Been bitten by a snake? General Treatment? Action Plan?

Chuckles78

Has anyone here been bitten by a snake in Thailand?

I want to come up with a action plan at our house incase of a snake bite as I have small kids.

I was thinking of creating a poster and printing pictures of common poisonous snakes for easy identification and perhaps basic treatment steps with phone numbers of hospital etc.

Previous owners have spotted cobras in our garden.

I read vipers are the most venomous and for these bites no pressure bandages should be applied unlike for cobra bites.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have identified a hazard at your home, which is good, however it looks like you are putting the cart before the horse, the first option in the control of that hazrad is Eliminating the hazard—physically removing it—is the most effective hazard control.

I would suggest you look at something like a sonic deterent http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_nkw=sonic+snake+repeller

Then look at removing the type of things that would attract the snakes, e.g tall grass, rocks and debris anything that they would hide under, most importantly anything your kids may lift up when they are playng and exploring around the yard etc..

educate your kids about the danger of snakes and what to do when they see a snake etc...

You then should look at an action plan, if someone does get bitten then as stated by aussieroaming know what hospital has anti venom.

this is a good site as posted by expat brit http://www.healthdir....au/snake-bites

Good luck and lets hope you and your kids dont get bitten

Action Plan:

Kill snake, apply tourniquet to bitten limb, get in car, drive very fast to nearest large hospital taking dead snake also, attempt to keep heartbeat as slow as possible, drink lots of beer after being assured it was only a harmless tree snake, visit temple to apologise for killing snake, sell house with nice garden and buy upper floor condo in city.

Edited by chiang mai

My wife was bitten by a snake a few years ago, she was drunk in a field. Her father ground some sort of root on a sharpening stone and rubbed the juice on the bite. Her foot went black and swelled up, she could not walk for two days. I would recommend if you are bitten go straight to hospital, our local hospital has anti venom. They told me you don't need to know the type of snake that bit you.

Action Plan:

Kill snake, apply tourniquet to bitten limb, get in car, drive very fast to nearest large hospital taking dead snake also, attempt to keep heartbeat as slow as possible, drink lots of beer after being assured it was only a harmless tree snake, visit temple to apologise for killing snake, sell house with nice garden and buy upper floor condo in city.

WRONG !

WHAT you suggest is plain lunacy .............

My wife was bitten by a snake a few years ago, she was drunk in a field. Her father ground some sort of root on a sharpening stone and rubbed the juice on the bite. Her foot went black and swelled up, she could not walk for two days. I would recommend if you are bitten go straight to hospital, our local hospital has anti venom. They told me you don't need to know the type of snake that bit you.

Going to hospital is a very good idea.

Rubbing "root juice" or any other substance into or on to a bite is a VERY bad idea .............

Anti venom is rarely actually required but other forms of treatment may be needed.

Action Plan:

WRONG !

Well perhaps the part about the temple is not a good idea but apart from that it all seems fairly reasonable, unless of course you can actually point to a part that is inadvisable AND EXPLAIN WHY, rather than just screaming like a girl!

I would recommend if you are bitten go straight to hospital, our local hospital has anti venom. They told me you don't need to know the type of snake that bit you.

You were misinformed. Knowing the snake type is very important. Antivenins are only specific to a particular snake, or very narrow range of snakes. Antivenins are nasty substances, with a high risk of an adverse reaction. You can't simply inject all of them and hope for the best.

A dead snake is the best for identification, but you shouldn't attempt to kill the snake if there's any chance you're going to get bitten again. Just try and get a good look at it. Notice the shape of the head, the profile of the body, the colouring top and bottom, &c., &c..

Hospitals do not stock antivenin, you must contact red cross urgently and hope that they reply, this is Thailand...

Incorrect. Government hospitals do. Private hospitals don't.

Incorrect: No Hospitals Government or Public hold anti venom in our neck of the woods. Their reason? Victims can rarely identify what bit them. Feable excuse I know but that is the answer we have had from 3 hosptials in the area.

Action Plan:

WRONG !

Well perhaps the part about the temple is not a good idea but apart from that it all seems fairly reasonable, unless of course you can actually point to a part that is inadvisable AND EXPLAIN WHY, rather than just screaming like a girl!

This is wrong and so very dangerous. Please look at the previous post which provides the link to the (Australian) snake bite management process.

Action Plan:

WRONG !

'Upper floor Condo' not a good idea.

I've read of more deaths from falls from balconies than from snake bites.

