Would you still come to Thailand to Live Today?

NoshowJones

I'm not a morning person either, but I've ended up forcing myself to become an early riser. I run regularly, and I think doing it any time other than first thing might kill me!

Maybe you should change your username to Soi Runner, and watch these dogs.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm 38. I have all the plans in place to relocate to Thailand by the time I'm 40. Thai language school for first 2-3 years then Elite Visa from there on.

I know Thailand has many things not exactly right with it, as I'm reminded constantly on this forum, but the good far outweighs the bad. And as I don't have any solutions or the want to change anything I'm more than happy to just enjoy the country for what it is.

When I was in your position, I stopped reading this forum for a while, because the constant negativity about the place I was planning to move to was getting to me.

Once I'd been here a while, though, I began to realise how my reality was different to theirs, and learned to take it all with a hefty pinch of salt.

You sound like you'll get along just fine.

I do cut my usage of this forum quite regularly due to that exact issue. One thing I have noticed is that you most definitely can't take a lot of what you read here seriously or personally.

Things I like about Thailand. My buddy lives there, my dentist is there, he's a good dude so I don't change dentists. I spent 5 yrs visiting Thailand and it just got worse every time. Traffic police checkpoints, rude unhelpful shop girls, little English spoken and very few smiles. I went to the Philippines once and never looked back. Every shop and restaurant you go into a person, 99% of the time younger fake says to you in perfect English. Welcome sir, can I help you sir? I'm talking 99.9% of the time. When I go to most Thai shops all I see is a girl in a chair staring at her smart phone then either unwilling or unable to help you due to poor people skills or poor English skills. I suspect many farangs who are enamored with Thailand have never set foot in the Philippines. Okay let the flaming begin ;)

Your post makes a lot of sense, but you cannot complain about Thais English skills, this is their country.

I'm dating a Filipina and have visited the Philippines I still much prefer Thailand. I just don't expect people to fall at my feet when I enter a store.

While this is great when it happen in Phils I just accept Thais for what they are. It doesn't detract from my experience in the slightest. That, and I can communicate in basic Thai.

I'm not a morning person either, but I've ended up forcing myself to become an early riser. I run regularly, and I think doing it any time other than first thing might kill me!

Maybe you should change your username to Soi Runner, and watch these dogs.

I'd hate to lose all the goodwill associated with this name I've built up through interaction with our friendly fellow members!

Things I like about Thailand. My buddy lives there, my dentist is there, he's a good dude so I don't change dentists. I spent 5 yrs visiting Thailand and it just got worse every time. Traffic police checkpoints, rude unhelpful shop girls, little English spoken and very few smiles. I went to the Philippines once and never looked back. Every shop and restaurant you go into a person, 99% of the time younger fake says to you in perfect English. Welcome sir, can I help you sir? I'm talking 99.9% of the time. When I go to most Thai shops all I see is a girl in a chair staring at her smart phone then either unwilling or unable to help you due to poor people skills or poor English skills. I suspect many farangs who are enamored with Thailand have never set foot in the Philippines. Okay let the flaming begin wink.png

Your post makes a lot of sense, but you cannot complain about Thais English skills, this is their country.

When everyone who finishes High School receives a diploma stating they 'passed' the English proficiency course, you would except most of these would, at least, have some grasp of the English language ?

I like riding a bike here too, only problem is its too damn hot. I am not a "morning" person, so cant go early, during the day is just too hot, and early evening gets dark too quick and wont ride around here in the dark as its asking to get killed. So I am restricted to an hour or so late afternoon.

I ride midday because there is no traffic and I am not a morning person. I am happy if I can get out by 10 o’clock. I also refuse to ride after dark. I do have the advantage of living in a great riding area in the countryside of Chiang Rai. I am okay as long as it doesn’t get over 35 degrees. High 30s is really difficult.

Edited by villagefarang

Things I like about Thailand. My buddy lives there, my dentist is there, he's a good dude so I don't change dentists. I spent 5 yrs visiting Thailand and it just got worse every time. Traffic police checkpoints, rude unhelpful shop girls, little English spoken and very few smiles. I went to the Philippines once and never looked back. Every shop and restaurant you go into a person, 99% of the time younger fake says to you in perfect English. Welcome sir, can I help you sir? I'm talking 99.9% of the time. When I go to most Thai shops all I see is a girl in a chair staring at her smart phone then either unwilling or unable to help you due to poor people skills or poor English skills. I suspect many farangs who are enamored with Thailand have never set foot in the Philippines. Okay let the flaming begin wink.png

When everyone who finishes High School receives a diploma stating they 'passed' the English proficiency course, you would except most of these would, at least, have some grasp of the English language ?
I passed German & Indonesian in high school and to this day I can't remember more than hello in both languages so I think your point is harsh and irrelevant Edited by MadMuhummad

I thought Thai teachers were not allowed to fail students, that would explain the poor English.

I like riding a bike here too, only problem is its too damn hot. I am not a "morning" person, so cant go early, during the day is just too hot, and early evening gets dark too quick and wont ride around here in the dark as its asking to get killed. So I am restricted to an hour or so late afternoon.

I ride midday because there is no traffic and I am not a morning person. I am happy if I can get out by 10 oclock. I also refuse to ride after dark. I do have the advantage of living in a great riding area in the countryside of Chiang Rai. I am okay as long as it doesnt get over 35 degrees. High 30s is really difficult.

Dawn is the very best time for cycling up to Doi Suthep.

