Tourists down?

oxo1066

Mass tourism is only destroying much of Southeast Asia. In a few more years it will look much the same as the place you left. More 7-11, Pizza Hut, KFC, Dairy Queen, Starbucks, McDonald's and resorts everywhere , Thailand is losing its charm and is attracting more and more very questionable and trashy looking foreigners. YUK ! YUK! and YUK!

Many of us would beg to disagree with your negative assessment of Thailand. I consider Thailand to be one of the most charming places I have ever been. And I love all of the 7/11's. They are very convenient. The charm of the place is one of the chief reasons I decided to move here ten years ago, and have not regretted that decision for even one day. I wake up every day thankful that I am here. I love traveling around Thailand, and the region. I love the food here. I love visiting Bangkok, which I consider to be an amazing and wonderful city. it is probably the most delightful third world capital in the world. I love most of the people here, consider them to be fun loving, playful, and positive people, with delightful attitudes, unlike yours. I might suggest some laxatives for you. It can be a great help in overcoming a sour disposition.

And as far as the tourists go, it appears that many of the Russian tourists, who can no longer afford to visit, are being replaced by Chinese tourists. Though I despise the Chinese government, I like most Chinese people. They are infinitely more pleasant than the Russians they replaced. Most are fun loving, and not dour like most Russians. So, from my point of view, the place is only getting better!

Edited by spidermike007

Mass tourism is only destroying much of Southeast Asia. In a few more years it will look much the same as the place you left. More 7-11, Pizza Hut, KFC, Dairy Queen, Starbucks, McDonald's and resorts everywhere , Thailand is losing its charm and is attracting more and more very questionable and trashy looking foreigners. YUK ! YUK! and YUK!

in a few more years ,ao nang in krabi already looks exactly what you describe.

I am with you I loved the old thailand before malls,fast food chains,cars and trucks every where.etc. I miss so many things that were unique to Thailand that are now gone. The women carrying things on a pole on their shoulders with a basket at each end of the pole.They would stop and make som tom right there on the sidewalk Warm weak tea in a glass when you had noodles.Pedal power samlors. The list goes on.Now it is just another wannabe cosmopolitan place. It now reminds me of a big city ghetto where Asians live any where in the world., it has lost its character and charm.

Tourism down? Don't think so. Lets look at the bigger picture; When I first started coming to Thailand 13 years ago they were getting 12 - 14 million tourists a year. This year that figure will be at least 28 million, very possibly 30. So how can tourism be down?

I fully agree that the type of tourists has changed. Far less westerners now and many, many more Chinese, Korean & Indian. These nationals are not the type for sitting in bars all evening.

Guest bookings for my little airport hotel are high in number, but low in room rate :(

The only solution is for me to open more guest rooms at this low rate to try to return my profit to levels in previous years

Things ain't like it were 10 years ago ==> full of western guests, buying beer and food like there was no tomorrow

No, but it's already HIGH season in Colorado. In fact, every season is HIGH season.

Of course, we're not talking about Dark Ages mental thinking, 555

I guess they'd rather be in Colorado ... cue for a song ?

Personally I'd rather be in Chiang Mai, now that the cool-season has arrived, although Patters was starting to pick-up earlier this month. smile.png

cool sounds cool

Patts to Nan soon

ya baby

Guest bookings for my little airport hotel are high in number, but low in room rate sad.png

The only solution is for me to open more guest rooms at this low rate to try to return my profit to levels in previous years

Things ain't like it were 10 years ago ==> full of western guests, buying beer and food like there was no tomorrow

Perhaps time to follow Thai MO of putting prices up when business is down in the hope of generating the same gross reveue as before but from fewer guests.

10 years+ ago Thailand was a cheap destination for westerners, it isn't really now. In those days we got 70+ bht v £1 and prices overall were lower.

Considering that I've just booked a roundtrip flight from Europe to Thailand leaving in the first half of january for 500€ (on a top gulf company), I'd say that they must have hard times filling up the airplanes.

That's almost 200€ cheaper than last year, same period. I don't think that lower fuel prices explains it all (especially for these companies that get cheap fuel anyway).

I consider Thailand to be one of the most charming places I have ever been. And I love all of the 7/11's.

