Been bitten by a snake? General Treatment? Action Plan?

Chuckles78

Make some enquiries to find out the nearest hospital that stocks anti-vemon is probably the only action plan you can have. A dog could be useful as well, as a dog in the garden is likely to see a snake and bark loudly and warn you...the dog is also likely to get bitten on the snout and die. Could be a useful indicator, if you find your dog stone cold dead with 2 small puncture wounds on its nose then there are vemonous snakes around.

Generally Thai dogs will bark but not go near a snake or will in fact kill snakes, seen it done.

Pedigree imported dogs have no instinctive knowledge of snakes and will go for a good sniff and and get bitten.

The Thai dogs here go after snakes with a vengeance. I've seen them kill 3. They truly know what they are doing. My US dog has no clue and no interest in

the snake.

But more in topic, when a snake bites it is the chewing that ensues that injects the poison. So it's imperative to get them off of you ASAP. Snakesinthailand.com recommends carrying Listerine and pour it on the snakes head. They will release immediately. Then get to a hospital immediately.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

here is the best and really the only method of treating a snake bite....then get the patient to a hospital. Never under any circumstances kill the snake....WHY? Because you will most likely be bitten again! Never under any circumstances apply a tourniquet.....WHY? Because most people will lose there limb because people don't know how to apply them! Never cut or suck the bite site....WHY? Because you risk causing more damage and faster venom absorption and if you suck you will be envenomated as well......derrrrrrr!

https://www.health.qld.gov.au/poisonsinformationcentre/bites_stings/bs_pressure.asp

You have identified a hazard at your home, which is good, however it looks like you are putting the cart before the horse, the first option in the control of that hazrad is Eliminating the hazard—physically removing it—is the most effective hazard control.

I would suggest you look at something like a sonic deterent http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_nkw=sonic+snake+repeller

Then look at removing the type of things that would attract the snakes, e.g tall grass, rocks and debris anything that they would hide under, most importantly anything your kids may lift up when they are playng and exploring around the yard etc..

educate your kids about the danger of snakes and what to do when they see a snake etc...

You then should look at an action plan, if someone does get bitten then as stated by aussieroaming know what hospital has anti venom.

this is a good site as posted by expat brit http://www.healthdir....au/snake-bites

Good luck and lets hope you and your kids dont get bitten

We have killed more than a hundred snakes on our property in the past 18 years. We live on the edge of the city. The problem is compounded by a neighbor with about 1 acre of yard across the street from our location that has never been cut. I was bitten by a striped bronze snake about 10 years ago. Luckily he struck the end of my big toe that had a callous on it, I was able to treat the wound and it healed quickly. My advice for those with seeing snakes on their property is to purchase a copy of the snake book Ngoo Thai Lai Chanit (sorry but it is Thai only). There are clear photos showing 182 species off snakes in Thailand. Each photo is accompanied by its category and lists the category and level of danger and other such information. The book has diagrams under each photo of the snake species with general locations and regions of Thailand where the species are located. 90 of these snakes are venomous, many are only mildly so. If the diagram indicates front fangs it is highly venomous.Two more are constrictors which kill by squeezing its victims. My friend was a snake handler who did twice daily shows at Ta Klang Elephant Study Center in Surin Province and I spent a lot of time with him. Last fall when I went by to see him I learned that he had just died a week befire from a cobra bite.

I would recommend if you are bitten go straight to hospital, our local hospital has anti venom. They told me you don't need to know the type of snake that bit you.

You were misinformed. Knowing the snake type is very important. Antivenins are only specific to a particular snake, or very narrow range of snakes. Antivenins are nasty substances, with a high risk of an adverse reaction. You can't simply inject all of them and hope for the best.

A dead snake is the best for identification, but you shouldn't attempt to kill the snake if there's any chance you're going to get bitten again. Just try and get a good look at it. Notice the shape of the head, the profile of the body, the colouring top and bottom, &c., &c..

This was taken from the Australian website mentioned earlier which is quite informative. I don't know if a ‘venom detection’ kit is available in Thailand :

Snake identification

Identification of venomous snakes can be made from venom present on clothing or the skin using a so called ‘venom detection’ kit. For this reason do not wash or suck the bite or discard clothing.

