Official help for drug addicts in Pattaya?

dennis123

People need serious help, they have the heart in the right place but the current drug policies don't help them in any way besides throwing them back in the old pattern after jail time.

First time they get locked up for a day

Second time they get locked up for 7-14 days

Third time (from what I understood) they go into a 4 month military training program.

But when they get released they have nothing, due to their history they lost all social contacts to back up on, so they are out on the streets without a single dime and on theirselves.

Once I helped a guy out to get a new room, he blew it, back on drugs, got arrested again, ended up in the 4 month militairy rehabilitation program and after that ended up back on the streets.

Met him tonight again, he's sleeping on the beach again, no other choices, no money.

I could rent a room for him again but I'm pretty sure that won't help for any length of time, sure he would be settled for 1-2 months and he prostitutes himself again with a lack of customers and every dime he makes probably gets spend on drugs again.

Is there any help program in Pattaya that I could make him aware of that perhaps could get him on the straight path?

Does Thailand have "social services" ?

Does Thailand have "social welfare" ?

Does Thailand have rehabilitation facilities ?

Can Thailand offer "real support" for people at a disadvantage ?

Can see where your heart is OP, but unless you financially support him, house him, educate him, what hope can there be ?

Remember where we are. Thailand !!

And please do not take this as a "negative" comment.

It is a "real world" comment.

Can see where your heart is OP, but unless you financially support him, house him, educate him, what hope can there be ?

And you may remember that the day they have all of those "social services" and more, you may no longer afford to live here. This is a real comment, not negative at all, i hope these services are available to the poor one day. Edited by saakura

I don't take it negative at all, it's kind of expected in Thailand indeed, but thought I just ask, who knows there's some volunteer thing available.

I wouldn't know what job he could do, he is a jolly guy but he clearly shows drug addict signs in the way he talks / behaves, I wouldn't want him in my shop if I had one so working in Tesco, Big C, 7/11 or anything service related is probably not an option. His only crime is drug use, he doesn't steal or anything afaik. He isn't the youngest anymore either, 38 by now but looks an awful lot younger, which surprised me when he told his age, I was like damn I expected more like 26-28. Due to his age I don't see him going to school either but will mention the saturday school to him for the basic education and no problem in financing that.

A construction job would do him good I guess, hard work, good distraction but unsure he'd be willing to do that, actually I think little chance.

Any other work options you could think of besides cleaning, working in the kitchen?

I've went bankrupt years ago, had no education, a crime record and those above were my only options at some point, even working in a warehouse was no option due to the minor crime as even for that they need a declaration of good behavior, I started for myself which worked out well so maybe he'll have to think about some small food/shake shop at a market like in Jomtien. I could help him with that as it doesn't require any large upfront costs, no idea how much they charge for setting up such shop like at Jomtien near the volleyball. Anyone?

Their only choice is to become monk. If they don't want no problem, let them die.

I only help people who have no choice,and mostly it means kids only.

Theoretically speaking every adult has a choice indeed but some are just not able to help their selves. I mean what can he do when he has no money and no one to help him out. I've been in a similar situation (though without the drugs) where I didn't want to call in the help of my parents or friends, but I'm from Holland and there we do have government based solutions. No one needs to be homeless in my country, the ones that are homeless literally choose for it.

Maybe monk isn't such bad idea for him and perhaps they can help him there further. They seem to collect an awful lot of money.

Edited by dennis123

There are those temples in bangkok that make you throw up three times a day. They r for free. Is it that skinny guy that always asks for money out the front of jomtien 7-11s?

He is skinny yes but I don't know if he hangs out in front of 7/11, I always see him in Jomtien complex (gay bar area), walking around trying to find a customer and he also walks a lot on the beach and sleeps there. There are not that many around here so I think we talk about the same person.

The others are a shirtless guy who played in sex movies in the past cause he has an enormous dick lol, the boys were always joking about that and for 100 baht he would show, and then we have that sweaty bit crazy guy but often seems to have money, he walks from Jomtien complex to Sunnee plaza to Boys Town, he's all over the place.

When I see either of them I often pass a 100 baht for food or whatever they do with it.

Saw some other site as well that haven't been updated since 2007 or something, guess those things don't last long.

Actually kind of strange with such high drug use levels, yesterday I heard that an immens popular gay isaan club is now only half full each night, reason: frequent drug tests. There you go...