Head human trafficking investigator rumored to be fleeing Thailand

webfact

Head Human Trafficking Investigator Rumored to be Fleeing Country
Teeranai Charuvastra
Staff Reporter

14478259011447825927l.jpg
Police Maj. Gen. Paween Pongsiri, at center, at a Sept. 29 news conference in Songkhla province.

BANGKOK — The police officer in charge of investigating human trafficking has been allowed to quit the force out of fear for his life and is rumored to be preparing to flee the country with his family.

Maj. Gen. Paween Pongsiri sought to quit the force earlier this month rather than be transferred to the southern border provinces, the very region where he spent six months going after human traffickers. After the investigation was shelved, Paween was assigned to the region, at which point he went public with his fear of reprisal from henchmen working for those he’d arrested.

On Monday police chief Chakthip Chaijinda said he had accepted Paween’s resignation.

“I am not going to block his resignation,” Police Gen. Chakthip said. “I believe he has carefully made his decision.”

Trafficking Investigator Quits Case for Fear of Reprisal

A police phone number listed for Paween did not ring Tuesday and Wednesday.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1447825901

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-11-18

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It shows how seriously they are on "cracking down" on trafficking...

This guy was given the task to investigate it and when he found some success and arrested some people they threw him under the bus and he's lost his career and in fear of his life.... :(

Why doesn't the pm step in and transfer him to a nice safe desk job in bkk?

Seems like the top brass want this guy to be silenced and he knows that...

Something fishy going on here. Why in the world would the police transfer the very man who was investigating human traffickers in the southern border provinces. One has to wonder.

Does one have to wonder? IMO, he had been getting too close to the dark waters the BIG sharks roam in, risking to disturb the well oiled organisation of top-corruption, and probably, when he would have been let going on with the job he was doing 'too well', he would have exposed some top-brass, brown and green, and one of the ways they get wealthy with, to start with...

Why hasn't he benefitted from outspoken and extensive protection from the PM and the whole NCPO? One has to wonder... why an honest cop doing his job well would need to flee his home-country with his family?

Changes and reforms...?

Once safely out of the country he can freely express his opinions and knowledge to concerned parties as to what is really going on here re human trafficking. I'd say I would look forward to it but don't have a VPN ..

Sadly enough he'll probably be required to "get permission" to leave the country, which is a commie tactic.

I guess he didn't understand it was only suppose to be a Dog & Pony show !! but actually did a great job and stepped on some Big Toes and we just can't have that now can we !! Until the government (who ever is in charge) really wants to tackle human trafficking their going to have to be willing to step on some high influential peoples Toes, because their the ones with the money, power and connections to pull it off !! Until then it's just all a show to make them look like they actually want to do something about it. Another words it's LAUGHABLE to think their even trying to stop Human Trafficking !!!

He knows exactly who is running these human trafficking operations, just how far up it goes (which is way higher than anyone so far arrested), was allowed to arrest a few middlemen and lower-tier operatives/operations for show, and now he's been thrown under the bus with that attempted transfer.

If the PM had any balls, he'd make sure he was protected for doing his job rather than forced to resign, except ...

Not good news for Thailand when UNHRC is investigating the rights abuse in Thailand. Today they slammed Thailand for handing over Chinese fleeing from conflict. More to come.

'We do what we want, because...' 'The UN is not my father...'

I hope he reads this.

There are overseas organisations that would look after him if he had solid evidence to implicate some elites. If he can skip to Singapore, and make contact, he'd be OK.

All it really needs is evidence to get out of the country and a serious journalsit to publish it.

Thailand NEEDS a real global scandal to get the anti-corruption ball rolling.

That's assuming that he's not complicit and has stopped short of implicating himself.

I hope he reads this.

There are overseas organisations that would look after him if he had solid evidence to implicate some elites. If he can skip to Singapore, and make contact, he'd be OK.

All it really needs is evidence to get out of the country and a serious journalsit to publish it.

Thailand NEEDS a real global scandal to get the anti-corruption ball rolling.

That's assuming that he's not complicit and has stopped short of implicating himself.

I don't think it's possible to get to the rank of major general in the Thai police without ever touching any brown envelopes.... But I would agree with smedley... I think the ones he's scared of also Wear uniforms.... Probably with more patches and stripes than his own uniform so he knows the only neck on this chopping block is his own....

I'm sure that the DHS will have an nice home ready for him in North Hollywood as soon as he and his family arrives and he is prepared for extensive debriefing. Wonder how long afterwards that Thailand drops another few notches on the Global Human Trafficking index.

Now that the head of HTI has gone underground, I wonder what the fate will be of other HTI team undercover officers. Guess time will tell. I must be wonderful to know that your government has your back (or not).

Edited by connda