Booze banned during Loy Krathong festival

Jonathan Fairfield

I really almost feel sorry for you drunken slobs out that just need another excuse to get drunk. You are drunk all the time and I have no desire to be near you. Cheap boze is the most important reason you even come to Thailand and think you know everything about Thailand, well you do NOT.

For cheap booze, Thailand is a bad place. Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam are much cheaper.

Of course people that drink booze don't always drink it with the intend to getting drunk. And people like you should stop telling other people what to do. If I like to consume booze, that is MY choice, none of your business any more than it is the government's.

Meanwhile if you don't mind, I would avoid you like the plague, nobody likes party poopers and wingers. Mind your own business.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really almost feel sorry for you drunken slobs out that just need another excuse to get drunk. You are drunk all the time and I have no desire to be near you. Cheap boze is the most important reason you even come to Thailand and think you know everything about Thailand, well you do NOT.

For cheap booze, Thailand is a bad place. Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam are much cheaper.

Of course people that drink booze don't always drink it with the intend to getting drunk. And people like you should stop telling other people what to do. If I like to consume booze, that is MY choice, none of your business any more than it is the government's.

Meanwhile if you don't mind, I would avoid you like the plague, nobody likes party poopers and wingers. Mind your own business.

It is the government's choice to ban it at certain days and or location. Not your choice.

I understand it completely to ban it when there are crowds of people as a few drunks can spoil it for many.

But in bars and at home they should not ban it that is just stupid.

What's really funny is that my closest local shop is located on a major road that sees loads of traffic, I can walk in there and buy beer/whiskey at any time of the day, every day, and nobody thinks anything of it. I think folks are fooling themselves with these bans, but they're entertaining nevertheless.

Spot On !

My local shop was told to sell alcohol only during the times in force at supermarkets, 7-11 etc so they complied by wrapping bottles and cans in newspaper which was more obvious than a plastic bag of cans.

Now they don't even bother with the newspaper and have never been visited by any officials despite the municipal building being at the top of the soi.

I don't know of any ' arrangements ' that may have been made.

You will not find one 7/11/Big C/Tesco/Makro outlet here on Phuket who will sell you booze outside the designated hours (however Villa Market are able to sell all day). I was recently in my local 7/11 when I noticed a young farang couple trying to buy a solitary Chang and a Breezer. This was at 10.40 am and they were refused of course. I spotted them as I left the shop and directed them to a M&P shop just 20 meters farther along the road, telling them this was a quaint Thai custom introduced by the Taksin administration and happily embraced by every successive government/dictatorship since. They held up their small purchases as a gesture of thanks as we passed each other.

What on earth tourists, few as they are now, think of this silly policy in Thailand, a predominantly Buddhist country, when just over the border in Malaysia, Muslim, you can buy all day God knows blink.png

Loads and loads of small mom and pop stores in Patong that will sell booze all day long, two of them in the local market behind Jungceylon.

But enuf about booze, what about the balloons!

Edited by chiang mai

It is the government's choice to ban it at certain days and or location. Not your choice.

I understand it completely to ban it when there are crowds of people as a few drunks can spoil it for many.

I disagree, have security that removes the drunks and fee them. The government is not our parents and the people aren't small children.....away with all the useless laws.

Heck, I will still be in the states this weekend and will visit the local Wat Thai Escondido (San Diego CA area). No booze there anyway and no lanterns, and just a little kiddie wading pool to float the krathongs in. But most of my Thailand vacations have been around the high season time and I always enjoyed Loy Krathong

The point is that I am trying to conceive that no government should force people to not drink at certain times. Either alcohol is legal or it isn't.

One would think taking care of the few drunks that spoil it for others to be a much more logical and reasoned approach.

I disagree, have security that removes the drunks and fee them. The government is not our parents and the people aren't small children.....away with all the useless laws.

In a perfect world i agree with you. But not here just too hard too police and too much police needed on a national holiday.

But i agree in principle because now normal people are punished because some people cant behave. Best thing is going after the offenders.

Just not doable during a huge scale national holliday.

The point is that I am trying to conceive that no government should force people to not drink at certain times. Either alcohol is legal or it isn't.

One would think taking care of the few drunks that spoil it for others to be a much more logical and reasoned approach.

See my previous post to h90

Anyway this festival is outdoors and many governments all over the world restrict alcohol. In the Netherlands you can't drink in certain parks and some festivals don't get an alcohol license.

This is no different unless its a real ban and bars are not allowed to serve alcohol then i agree with you.

In a perfect world i agree with you. But not here just too hard too police and too much police needed on a national holiday.

But i agree in principle because now normal people are punished because some people cant behave. Best thing is going after the offenders.

Just not doable during a huge scale national holliday.

