Work Permit Cancelled....what Now?

I am English.

I have a single entry non immigrant B visa.

I also have a work permit.

If i were to leave my current job my employer will cancel my work permit.

Questions:

1) So am i correct in saying the work permit is for a specific employer?

2) If this is the case how can i work for someone temporarily when it takes so long to get work permit?

3) Most importantly: What now happens to my non immi B visa? This has an expiry date until June 07. Some people tell me i must go to immigration and tell them my work permit is cancelled and they will then give me 7 days to do a border run where i can get a 2 month tourist visa to allow me to search for employment.

However, someone else has told me no need to tell immigration. Just cancel work permit and then I am free in Thailand until June 07 as long as i do border runs every 3 months.

Please can someone clarify?

Thanks

1) So am i correct in saying the work permit is for a specific employer? YES

2) If this is the case how can i work for someone temporarily when it takes so long to get work permit? LIKE SO MANY, YOU WILL TEMPORARILY WORK ILLEGALLY BEFORE AND DURING THE PROCESSING PERIOD.

3) Most importantly: What now happens to my non immi B visa? This has an expiry date until June 07. Some people tell me i must go to immigration and tell them my work permit is cancelled and they will then give me 7 days to do a border run where i can get a 2 month tourist visa to allow me to search for employment.

PARTLY CORRECT. YOU DO GET 7 DAYS FROM WHEN THEY CANCEL IT BUT SOME PLACES WILL BE SLOW ABOUT CANCELLING THE WORK PERMIT. A BORDER RUN WILL ONLY GET YOU 30 DAYS. YOU HAVE TO GO TO AN EMBASSY TO GET A PROPER VISA.

However, someone else has told me no need to tell immigration. Just cancel work permit and then I am free in Thailand until June 07 as long as i do border runs every 3 months.

NO, THIS IS NOT THE CASE.

AND make sure you get a slip from your old workplace that shows they have cancelled the work permit or you will not be able to apply for a new work permit.

Edited by my benny rai

The below is based on you having had a single entry B visa which obviously was extended by immigration if allowed to stay in Thailand until June. If what you have is a multi entry visa issued by a Consulate and do 90 day border runs now that visa will remain valid and you can just continue.

1. Yes. Both employer and place.

2. Add to work permit.

3. You have 7 days to report to immigration after work permit returned and they will give you 7 days to leave the country. If you cross a border and return you only receive a 30 day entry and that can not be used (in normal times) to obtain employment so you would need to obtain a tourist visa from a Consulate and return using that for a 60 day stay and the ability to convert to a non immigrant visa after finding employment.

Your visa is cancelled 7 days after your work permit is cancelled. You have to leave the country and come back in on a tourist visa.

You should get a receipt called WP10 when your permit is cancelled. I am notsurebut you might need to keep this when your new company is applying for your now work permit.

If you find new work within 30 days of your work permit being cancelled i think they can just transfer your permit rather than applying for a new one.

This is just some info i was given when my owrk permit was cancelled a couple of months ago. I am sure Sunbelt would be able to give you more specific info.

Your visa is cancelled 7 days after your work permit is cancelled. You have to leave the country and come back in on a tourist visa.

You should get a receipt called WP10 when your permit is cancelled. I am notsurebut you might need to keep this when your new company is applying for your now work permit.

If you find new work within 30 days of your work permit being cancelled i think they can just transfer your permit rather than applying for a new one.

This is just some info i was given when my owrk permit was cancelled a couple of months ago. I am sure Sunbelt would be able to give you more specific info.

Thank you.

So from what i gather i should get a tourist visa and not a border run stamp. This therefore gives me more time to search for employment and it sounds like the process to non immi B from a tourist visa after i find employment is easier than from a border stamp.

1) So am i correct in saying the work permit is for a specific employer? YES

2) If this is the case how can i work for someone temporarily when it takes so long to get work permit? LIKE SO MANY, YOU WILL TEMPORARILY WORK ILLEGALLY BEFORE AND DURING THE PROCESSING PERIOD.

PARTLY CORRECT. YOU DO GET 7 DAYS FROM WHEN THEY CANCEL IT BUT SOME PLACES WILL BE SLOW ABOUT CANCELLING THE WORK PERMIT. A BORDER RUN WILL ONLY GET YOU 30 DAYS. YOU HAVE TO GO TO AN EMBASSY TO GET A PROPER VISA.

NO, THIS IS NOT THE CASE.

AND make sure you get a slip from your old workplace that shows they have cancelled the work permit or you will not be able to apply for a new work permit.

Thank you.

So from what i gather i should get a tourist visa and not a border run stamp. This therefore gives me more time to search for employment and it sounds like the process to non immi B from a tourist visa after i find employment is easier than from a border stamp.

Makes me wonder wether it is actually legal and within the letter and spirit of the immigration laws to apply for and enter Thailand with a tourist Visa in such a case as the applicant is actively on the look for a job in Thailand?

Sunny

Edited by Sunny Valentine

It's the only visa he is going to get without a job. He is a tourist until he finds a job and make a work permit application. Just as you come here as a tourist to get married.

Thanks for clarification! So all the so-called perpetual tourists here will have to say when asked why they stay in Thailand on Tourist Visas forever is "I am looking for a job!"

???

Sunny