Flat screen TV and computer screen dirty. Cleaning solutions

elgordo38

The g/f cleans the condo about once a week but I notice the TV screen and computer screen are still streaky and dusty. Any tips special solutions, special material applicators( that one can buy here) on how to solve this problem. Something that is maybe a Green application and does not damage the screen. When the curtains are open and the light hits the screen it shows up all the dust and streaks.

Thanks

Edited by elgordo38

use microfiber fleece, same as for reading glasses.

if your TV and computer are not just dusty but filthy, as if stained with projections of beverages or food, then use a moist microfiber fleece, don't rub hard or you risk scratching the surface.

Battery Acid, perhaps? ( I'm joking!!)

No, just use ordinary glass cleaner and old newspapers. This is from my grandma and she had a lot of other tricks.

Newspapers clean it perfectly.

Did she have a LCD TV? Just kidding (I love another jokester!! like you) I never knock what grandma said. Mine was a jewel and full of good ideas. She believed a little in some levels of the occult like applying certain medicines when the cock crows and she was a steady customer of the Watkins salesman. She even kept her strange treatments written down in a book which disappeared many moons ago. Goose grease mustard plasters and other smelly things that worked wonders. When she went to the chiropractor who gave her limited relief at age 85 she paid him in chickens and eggs and bounty from the garden. He offered to treat her for free but she was having none of that. God bless her.

Edited by elgordo38

Cheap: window cleaner and a kitchen roll towel.

Fancy: "screen cleaning liquid" and a microfiber fleece.

Result is the same.

No, just use ordinary glass cleaner and old newspapers. This is from my grandma and she had a lot of other tricks.

don't do that guys... I have been working with computers for over 30 years now and I can tell you paper can damage the screen, even kitchen roll, because it contains tiny wood fibers.

would also be careful with window cleaning liquid - some screens are coated with diverse coatings, some for glossyness others to avoid reflections. Window cleaning liquid containing alcohol or ammonia can damage this coating.

here is a good instruction for cleaning a screen:

http://www.howtogeek.com/170080/the-how-to-geek-guide-to-cleaning-your-lcd-monitor-screen/

Did she have a LCD TV? Just kidding (I love another jokester!! like you) I never knock what grandma said. Mine was a jewel and full of good ideas. She believed a little in some levels of the occult like applying certain medicines when the cock crows and she was a steady customer of the Watkins salesman. She even kept her strange treatments written down in a book which disappeared many moons ago. Goose grease mustard plasters and other smelly things that worked wonders. When she went to the chiropractor who gave her limited relief at age 85 she paid him in chickens and eggs and bounty from the garden. He offered to treat her for free but she was having none of that. God bless her.

Your post made me so laugh that I almost spit my beer on my screen.

I guess they're both now united in heaven and try their goodies with Jesus. God bless them..biggrin.png .

Edited by lostinisaan

The only way i can find never to leave streaks is to use one of those window squee- gees thingys but make sure it is soft. There are small ones around or else cut it to size . There are some silicon ones for car windscreens that seem to be very good. A bit of windex or plain old mentholated spirits will help .

Hold/guide her hand the first time she cleans the screen.

Edited by xen

Cheap: window cleaner and a kitchen roll towel.

Fancy: "screen cleaning liquid" and a microfiber fleece.

Result is the same.

don't do that guys... I have been working with computers for over 30 years now and I can tell you paper can damage the screen, even kitchen roll, because it contains tiny wood fibers.

would also be careful with window cleaning liquid - some screens are coated with diverse coatings, some for glossyness others to avoid reflections. Window cleaning liquid containing alcohol or ammonia can damage this coating.

here is a good instruction for cleaning a screen:

http://www.howtogeek.com/170080/the-how-to-geek-guide-to-cleaning-your-lcd-monitor-screen/

Thank you for your most helpful answer. It seems the best. Loved the Battery Acid and the Baboon urine. What is life without a bit of levity. Sometimes I to get carried away or get off topic to TRY and introduce some. Loosing ones sense of humor is like having one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel. I still find aging has a certain amount of crotchiness (my patented word) attached to it. Sometimes the battle between old (me) and new (my g/f) gets heated. My powers are sadly waning and hers are ascending. Hate to give up without a fight or gentle argument (try to keep it civil) Thanks one and all. Carry on caring one and all.

warm water with a mild soap and damp cloth, do not press hard - very gentle, if you press hard you will leave shadows (or ghosting) that you cannot get rid of, be very gentle

I just loved your answer. Almost reminds me of making love well the foreplay part. Your use of the word gentle a couple times shows your sensitive side.