Why "not doable"? We're just talking here about festival sites where events are taking place, not entire cities, districts, precincts, etc. One or two-man patrols at these events are all it would take. Yeah, the police might actually have to do some "work", but I'm sure they can use the fresh air & exercise. At this time of year they should be out & about anyway. The L-K events should actually help them focus their resources.

very good decision. But only for ONE day? Should be ordered lifetime clap2.gif

I don't know why you even bother to venture out of your home country. Can't stand people who want 3rd world countries to adopt the restrictions of 1st world countries.

So you are one of those who came here for cheap booze..? Restrictions you'll find in Western Countries as well!

Enjoy your booze if you can't do it without even one day. Poor laddie.

I like loy krathong. It's a charming, peaceful, beautiful event which it's lovely to see families enjoying together.

I don't think the addition of drunk farangs enhances it at all.

Yeah, right! Because Thais are such sober people, always looking out for their tradition and culture and never touching alcohol during any kind of festival!

I like loy krathong. It's a charming, peaceful, beautiful event which it's lovely to see families enjoying together.

Yeah, right! Because Thais are such sober people, always looking out for their tradition and culture and never touching alcohol during any kind of festival!

Maybe loy krathong is different where you live. Round my way it's quite a calm, peaceful affair.

Maybe loy krathong is different where you live. Round my way it's quite a calm, peaceful affair.
Isn't that a lot like saying it's five o'clock SOMEwhere? Of course it is. But that hardly means it's the same everywhere. And to imply that it's farangs that do all the drinking in Thailand at holiday times is just preposterous. Edited by hawker9000

What's really funny is that my closest local shop is located on a major road that sees loads of traffic, I can walk in there and buy beer/whiskey at any time of the day, every day, and nobody thinks anything of it. I think folks are fooling themselves with these bans, but they're entertaining nevertheless.

Where is this shop located? All the liquor stores along Lamphun Road are strict observers of alcohol supply times.

Isn't that a lot like saying it's five o'clock SOMEwhere? Of course it is. But that hardly means it's the same everywhere. And to imply that it's farangs that do all the drinking in Thailand at holiday times is just preposterous.
The celebrations i have seen also did not involve alcohol at the places where they put the floats in the water. What they do at home or in bars is their business.

Where did you see the alcohol use in the bars or at the real places where the boats went in.

Been around BKK multiple times and on the islands in the south too and i never saw people getting drunk or walking with bottles of beer there.

But maybe they do where you are.

Booze is not so cheap in Thailand compared to Cambodia or Laos. If I wanted to have my life restricted by unnecessary regulations and legislation I would stay in Australia. If you don't want to drink that is up to you. Half the appeal of living in these developing countries is a freer lifestyle. Thailand seems determined to over regulate and control the lives of its citizens and is fast losing its appeal as a desirable long term home or even short term vacation spot.

If you want to have a freer lifestyle in Laos or Cambodia, go for it. However, given I don't fully trust the Thai medical system. I think you'd be taking your life in your hands if you went to either country and had a medical emergency.

coffee1.gif

Where is this shop located? All the liquor stores along Lamphun Road are strict observers of alcohol supply times.

Liquor stores obey the rules, they have to because they're government registered/licensed, mom and pop shops that sell beer and liquor as well as other things are not.

very good decision. But only for ONE day? Should be ordered lifetime clap2.gif

I don't know why you even bother to venture out of your home country. Can't stand people who want 3rd world countries to adopt the restrictions of 1st world countries.

So you are one of those who came here for cheap booze..? Restrictions you'll find in Western Countries as well!

Enjoy your booze if you can't do it without even one day. Poor laddie.

If you read my posts I said earlier that Thailand is the most expensive country in the region for beer and spirits. Your line of argument misses the point of opposition to yet another ban by this Cromwellian government. Did you come to Thailand to be dictated to about how to live your public life?

Edited by Spock

It should be illegal every day of the year, and it would be if it wasn't taxed.

If I invented a drug that had the same effect, and caused the multitude of problems, both medical and social as Alcohol does, it would be a Class 'A' drug and I'd get life in prison if I tried to sell it, yet I can open a shop, get a license and sell government taxed Alcohol with no problem.

It should be illegal every day of the year, and it would be if it wasn't taxed.

If I invented a drug that had the same effect, and caused the multitude of problems, both medical and social as Alcohol does, it would be a Class 'A' drug and I'd get life in prison if I tried to sell it, yet I can open a shop, get a license and sell government taxed Alcohol with no problem.

You want to arrest monkeys who eat fermented fruits as well? Or how about horses eating Locoweed?

Alcohol is ingrained in our cultures and tradition for as long as we live in this planet and you want to make it illegal?

http://www.cracked.com/article_17032_7-species-that-get-high-more-than-we-do.html