How much $ am I looking at?

P4K

I'm thinking about moving to bangkok for a few months so if I'm curious how much I'd need to spend per month for the following:

a nice furnished 1b condo (no more than half hour outside of city centre)

food (probably like 90% of it takeout)

money for partying (probably like 6 times per month)

and transportation money (possibly might rent a scooter but Im probably just gonna stick to taxis since I dont have a license and bangkok traffic is crazy)

So yea I think thats pretty much it. I understand there are a lot of variables to this but whats the max I would be looking at per month? And whats the minimum budget I would need?

Edited by P4K

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What exactly do you mean by partying? A couple of hookers back at your place, or a couple of beers at the local pub?

I think I got the bargirls out of my system last time I was there haha so yea excluding them but yea I think every time I go out I'll spend at least like $50

Not very specific so for 1 month you will need...

Room 170,000b per month

Skooter just buy one 140,000 Honda forza

Food 1000b per meal 3 meals a day.. 90,000b per month

Partying.. Not sure on you party style assuming hookers and blow and hookers.. 100,000 per night x 6 = 600,000b

So 1,000,000b should cover you for a month.. But I did not include fuel.. Enjoy.

and transportation money (possibly might rent a scooter but Im probably just gonna stick to taxis since I dont have a license and bangkok traffic is crazy)

room - 3000

food - 3000

party - 2000

transport - 500

8,500 / m should cover it ................

Always funny these "how much" threads, 8500 to 1 mio biggrin.png

I don't live in Bangkok but on the other end of the price scale but from my few excursions and what I find in the forum, I would join the 2000$/70000 Baht "median" for a proper lifestyle without excess.

8500 is survival training.

1 mio is not impossible.

On his birthday a friend went with his girl friend to one of the top class roof-top/skybar places (forgot the name).

He refused to tell me exactly what a glass of coke cost tongue.png

Its always better to give an idea of what you expect to spend.

Room 170,000b per month

Partying.. Not sure on you party style assuming hookers and blow and hookers.. 100,000 per night x 6 = 600,000b

So 1,000,000b should cover you for a month.. But I did not include fuel.. Enjoy.

Why do you even bother posting if your just going to post nonsense? rolleyes.gif

Room 170,000b per month

Why do you even bother posting if your just going to post nonsense? rolleyes.gif

because it's fun

What exactly do you mean by partying? A couple of hookers back at your place, or a couple of beers at the local pub?

or a couple beers from the 7-11

or just sit in your room and drink water

or just go away and figure it out by yourself...

Edited by fey

Sort of difficult to define the 'City Centre'

The 'centre' of some peoples world is Soi Cowboy (BTW, nothing wrong with that), Lower Suk (humvit Rd), for others is Sathorn/Silom/Siam.

For me, I'd aim to be close'ish to a BTS/MRT Station as that opens up a lot of accessibility at little cost or hassle.

Good luck with the move, I personally love Bangkok, so many options for me there.

tbh 2k is more than I expected. i make about 3k a month but Im planning to save at least half that. Would this all fit within 1.5k? And how much does the avg 1b condo cost given i rent for a few months locally?

tbh 2k is more than I expected. i make about 3k a month but Im planning to save at least half that. Would this all fit within 1.5k? And how much does the avg 1b condo cost given i rent for a few months locally?

Its not just the rent is it, there will also be a deposit to be paid, (which will be at least a month rent usually)

You really have been to vague, its all guesswork, if's and But's

$1.5K per month (~53K baht) is possible if you don't party much and don't buy much (appliances, gadgets, house hold items, etc). Don't expect a luxurious lifestyle by any means, just comfortable existence.

$2k per month would give you room for a bit of luxury/travel/expensive hobbies, or a bar girl here and there.

Edited by soomak

I think I got the bargirls out of my system last time I was there haha so yea excluding them but yea I think every time I go out I'll spend at least like $50

You been there before? you should already know the answers to your questions except maybe the condo and a nice 1 bedroom wont be cheap, I would say 30k next door to Nana or Asoke bts and a significant drop 30 mins out unless its peak hour and that 30 turns into 60..

500 baht a day is comfortable. 150 for the loom, 150 for street food, and enough money left over for a couple bottles of beer. i'll just assume you get your chicks for free.

Maybe it's comfortable for you but I think most farang would be aiming higher than that lol

A decent meal and a beer would be 500 unless you enjoy salty bowls of Greece, otherwise known as "noodle soup"

oh true good point yea good point how much is medical insurance?

I assume when you say you're moving to Bangkok and you quote things is US $ that you're in the US? Medical insurance will depend on your age and any pre-existing conditions and is best bought as travel insurance using an American company before you start your trip. If you have insurance in the US, ask your current provider/agent what it would cost to cover you for x months of travel and residence in Thailand.

If you do some traveling etc,eat at some nice restaurants it's not hard to go thru 1 million baht A year.I'm talking in the neighborhood of 100,000 baht A month.Sure you can live a lot cheaper but then maybe not living A very exciting life.

500 baht a day is comfortable. 150 for the loom, 150 for street food, and enough money left over for a couple bottles of beer. i'll just assume you get your chicks for free.

Maybe it's comfortable for you but I think most farang would be aiming higher than that lol

A decent meal and a beer would be 500 unless you enjoy salty bowls of Greece, otherwise known as "noodle soup"

i tried that, but the pad thai and beer tasted exactly the same at the 50 baht and 500 baht place ;)

<quote>
I'm thinking about moving to bangkok for a few months so if I'm curious how much I'd need to spend per month for the following:

So yea I think thats pretty much it. I understand there are a lot of variables to this but whats the max I would be looking at per month? And whats the minimum budget I would need?
</quote>

Nice furnished 1 BR apartment 20-30 mins by BTS from what I consider the city center (ymmv) - 12k to 16K

Food - depends what you mean by takeout. If you want to order Pizza in and other farang style food then budget anything upto 1000 baht a day. Also depends how much you eat and how many meals. I doubt you are going to be ordering in breakfast, lunch and dinner. Realistic budget maybe 500 baht a day (averaged out over a month).

Partying. Depends where. A night out can cost from 2,000 to 30,000 baht.

Transport. Use the BTS and taxis from the BTS into places like Thonglor or Silom or anywhere its too far to walk. Total cost.... again depends how often you go out and where to.

Partying only six times a month seems a bit little.... there are 7 days in a week... Even if you only go out on Hump Day (Wednesday), then Friday, Sat and Sunday; that is still 16 nights out a month.

I guess it depends on your age.