200 of us every day can't be wrong!

But I agree, getting up at 5:30 isn't easy.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

The PI, you are welcome to it, an absolute dump, I will NEVER set foot in the place again.

I must congratulate you, I think you are the first person I have met or read who has said anything good about the place.

Even the Pinoy wives I know refuse to go back for fear of their children being kidnapped, every man and his dog wants out the place, and wants you to bring their family with them.

I'm 38. I have all the plans in place to relocate to Thailand by the time I'm 40. Thai language school for first 2-3 years then Elite Visa from there on.

I know Thailand has many things not exactly right with it, as I'm reminded constantly on this forum, but the good far outweighs the bad. And as I don't have any solutions or the want to change anything I'm more than happy to just enjoy the country for what it is.

Have you ever been here ?

I passed German & Indonesian in high school and to this day I can't remember more than hello in both languages so I think your point is harsh and irrelevant

You probably left school a long long time ago.

Ah yeah, 3-4 times yearly for anywhere up to a month at a time since 2011.

How this that relevant to my happiness with the country? I've travelled extensively and I find Thailand to have all I need to lead a happy and content existence.

I passed German & Indonesian in high school and to this day I can't remember more than hello in both languages so I think your point is harsh and irrelevant

I guess. Just on 20 years but to be entirely honest I did what I had to do to gain 'proficiency' and pass so I could complete high school.

I would have the same vocabulary I do now.

How this that relevant to my happiness with the country? I've travelled extensively and I find Thailand to have all I need to lead a happy and content existence.

Big difference between being a tourist here and living here.

Live here for two years and your ideas will change.

Coming here every 3 months when you're desperate for a ...... paradise.

Once the novelty of 24/7 has worn off, it ain't such a great place.

I guess. Just on 20 years but to be entirely honest I did what I had to do to gain 'proficiency' and pass so I could complete high school.

I would have the same vocabulary I do now 6 months after I left school.

Mine didn't.

Once the novelty of 24/7 whoring has worn off, it ain't such a great place.

So say all the whore mongers. That's where you've made the mistake of pigeon holing me along with everyone else BS. All you bitter and twisted sad sacks say the same thing but, honestly, you'd feel the same anywhere you go.

Personally I'm sick of hearing it but hey, that's what TV is for is it not?

Opinion heard and disregarded but thanks, you're entitled to it

Oh, and I'm far than desperate for a shag. Let me guess, your old, over weight and have no personality (don't answer that, it already shows). Tool.

Edited by MadMuhummad

Had those languages offered an opportunity for better job prospects later in life, maybe you would have practiced them more, or even taken them to another level ?
Once Thais get their 'diploma', for quite a lot of them, that's as good as it gets.

Had those languages offered an opportunity for better job prospects later in life, maybe you would have practiced them more, or even taken them to another level ?
Once Thais get their 'diploma', for quite a lot of them, that's as good as it gets.

Ah yes, you're absolutely correct on this. My line of thinking disregarded that fact. I stand corrected.

Once the novelty of 24/7 whoring has worn off, it ain't such a great place.

So say all the whore mongers. That's where you've made the mistake of pigeon holing me along with everyone else BS. All you bitter and twisted sad sacks say the same thing but, honestly, you'd feel the same anywhere you go.

Personally I'm sick of hearing it but hey, that's what TV is for is it not?

Opinion heard and disregarded but thanks, you're entitled to it

Oh, and I'm far than desperate for a shag. Let me guess, your old, over weight and have no personality (don't answer that, it already shows). Tool.

I came for work. He is right. Huge difference. Doesn't mean you won't enjoy it.

I'm not ramming anything down anyone's throat. Just expressing my opinion, like everyone else on the forum.

Clearly my opinion differs from yours. That's ok. We're both allowed one.

Again, you try and belittle me because of this. Why?

Don't see any belittling going on.

I gave you my opinion and you told me i was wrong.

Anyway, there are better places to live in the world that have great weather, a low cost of living and none of the cultural BS, corruption and bureaucracy. But if you like it here and you have found your nirvana well go and fill yer boots.

I dont hate it here, there are also worse places but i dont expect i will be here forever.

I'm not ramming anything down anyone's throat. Just expressing my opinion, like everyone else on the forum.

Clearly my opinion differs from yours. That's ok. We're both allowed one.

Again, you try and belittle me because of this. Why?

Don't see any belittling going on.

I gave you my opinion and you told me i was wrong.

Anyway, there are better places to live in the world that have great weather, a low cost of living and none of the cultural BS, corruption and bureaucracy. But if you like it here and you have found your nirvana well go and fill yer boots.

I dont hate it here, there are also worse places but i dont expect i will be here forever.

No offence intended. I don't plan to be here forever either. The world's too big for that. But for now, I'm enjoying it.

I think the only thing that keeps people here to be brutally honest is the weather and the low cost of living.

Then you'd be wrong. That might be all you can find to like about the place, but you don't speak for the rest of us.

Thai weather is the only thing i really hate! bah.gif

Brutally honest? It sounds a bit narrow minded man.

Weather, great bars, food, freedom (no nanny states here), beautiful beaches, cheap utilities, cheap rent, some super fun markets/festivals, perfect location to travel the world..... the list goes on....

why am I narrow minded? Because I dont agree with your assessment of this country?

All of the things you list are not unique to Thailand and there are plenty of downsides.

If you are happy here then good for you, for me I know there is better.