running tipps and tricks

h90

Any runner here?

Now I actually really started...

In the past I always got problems, because well trained from the bicycle I jumped full into running but my tendons, joints, etc were not ready. I always got pain on the lower leg front/inside side.

Now I try to be smarter crazy.gif

Today first time....I restricted myself to just 10 min. Next time 15 min.

I promised myself to restrict it to twice a week on the beginning (I am doing other sports on the other days).

What I found out is that my feet hit the floor flat like a duck. Seems my calves are strong and shortened, so I can't lift up the front of my feet. I start stretching them. I hope that does the trick.

Currently I have 66-67 kg at 1.70 tall, but not much fat. I'll try to reduce that 1-2kg.

Any other tips on how to avoid problems specially on the beginning?

(Cardio, nutritional, fluids is not a problem, as I go with the road bike and know what to do and be generally fit, just how to avoid some joint/tendon or other problems from not being used to running)?

I think the key is to start very slow and don't be over enthusiastic so also the weakest part has time to adjust?

I just stated running as well, as preparation for the Cha-am Triathlon I entered next March.

My running friends told me the best way to start is running intervals of around 30min total 2-3 times a week, increasing the length of the intervals each week until you can run constantly for the 30min comfortably.

Quite similar to what is recommended here http://www.runnersworld.com/getting-started/the-8-week-beginners-program

If yore getting pain in the shins, you should stop running until you recover, and if the pain doesn't go away after a few days best see a doctor as it could be shin splints

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just stated running as well, as preparation for the Cha-am Triathlon I entered next March.

My running friends told me the best way to start is running intervals of around 30min total 2-3 times a week, increasing the length of the intervals each week until you can run constantly for the 30min comfortably.

Quite similar to what is recommended here http://www.runnersworld.com/getting-started/the-8-week-beginners-program

If yore getting pain in the shins, you should stop running until you recover, and if the pain doesn't go away after a few days best see a doctor as it could be shin splints

great that sounds similar to what I thought (15 min first time, 20 min second time, ......) 2 times per week (my 2 times per week are more like 4 times if I don't brake with all my mental power).

Pain in the shins not yet :-) I had it continuous for like 5 or so years, at the end I needed a couple of Aspirin for every training, but I was pretty good on long distances crazy.gif

My shins have several small bone problem, you can move the encapsulated parts, but that isn't the problem. If I recall right (not sure) it was on the edge of the shin-bone inside.

I think it was because I in autumn, well trained on the bike, I just started from one day to the other to run 30+ km per day. Road bike you have no shocks, very gentle on everything...than with every step a shock....

Young an foolish.....there are no pills against being stupid......Now I don't want to do the same again (so there is some hope that I am not as stupid as I look like gigglem.gif ).

You know, young, loaded with natural Testosterone, if there is a limit it will be broken no matter the costs.......

Thanks 2-3 times per week 30 min maxsmile.png I'll follow your advicesmile.pngthumbsup.gif At least for the first week facepalm.gif couple of months

by the way cha-am triathlon......I shouldn't ask...too early...you have some details?

It's on the ama-events.com website, the Cha-am International Triathlon, although apparently it is already fully subscribed!

Another useful training tool, is the Garmin HRM-RUN, if you have a compatible device. It can measure your running cadence/ground contact time etc, so can help you improve your form. For example when I stared running again, my stride length was too long and cadence too low, so it put a lot of strain on the legs muscles. Shorting my stride and increasing cadence has helped a lot, and I also don't suffer as much pain after running.

I'm using a Garmin Fenix 3, which came with the HRM-RUN in the box.