It’s not recommended to kill the snake for purposes of identification, because medical services do not rely on visual identification of the snake species.

http://www.healthdirect.gov.au/snake-bites

Action Plan:

Kill snake, apply tourniquet to bitten limb, get in car, drive very fast to nearest large hospital taking dead snake also, attempt to keep heartbeat as slow as possible, drink lots of beer after being assured it was only a harmless tree snake, visit temple to apologise for killing snake, sell house with nice garden and buy upper floor condo in city.

WRONG !

WHAT you suggest is plain lunacy .............

Seems that some people on here have had a humour bypass.

Action Plan:

Kill snake, apply tourniquet to bitten limb, get in car, drive very fast to nearest large hospital taking dead snake also, attempt to keep heartbeat as slow as possible, drink lots of beer after being assured it was only a harmless tree snake, visit temple to apologise for killing snake, sell house with nice garden and buy upper floor condo in city.

WRONG !

The subject of snake bites is quite serious and I understand the op's concerns and desire to be proactive about the situation.

The injection of a little harmless humour imo, adds to the thread.

Action Plan:

WRONG !

Can't you feel your leg getting longer.

Action Plan:

WRONG !

Well perhaps the part about the temple is not a good idea but apart from that it all seems fairly reasonable, unless of course you can actually point to a part that is inadvisable AND EXPLAIN WHY, rather than just screaming like a girl!

Instead of SHOUTING try opening the link .... and READING the content

http://www.healthdirect.gov.au/snake-bites

Just had a friend sharing this today:

»

There are lots of snakes in Thailand and some are poisonous. This article from the Australian Government gives some useful tips on bites. Snakes are not naturally aggressive unless cornered and threatened. Often they give dry bites. To find out more read this useful article.
«

We are already taking preventative measures around the house/garden. Clearing some bushes, big rocks etc snakes may hide.

I will look at getting the snake netting as suggested. We have a big fence but snake are good climbers.

Also we are looking for some dogs. We have one cat already which previous owners said will point out snakes by jumping around like crazy.

I will enquire to local hospitals which are the best to treat snake bites, availably of anti venon.

I will still make a poster with top most dangerous snakes, basic treatment and where to go (in a panic situation I imagine people may not think clearly).

We had the pest control guys do sprinkle deterrent against snakes. Neighbours say its a waste of money. Those electronic devices are useless also.

Pressure bandage is a very bad thing if bitten by a viper as it will concentrate all the venom into one area destroying all cells and melting bone! yet pressure bandage are good against other bites.

Thanks for the tips and links! Keep em coming :)

Edited by Dieter78

You have identified a hazard at your home, which is good, however it looks like you are putting the cart before the horse, the first option in the control of that hazrad is Eliminating the hazard—physically removing it—is the most effective hazard control.

I would suggest you look at something like a sonic deterent http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_nkw=sonic+snake+repeller

Then look at removing the type of things that would attract the snakes, e.g tall grass, rocks and debris anything that they would hide under, most importantly anything your kids may lift up when they are playng and exploring around the yard etc..

educate your kids about the danger of snakes and what to do when they see a snake etc...

You then should look at an action plan, if someone does get bitten then as stated by aussieroaming know what hospital has anti venom.

this is a good site as posted by expat brit http://www.healthdir....au/snake-bites

A shot gun with bird shot works for me

An educational visit to the Queen Saovabha Memorial Institute (Snake Farm) on Rama 4 near the immigration office would be a good start. Kids love it too.

Advice line 1669, but not sure the number is still current.

Edited by Jonathon

Action Plan:

I know your post is a light hearted one, but point #1 maybe a problem if o served.

Most snakebites are caused whilt trying to lill or catch a snake.

It may go like this. A person is bitten by a snake, so his friend tries to catch or kill the snake, and is bitten. Now you have two people with snakebites! You could then ask another to catch or kill the snake, and...........where does it stop?

Action Plan:

I know your post is a light hearted one, but point #1 maybe a problem if o served.

