Nestle aims to make Thai kids healthy

Nestle aims to make Thai kids healthy

30273131-01_big.jpg

Audrey Liow, third right, chairwoman and CEO of Nestle Indochina, Nophadol Siwabutr, second right, corporate affairs director of Nestle (Thai), Eugene Chan, right, communications and marketing services director of Nestle (Thai), Sangha Darmaphong, third l

BANGKOK: Nestle, the multinational nutrition, health and wellness company, has reinforced its commitment to promoting proper nutrition and good health for Thai children by highlighting the achievements of its sustainable "Healthy Thai Kids" programme, which it has run for more than a decade.

The Thai programme is part of the company's "Healthy Kids Global Programme" to raise nutrition and health knowledge and promote physical activity among school-age children around the world.

Healthy Kids programmes are based on multi-partnership approaches, with the Switzerland-based group working with almost 300 partners worldwide, including national and local governments, NGOs, health nutrition institutes and sport federations.

At the global level, Healthy Kids partners with the EPODE International Network and the International Association of Athletics Federation to support the development of the programme.

As of last month, Nestle was actively working with close to 300 partners to deliver the "Healthy Kids Global Programme" in 80 countries, up from 73 in 2014.

These efforts increase children's basic knowledge of the importance of nutrition and physical activity, and have reached around 8 million children so far.

The key to the programme's success is the quality of the expert teams who develop the educational materials and curricula to meet the specific needs of local communities.

The company has developed stricter participation criteria because it knows the programmes work best when children take part regularly.

The company has also improved the way it evaluates their impact and will focus on ensuring that the programmes positively highlight nutrition and health knowledge, attitude and behaviour of the children.

In Thailand, Kanokthip Prinyarnussorn, corporate communication and PR group manager at Nestle (Thai) and the programme leader, said that food and nutrition play a key role in improving the health and well-being of people of all ages.

Changing lifestyles leads Thai people towards developing inappropriate eating habits. They do not eat enough fruits and vegetables and prefer food with too much salt, sugar and fat, while they also exercise less, she said, adding that this results in many chronic health conditions, often referred to as 'lifestyle diseases'.

Nestle believes in the importance of establishing the right foundation for good health at a young age by promoting health and nutrition knowledge and encourage children to be physically active, which will enhance a child's physical, emotional and cognitive growth.

Research on children's health shows that Thai children have the risks of both insufficient nutrient intake and a significant increase of overweight.

In 2004, Nestle, in collaboration with the Health Department, the Food and Drug Administration, the Public Health Ministry and the Office of Basic Education Commission, launched the "Healthy Thai Kids" programme to drive a health-promotion mission.

It aims to raise awareness and provide education about nutrition and healthy living among key influencers such as parents, teachers and communities, who play a major role in promoting good nutrition, health and wellness for children, she explained.

Under this collaboration, Nestle has developed 'edutainment' materials covering nutrition and exercise that are fun and easy for schoolchildren aged six to 12 to understand.

The materials feature concepts such as Read the label; Adjust your behaviour to eat five food groups (especially more fruits and vegetables); Move your body to burn what you eat; and Avoid food that is too salty, oily or sweet.

Children are encouraged to change their habits and make their daily routines healthier.

Nestle has continually rolled out activities to enhance the programme, such as teacher seminars, "Healthy Thai Kids Day" and the "Winning Good Health Within 8 Weeks Mission" among 150 participating schools.

The programme has carried out pre- and post-activity tests to measure children's attitudes and behaviours.

The key success is that many now know and understand more about proper eating. Most importantly, these children have made positive changes to their eating habits, consuming less salt, sugar and oils, and eating a greater variety of vegetables, said Kanokthip.

Over the past 10 years, Nestle Thailand has donated 23,000 sets of teaching materials to more than 13,000 schools and reached over 1.6 million school children nationwide through the "Healthy Thai Kids" programme.

It has become a role model of health promotion under the "Nestle Global Healthy Kids Programme", which aims to increase nutrition and health knowledge and promote physical activity to school-age children worldwide, including in the Americas, Europe, Africa, Asia-Pacific and Australia.

Last week, Nestle reinforced its commitment to promoting proper nutrition and good health for Thai children by highlighting the achievements of its sustainable "Healthy Thai Kids" programme.

At a seminar titled "Nestle Joins Forces to Enable Good Nutrition and Good Health for Thai Kids" - held to celebrate the auspicious occasion of Her Royal Highness Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn's fifth-circle birthday - a Nestle booth featured various edutainment activities such as the "Healthy Thai Kids" programme, "Healthy Family Caravan" and school sports activities to promote a balanced diet and active lifestyles and how to read a nutrition label to make informed choices.

The event took place on the fifth floor of the Royal Siam Paragon shopping mall.

"Nestle is committed to continuously develop tasty and nutritious food and beverage products, together with providing knowledge and understanding about balanced diet and healthy lifestyles. This reflects Nestle's commitment in 'Good Food, Good Life' to improve health and quality of life for all Thai consumers," said Kanokthip.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Nestle-aims-to-make-Thai-kids-healthy-30273131.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-11-22

Kids learn and get to eat from their parents, peers and advertising (watch a cartoon show, all advertising is crap foods).

Kids will want to continue with activities they like, not a boring sport or a series silly exercises.

Well meaning but as much a publicity vehicle for the company, imo

Nestle aims to get even richer exploiting parents and children like they have in other parts of the world.

I seem to recall Nestle (and others) aggressively "pumping" their baby formula throughout Africa and elsewhere in the third world claiming it to be so much better than breast milk ... and thus depriving a large number of children of all, or at least some, of the very important benefits of breast milk.

hqdefault.jpg

Nestle and health in the same sentence is an oxymoron. They are looking for new markets to sell their GMO laden crap as other

countries are waking up and don't want it. With this new government, Thailand has been prey for all kinds of stupid "purchases"

suck as fracking and missiles. Easy targets I guess for this kind of thing.

