Amnat Charoen

amnat

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone on this forum lives in or near to Amnat Charoen, or is planning to do so in the future.

I currently live in Pattaya and England, and my girlfriend has a house just outside Amnat which I have visited before.

In about 4 years time I hope to get a Retirement Visa and live in Thailand. I am giving serious consideration in moving to her home in Amnat but do not know much about the area.

So I was wondering if there may be any members here who can give me any info, or if there are any foreigners living in the area and what they think of it.

thanks,

A

I live in Khemarat which is about 65 kms east of Amnat. There are quite a few farang living in our area and along the road from Khemarat to Amnat. Here there are 3 Australians, 2 Germans, 2 Americans, an Austrian, a Norwegian and a few more that come and go. I know of an american that lives about 8 kms outside of Amnat and there will be an Australian moving to Amnat on the Mukdahan road in November.

There is an english lady that either works in or owns a book shop in Amnat that I met a couple of years ago. Im sure there will be more farang in the area once you get to live there and move around the area. Out in the sticks you tend to find them as it does get a bit lonely and you sometimes need to get a sanity break and talk to one of your own.

Amnat is a small provincial captial city. Im not sure about nightlife there but you will find all that out when you live there. It is about 70kms from Ubon Ratchathani which is quite large and good for shopping, entertainment, etc and about 75 kms to Mukdahan which is an entry point into Laos for isa runs etc.. There are many farangs living in and around both those areas.

Give it a go and see how you enjoy it. Dont expect it to be as lively as Bangkok or Pattaya but it is good fun living up this way.

Good luck

Thanks for the info. I plan to move out there permanently in another 3 and a half years if things stay on plan. With occasional visits up to that date.

Anyone want to PM me in the area and I will respond. I know what you mean about occasionally meeting up with other foreigners and would be happy to do that, hence my original post here.

My girlfriends house if just east of Amnat, about 1km or 2km outside the city. Not sure of the name of the village at the moment, will have to find out.

A