Tourists down?

oxo1066

Just been to koh samet for 4 days, and it was very very quite, my girlfriends family work on the island and they have been saying business is not good, even the paraglide speed boats not doing anything, lots of day trippers ( Koreans ) but night times very quite and even some of the restaurants on the beach closing early. Will things pick up I hope so for the local business and people who walk up and down that beach all day looking to earn a living.

I really hope things do not pick up, Thailand does not deserve that it does. I went to Ko Samet in 1994, now look at it, ruined! Thais would concrete over the beeches if the price were right.

Yeah, Ko Samet is a dogs breakfast and now expensive. We went last year and it has changed and the beach was overrun by Chinese day boat Tourists. Compared to 2001 (first trip there) to now, it sucks.

In Chiang Mai, the numbers are up I think. Had a few farangs come through my partners business this week and we are out in a Thai area. Heaps of Nomads here at the moment. I ran into a heap having a 'conference' at one of my local coffee shops and disturbed a group of ten. Was at a Temple this morning volunteering giving food to the poor and a lot of the people that were giving the food were store owners and told me things were hard at the moment.

Stacks of Chinese on motorcycles are in the city but I try to steer clear of that area.

I really hope things do not pick up, Thailand does not deserve that it does. I went to Ko Samet in 1994, now look at it, ruined! Thais would concrete over the beeches if the price were right.

Agreed, anything for money

It's wrong, they've ruined their beaches for baht

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just been to koh samet for 4 days, and it was very very quite, my girlfriends family work on the island and they have been saying business is not good, even the paraglide speed boats not doing anything, lots of day trippers ( Koreans ) but night times very quite and even some of the restaurants on the beach closing early. Will things pick up I hope so for the local business and people who walk up and down that beach all day looking to earn a living.

The numbers are up due to over 11 million tourists in the past 12 months. But generally they do not spend as much money as many others. They rarely frequent the bars, and pay steeply discounted rates at hotels due to the package deals. They do patronize some restaurants. Not sure about gift purchasing. But overall they are not as valuable as many other nationalities, to the many businesses within the tourism sector.

I must have spent the weekend on a different Koh Samet entirely. Plenty of people around. 2 or 3 Parasail boats operating all day. Restaurants full in the evening. Place I stayed at was fully booked. Yeah, there were lots of Chinese tourists, but I don't mind what race I share the beach with.

Not a surprise, considering all of the lovely publicity this government is causing.

And the boom at the Erwan Shrine didn't help matters at all.

A big determining factor of travelers now (at least from the West, god knows what the Chinese think) is what country hasn't been stricken by terrorism.

You can bet Paris won't be a very popular destination for some years to come.

I think the amount of persons visiting Thailand have increased, but the amount of quality tourists that will spend money have decreased. Look at Pattaya and Koh Larn. In Koh Larn The beaches are full of Chinese low budget tourists that come with speed boat, spend 1-2 hours eating the food they have with them. They are provided lunch boxes, thru a lot of garbage and leave. Also Russians come here they sit at the beach on towels eat and drink 7/11 purchases not renting chairs and use the local restaurants. Same for Jomtien and Dongtan beach, even though the police have decreased the sun chairs allowed by the vendors it's not full, previous 10-15 years at this time it have been smacked with tourists using the chairs and buying from the beach vendors. Just look at the trays of fruit they are carrying around previous they have been smock full and they have had extra fruit in bags due to the demand, now they start with half trays and don't sell out. As a person that have been spending time here for 20 years it's very sad to see the decreased quality tourists. TAT only count the heads coming in and they will probably increase now after the Egypt air accident, the russian have no other choice then come back to Pattaya and the military have made plenty of beach space for them after moving the chairs more together so you can't even walk safe there.

Seems to be a lot more young female backpackers in Chiang Mai, concentrated in the Old City and sois close by. Loi Kroh is dead. All the bar girls are texting on their smartphones or filing their nails, not many male falangs around.

Lots of bicycle riders seeking an early Nirvana.

that would be quite risky as beech trees can grow very high....

Seems to be a lot more young female backpackers in Chiang Mai, concentrated in the Old City and sois close by. Loi Kroh is dead. All the bar girls are texting on their smartphones or filing their nails, not many male falangs around.

Lots of bicycle riders seeking an early Nirvana.

an english speaker (well, really twangy american speaker) on a radio station has been harping on all day that high season is in full swing in pattaya as the traffic was really excessive but i managed to cruise from jomtien immigration to wong amat back to sukhumvit then back to wong amat then to big c central then to sukhumvit and back to wong amat with a stop here n there to buy 2 tv's and we hardly waited anywhere. even with the lights not working on pattaya nua.

meanwhile in CM tourists are slowly cottoning on that paying 125 bt for a beer so you can watch rough tarts play on fb is pretty poor value when you can cross the moat and drink for 60bt.

Global Tourism Is Down.

We see it on Maui and also on Oahu -- I opened a retail store in Honolulu and BIG MISTAKE.

Tourism is way down for us. It's the biggest sector of our economy (after military, which is huge at Pearl Harbor).

I am concerned about all the worldwide terrorism and threats, etc.

It's making many American worried about air travel.

ISIS threatens England, USA (New York & D.C. recently) and other countries.

I am a bit concerned for all of us !

No, but it's already HIGH season in Colorado. In fact, every season is HIGH season.

Of course, we're not talking about Dark Ages mental thinking, 555

I guess they'd rather be in Colorado ... cue for a song ?

Personally I'd rather be in Chiang Mai, now that the cool-season has arrived, although Patters was starting to pick-up earlier this month. smile.png

The numbers are up due to over 11 million tourists in the past 12 months. But generally they do not spend as much money as many others. They rarely frequent the bars, and pay steeply discounted rates at hotels due to the package deals. They do patronize some restaurants. Not sure about gift purchasing. But overall they are not as valuable as many other nationalities, to the many businesses within the tourism sector.

I meant over 11 million Chinese tourists in the past 12 months. They are taking up a lot of the slack left behind by the Russian abandonment of Thailand. There are probably only 20% the amount of Russians as before. Many of us are pleased with that development. But, I am sure it has taken a toll on a lot of resorts and restaurants.

Once the foreigners start showing up and with it their often nasty disrespectful attitudes kiss paradise goodbye. Watched numerous places destroyed because of them and greedy Thais that believe cement = money. It just makes everything look trashy.

Mass tourism is only destroying much of Southeast Asia. In a few more years it will look much the same as the place you left. More 7-11, Pizza Hut, KFC, Dairy Queen, Starbucks, McDonald's and resorts everywhere , Thailand is losing its charm and is attracting more and more very questionable and trashy looking foreigners. YUK ! YUK! and YUK!