What are they going to do ?? Leave the country and stop the obesity epidemic by no longer selling their highly processed sugar rich products in Thailand ??

Yeah, for real, they have no interest in the health of the purchaser, only their profit.

Its ran for more than a decade? Sadly its not worked well so far really has it.....

That depends upon what the objective really was.

Its objective was as per every corp was 2.'increase market share and in turn profits. Everything else Is a distraction.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

YES! And Monsanto sells nothing else but healthy alternative medicine products that raise your kids IQ and makes them 180 cm meter tall.

Too bad I missed the NATION's job offer: Obeying convenience editor devoted to promote advertisers products wanted.

Edited by Lupatria

more corporate BS from Nestle...the first thing they should do if they are serious is to completely remove the "Nestle Van Shows" from schools in Thailand

....at my school a Nestle emblazoned van arrives twice a month complete with half a dozen Nestle staff and sets up either a Milo or Ovaltine show in the school grounds...complete with large TV screen, and staff in cartoon character fancy dress....then what follows is a 1 hour "promotion" of Milo or Ovaltine to students as young as 6 years old...

As I have mentioned numerous times to the Thai boss is that Milo and Ovaltine contain 50 to 60% sugar...and are not healthy and not entirely suitable for young children (or anyone for that matter)...I also mention to him that Thais consume far too much sugar and have a high incidence of kidney disease (excessive sugar intake being only 1 of many contributing factors)

I suspect money is being exchanged between the school and Nestle for these "promotions"

The Nestle vans continue to arrive

more corporate BS from Nestle...the first thing they should do if they are serious is to completely remove the "Nestle Van Shows" from schools in Thailand

....at my school a Nestle emblazoned van arrives twice a month complete with half a dozen Nestle staff and sets up either a Milo or Ovaltine show in the school grounds...complete with large TV screen, and staff in cartoon character fancy dress....then what follows is a 1 hour "promotion" of Milo or Ovaltine to students as young as 6 years old...

As I have mentioned numerous times to the Thai boss is that Milo and Ovaltine contain 50 to 60% sugar...and are not healthy and not entirely suitable for young children (or anyone for that matter)...I also mention to him that Thais consume far too much sugar and have a high incidence of kidney disease (excessive sugar intake being only 1 of many contributing factors)

I suspect money is being exchanged between the school and Nestle for these "promotions"

The Nestle vans continue to arrive

Sugar is the biggest promoter of obesity, type 2 diabetes, fatty liver, heart disease and CANCER. Not only does it cause cancer but the tumour feeds off of sugar, but only the refined stuff (sugar in fruit is OK).

People should consume more saturated fats and oils (of the right type) such as avocado, coconut oil, olive oil, dark chocolate etc:. They will help you to loose weight as well as providing many health benefits. I don't eat any refined foods now and have literally cut sugar (refined) out of my diet as it is an addictive drug that is highly toxic to the body.

People think they are doing the healthy thing when they eat 0% fat products or 'lite' drinks and artificially sweetened non-sugar containing choices but they are far worse than sugar, as artificial sweeteners such as Splenda, aspartame not only increase obesity but they are neuro-toxins!!

I don't blame Nestle for trying to burnish their tarnished image. When you are selling arguably some of the most unhealthy products on the planet you need all the help you can muster.

What IS sickening is how a supposedly independent newspaper can run such a lengthy and unashamedly laudatory piece of PR in its editorial columns under a headline which could have come straight from Nestle's advertising department.

It is hypocritical for the Thai print media to whinge about restrictions on their freedom when they so blatantly suck up to mega corporations with big advertising budgets.

Nestle aims to get even richer exploiting parents and children like they have in other parts of the world.

I seem to recall Nestle (and others) aggressively "pumping" their baby formula throughout Africa and elsewhere in the third world claiming it to be so much better than breast milk ... and thus depriving a large number of children of all, or at least some, of the very important benefits of breast milk.

hqdefault.jpg

Correct. There was quite an aggressive campaign in the UK at the time to boycott Nestle products. Can't remember the year exactly - late 90's or early 00's. I still think twice when buying as a result of that campaign.

You can’t blame Nestle for seeking to burnish its image. After all, when you sell some of the unhealthiest products on the planet, you need all the help you can get.

What IS sickening is a supposedly independent newspaper publishing such a one-sided laudatory piece of PR under a headline which could have to have come straight from Nestle’s marketing department.

How hypocritical can you get? Thai newspapers are constantly carping about government curbs on their so-called freedom, yet blatantly lick the hands of mega corporations with big advertising budgets.

You can’t blame Nestle for seeking to burnish its tarnished image. After all, when you sell some of the unhealthiest products on the planet, you need all the help you can get.

What IS sickening is a supposedly independent newspaper publishing such a laudatory piece of PR under a headline which could have to have come straight from Nestle’s marketing department.

How hypocritical can you get? It’s no use Thai newspapers constantly carping about government curbs on their so-called freedom when they so blatantly lick the hands of mega corporations with the biggest advertising budgets.

Nestle has long behaved in a chillingly bloody minded way. The water rights encroachment scandals and the mothers milk scandal in Africa back in the 70's are world famous. They seemingly will not let anything cut into their profits including directly harming people and the environment. Their policy is to sit up there and lie bewteen their teeth as seen here. They are certainly not interested in anyone's health, it's a no brainer that most people are well aware of. I think I now understand why people have problems with the news outlet known as the Nation, seems it's run by people who are less informed than their readership, shame on the Nation running this garbage, it's corporate propaganda dressed up as news.

Edited by Shaunduhpostman