digging tools

slick1

g,day..im wondering if anyone knows if you can buy a mattock/grubber in thailand?

im from australia..in sth aust. its called a "grubber"..in eastern states they call it a "mattock"

i took the photo in harware shop..take no notice of the sign near the mattock..

thanks for any help..i tried digging trench at girlfrieds house with the tools they use on farm.

flat blade on a piece of bamboo, ok if you doing a bit of chipping but no good for trenching..end keeps falling off.post-239318-0-82083600-1447881828_thumb.

I see many mattocks here, actually a heavy hoe with a short handle, That is the most common digging tool, don't see many shovels or spaces. The local one is available in just about any hardware store, Home Pro tc. Usually they are without handles but the handle will be stacked nearby as a separate purchase.

G'day ya self.

Another Aussie here. I had the same problem. Tried Homepro & Global House without any luck. Eventually found one in the local mum & pop hardware shop. I had to locate it myself, they had no idea what I was raving on about. Like said above, you'll have to purchase a universal wooden handle seperate. I had to trim the handle down to fit.

Looks like your photo was taken at Bunnings.

Cheers..... Mal.

Its called a pick axe in W.A

the local thai hardware store will sell the axe section for about 150-250 baht the you have to get the handle for 100-200 Baht.

Its called" job" in Thai but that covers garden hoe, shovel any digging tool, so just ask for Job and they will show you all of the digging tools and then you can pick which one you need

Edited by Rocceao

If you want quality tools for your garden ou digging you cannot find in Thailand, even in a Homepro or Watsadu .

Here they don't know how to work like a blacksmith as we have in Europe ;

wrought iron tools are unknown in Thailand .

the pieces of metal are arc welded and the handle is as strong as a match in white wood.mad.gif .

after years of fruitless searching I bought a garden spade and spare handle from Bunnings on my recent trip back to oz, for a mattock they are in some shops if you look around, usually the small ones all beside each other selling basic garden tools etc. As stated previously you buy the head and the handle seperate, not really a good fit but there is no other choice here unless you bring one back with you next time

G'day ya self.

Another Aussie here. I had the same problem. Tried Homepro & Global House without any luck. Eventually found one in the local mum & pop hardware shop. I had to locate it myself, they had no idea what I was raving on about. Like said above, you'll have to purchase a universal wooden handle seperate. I had to trim the handle down to fit.

Looks like your photo was taken at Bunnings.

Cheers..... Mal.

yeah mate it was bunnings...took photos of post hole shovels,garden forks,different stuff that ive found hard to find in thailand...just off track a tad..but we,re going to lift girlfriends house up 2.0mt..maybe 2.4...any idea what i could use over there while jacking up? good size timber seems hard to find..thought of palletts but would need 60..its only a little kennel so not a big wieght prob..lives in Chaiyaphum...thx

after years of fruitless searching I bought a garden spade and spare handle from Bunnings on my recent trip back to oz, for a mattock they are in some shops if you look around, usually the small ones all beside each other selling basic garden tools etc. As stated previously you buy the head and the handle seperate, not really a good fit but there is no other choice here unless you bring one back with you next time

thanks mate...what process do you go through to bring in something larger than ya suitcase...do ya just wrap it to case with some 100mph tape?...ha another thing i not see/find is a crow bar....dont like using them..but...i went to build a carport ..used the little thai thing..piece of flat metal on bamboo pole to dig a hole app 600mm deep to concrete posts in...well some relative come said i do it all wrong..they filled hole up to about 8"deep put in concrete post and rammed a bit of dirt on top???

yep still learning...so sat on verandah drinking beer until finished..waiting for good wind to blow away..sry for the ramble..but yeah its hard to find some good tools you used to using..thx for your reply

I see many mattocks here, actually a heavy hoe with a short handle, That is the most common digging tool, don't see many shovels or spaces. The local one is available in just about any hardware store, Home Pro tc. Usually they are without handles but the handle will be stacked nearby as a separate purchase.

yeah seen lots of hoes..but they dont have the digging power like a mattock..they more for gardening..i know thais use them for same but the ol mattock gets the job done and quicker..thanks..

i brought our garden tools on a work trip back home, i just taped them together then checked them in, i had to take them to another desk but it wasnt a problem,

then at swampy i got my case then went accros the floor to the other side of the building to get my gear,

not problem going through customs, in fact they asked about them and i said i cant get good tools here in thailand and they just laughed

post-32351-0-36172000-1447930129_thumb.j

thanks mate...what process do you go through to bring in something larger than ya suitcase...do ya just wrap it to case with some 100mph tape?...ha another thing i not see/find is a crow bar....dont like using them..but...i went to build a carport ..used the little thai thing..piece of flat metal on bamboo pole to dig a hole app 600mm deep to concrete posts in...well some relative come said i do it all wrong..they filled hole up to about 8"deep put in concrete post and rammed a bit of dirt on top???

yep still learning...so sat on verandah drinking beer until finished..waiting for good wind to blow away..sry for the ramble..but yeah its hard to find some good tools you used to using..thx for your reply

mate, just removed the handle and put the spade in my suitcase then wrapped the two handles(bought a spare) together with a heavy brown paper and wrapped them with wide tape. The handles went in as oversize luggage but as the combined weight of bags and handles was within my allowed weight there was no extra charge. Picked them up and walked straight through the customs area without any hassles. I bought a heavy bar with a pointy and flat end at a local shop, works great and is very similar to a crow bar, most of the small mum and pop shops have a good range of tools etc and well priced but you may need a good size town/city to find them, I am in Surat Thani and we have heaps all beside each other so you can find most of what you need.

Edited by seajae

I see dozens of heavy duty digging, cutting and other metal tools in several kiosks in Khlong Tom market in Chinatown. Some of them look like they'll be around much longer than I will. They're that sturdy.

I know that's not helpful to someone in the sticks, but my point is that there are indigenous tools of excellent quality (though not finished very pretty) and at excellent prices. Don't give up and pay a mint for a poorly made import designed for grannies and hobbyists at a specialty store that caters to foreigners.

Scrounge around some of the local hardware stores that look like they're stacked 8 tall and 5 deep with stuff... Most of it can't be on display because of square footage limits, but I'm amazed at what they can dig out of those stacks of boxes.

Go to the nearest metal shop get them to weld on a metal handle onto the Thai head.

The head your'e looking for is available at Thai Watsadu

I would reconsider. The handles are wood to absorb the shock to your hands. If it's all steel and you hit a rock the vibrations over time can cause nerve damage.

Cheers.