I took a friend to a hospital near buriram who had been bitten by something ,it left 2 holes like a snake bite ,the hospital was 30 minutes hard driving away ,they wanted to know names of parents addresses of everyone and who's paying before they would even look at the bite ,we were at the hospital 1 hour before someone looked at it ,had to wait in a queue,unbelievable.after a further hour my friend said he's going home ,scared he would catch a disease at the hospital ,dirty disgusting place ,people spitting and dropping food and plasters on the floor

I took a friend to a hospital near buriram who had been bitten by something ,it left 2 holes like a snake bite ,the hospital was 30 minutes hard driving away ,they wanted to know names of parents addresses of everyone and who's paying before they would even look at the bite ,we were at the hospital 1 hour before someone looked at it ,had to wait in a queue,unbelievable.after a further hour my friend said he's going home ,scared he would catch a disease at the hospital ,dirty disgusting place ,people spitting and dropping food and plasters on the floor

I have heard/read that sometimes a snake will strike but not inject, just a sort of leave me alone type response. I don't think I would rely on it though. Best to get attention and as said before in other posts identification is critical.

Make some enquiries to find out the nearest hospital that stocks anti-vemon is probably the only action plan you can have. A dog could be useful as well, as a dog in the garden is likely to see a snake and bark loudly and warn you...the dog is also likely to get bitten on the snout and die. Could be a useful indicator, if you find your dog stone cold dead with 2 small puncture wounds on its nose then there are vemonous snakes around.

The strange thing is. I have been here 16 years and only seen one snake bite. That was in pattaya. It was on here pinky finger by a small green snake. I have lived in Issan almost exclusively. But traveled all over Thailand. seen one Thai man who was venomayed by a spitting Cobra in his eyes. We have many many snakes on the 15 rai fruit farm. King Cobras included its very rural I think these snakes are all so deadly you would never make it to a big hospital. Three hours away

Make some enquiries to find out the nearest hospital that stocks anti-vemon is probably the only action plan you can have. A dog could be useful as well, as a dog in the garden is likely to see a snake and bark loudly and warn you...the dog is also likely to get bitten on the snout and die. Could be a useful indicator, if you find your dog stone cold dead with 2 small puncture wounds on its nose then there are vemonous snakes around.

Generally Thai dogs will bark but not go near a snake or will in fact kill snakes, seen it done.

Pedigree imported dogs have no instinctive knowledge of snakes and will go for a good sniff and and get bitten.

You have identified a hazard at your home, which is good, however it looks like you are putting the cart before the horse, the first option in the control of that hazrad is Eliminating the hazard—physically removing it—is the most effective hazard control.

I would suggest you look at something like a sonic deterent http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_nkw=sonic+snake+repeller

Then look at removing the type of things that would attract the snakes, e.g tall grass, rocks and debris anything that they would hide under, most importantly anything your kids may lift up when they are playng and exploring around the yard etc..

educate your kids about the danger of snakes and what to do when they see a snake etc...

You then should look at an action plan, if someone does get bitten then as stated by aussieroaming know what hospital has anti venom.

this is a good site as posted by expat brit http://www.healthdir....au/snake-bites

Good luck and lets hope you and your kids dont get bitten

mate they dont work, havent you seen the pic circulating of a snake curled up on top of one warning people they DO NOT WORK, same as the sonic repellents for mice, insects etc they are simply a rip off designed to suck people in and waste their money. Better off getting the snake netting and putting it all around the fence line, it actually catches the snake as they try to go through it, dont know if its available here but works great in Australia.

My wife has 3 rai of land on the outskirts of Nakhon Phanom. Until 5 or 6 weeks ago, I saw a snake close to the house every couple of days, but I don't know what kind they were. By the time I got my camera ready, they were gone. However, in the past month I haven't seen a single snake, and the wife claims that that is because one of the neighbours has acquired a family of cats. There are always a couple of cats around, but I would have thought that a cat was less of a threat to a snake than a dog. Could the missus be right or should I check my eyesight?

I would recommend if you are bitten go straight to hospital, our local hospital has anti venom. They told me you don't need to know the type of snake that bit you.

You were misinformed. Knowing the snake type is very important. Antivenins are only specific to a particular snake, or very narrow range of snakes. Antivenins are nasty substances, with a high risk of an adverse reaction. You can't simply inject all of them and hope for the best.

A dead snake is the best for identification, but you shouldn't attempt to kill the snake if there's any chance you're going to get bitten again. Just try and get a good look at it. Notice the shape of the head, the profile of the body, the colouring top and bottom, &c., &c..

or.... pull out the mobile phone an take a pic

The World is running out of snake anti-venom. It is difficult and expensive to manufacture so big pharma aren't really interested in it. Hospitals these days tend not to use anti-venom but treat the patients symptoms as that occur such as paralysis or anti blood clotting. is the world running out of snake venom