Well, I consider 7/11s (and the Family Marts) to be the archetype of tasteless décor, boring products and high prices.

Not been my experience. I do not visit nor depend on 7/11 or family mart for decor. But, their products come in quite handy often, and contrary to their M.O. in the US, their prices here are just a few baht more than in the supermarkets, which I find amazing, and am quite willing to pay for the convenience. I rarely visit one in the US, but visit often here.

Many of us would beg to disagree with your negative assessment of Thailand. I consider Thailand to be one of the most charming places I have ever been. And I love all of the 7/11's. They are very convenient. The charm of the place is one of the chief reasons I decided to move here ten years ago, and have not regretted that decision for even one day. I wake up every day thankful that I am here. I love traveling around Thailand, and the region. I love the food here. I love visiting Bangkok, which I consider to be an amazing and wonderful city. it is probably the most delightful third world capital in the world. I love most of the people here, consider them to be fun loving, playful, and positive people, with delightful attitudes, unlike yours. I might suggest some laxatives for you. It can be a great help in overcoming a sour disposition.

And as far as the tourists go, it appears that many of the Russian tourists, who can no longer afford to visit, are being replaced by Chinese tourists. Though I despise the Chinese government, I like most Chinese people. They are infinitely more pleasant than the Russians they replaced. Most are fun loving, and not dour like most Russians. So, from my point of view, the place is only getting better!

Enjoyed your post but thailand isn't 3rd world as you mentioned

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Enjoyed your post but thailand isn't 3rd world as you mentioned

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

I just returned from a trip to Issan. With the possible exception of Bangkok and parts of Chiang Mai, Thailand is most definitely third world. You can call it a developing nation all you want. It is not a developed nation. I did not even have 2G reception for most of the trip. No land lines anywhere, and no wifi within 50 km. Many of the homes I visited had no indoor bathrooms. No garbage pickup. People were burning their trash. And what is the percentage of the population that lives in rural areas?

I am not criticizing that lifestyle. It is quite charming on some levels. Just stating a fact. Granted there is little starvation, nor disease here. The people eat well. But, there is no need to exaggerate. While cities like Bangkok do not feel like the third world sometimes, this nation remains firmly anchored in the third world, in my opinion.

Thailand is no where a 3rd world country. I have driven most of the county.u want 3rd world, travel to areas of burma, cambodia, laos.

I moved to phuket in 1985. Back than, no fresh milk, bangkokpost next day, few things western. Now i have a choice. Love Big c and the 7/11.

Even way up north ur never far from a mini mart and u have inertenet with a sim card everywhere,

But than so does burma,cambodia and laos.

Outside the heavy tourist areas the people are friendly same as 30 years ago.

Its a great,easy country to love and travel in.

If you dont like it, <deleted> off back to ur own country but dont deny thailand or the region, the opportuities for progress

Paradise is always just over the hill

Edited by phuketrichard

Thailand is no where a 3rd world country. I have driven most of the county.u want 3rd world, travel to areas of burma, cambodia, laos.

I moved to phuket in 1985. Back than, no fresh milk, bangkokpost next day, few things western. Now i have a choice. Love Big c and the 7/11.

Even way up north ur never far from a mini mart and u have inertenet with a sim card everywhere,

But than so does burma,cambodia and laos.

Outside the heavy tourist areas the people are friendly same as 30 years ago.

Its a great,easy country to love and travel in.

If you dont like it, <deleted> off back to ur own country but dont deny thailand or the region, the opportuities for progress

Paradise is always just over the hill

Funny how people without a particularly powerful intellect always use the same expression. No creative juice. Just, if you don't like it ++++ off to your own country. So lacking in juice, power, writing ability, or really anything to say. We were not debating how advanced Thailand has become. Just whether or not it is third world. Granted it is a dated term. The currently vogue term is developing or developed. I consider it a major stretch to label Thailand as developed. Just look at some of the highways and rural roads. Just look at the lack of 4G. Just look at the water and power situation on the southern islands like Samui, or Phangan. Just look at the lack of law and order, the lack of traffic safety, the dysfunctional and compromised judicial system. I could go on and on. I love this place, but would never consider it to be anything other than a developing nation.

Edited by spidermike007