense, but you cannot complain about Thais English skills, this is their country.