It may go like this. A person is bitten by a snake, so his friend tries to catch or kill the snake, and is bitten. Now you have two people with snakebites! You could then ask another to catch or kill the snake, and...........where does it stop?

"...where does it stop"?

Logically it stops when everyone has been bitten and man has developed immunity to snake venom and snakes are no longer a threat to mankind. After you! laugh.png

Action Plan:

We have killed more than a hundred snakes on our property in the past 18 years. We live on the edge of the city. The problem is compounded by a neighbor with about 1 acre of yard across the street from our location that has never been cut. I was bitten by a striped bronze snake about 10 years ago. Luckily he struck the end of my big toe that had a callous on it, I was able to treat the wound and it healed quickly. My advice for those with seeing snakes on their property is to purchase a copy of the snake book Ngoo Thai Lai Chanit (sorry but it is Thai only). There are clear photos showing 182 species off snakes in Thailand. Each photo is accompanied by its category and lists the category and level of danger and other such information. The book has diagrams under each photo of the snake species with general locations and regions of Thailand where the species are located. 90 of these snakes are venomous, many are only mildly so. If the diagram indicates front fangs it is highly venomous.Two more are constrictors which kill by squeezing its victims. My friend was a snake handler who did twice daily shows at Ta Klang Elephant Study Center in Surin Province and I spent a lot of time with him. Last fall when I went by to see him I learned that he had just died a week befire from a cobra bite.

I used to have an English language book on Thai snakes, unfortunately gone missing. Was about 100mm x 200mm with a light green soft cover and a matching picture of a tree viper. Came from Asia books as I remember.

Action Plan:

WRONG !

No sense of humour. Come on, a good laugh for the day.

You should indeed verify which hospitals in your area stock antivenom. A provincial government hospital almost always will but smaller district hhosputals might5 or might not and you don't want to lose time getting to the right place.

Identification of the snake IS very important as antivenoms are snake specific. usually after biting a snake is letghargic and will be found not far away. If possible, kill it & bring it with you, or else a pix.

Immediate first aid: immobilize the area that was bitten with a splint and apply ice if ready to hand (no tourniquet) but don't delay travel to a hospital to get it. Try to keep everybody calm (the hardest part!). Remember that even if the snake was a poisonous one, they do not always envenomate when they bite. En route to the hospital have someone keep a close eye on the victim's breathing as the greatest danger is respiratory arrest (see below).

Cobras and kraits are the most deadly as their venom is a neurotoxin and can kill in a fairly short time (i.e. an hour -- King cobras even quicker but they are mainly found in deep jungle, whereas their non-royal kinfolk can be found anywhere). Vipers have a different sort of venom (hemorrhagic effects), it can if untreated kill or lead to loss of a limb but it is a slower process and plenty of time to get to a medical facility (i.e. a day or more).

In the unlikely event one of your children is bitten by a cobra or krait and stops breathing before arrival at a medical facility, apply artrifical respiration (worth learning if you don't already know how). The breathing will stop due to paralysis of the respiratory muscles, the heart is OK and still beating (unless the person remains without oxygen for more than a few minutes) and if you can sustain artificial respiration until medical care is available can usually keep the person alive. The person in this state can BTW still hear everything but not speak as they are paralyzed so speak soothingly to them.

The majority of snakes around are non-poisonous, and Thais I find tend to say every snake is a cobra. Also, snakes will not usually attack unless they feel threatened and even then will usually flee if possible. The biggest risk is if you step on them or (in the case of a small child) grab at them. So teach the kids never to touch or grab at a snake and to watch where they are going when walking through tall grass etc.

Lastly, if you don't have a dog, get one -- they will usually bark at snakes and drive them away. Mine does, anyhow.

Action Plan:

"...where does it stop"?

Logically it stops when everyone has been bitten and man has developed immunity to snake venom and snakes are no longer a threat to mankind. After you! laugh.png

I don't see a problem then. In about 40 generations, 1000 years, more or less, evolution will take care of the problem.

But for me, I'll just have to be extra careful for my remaining 25 years or so, more or less.

Action Plan:

WRONG !

No sense of humour. Come on, a good laugh for the day.

Nearly got it right though. Drink lots of beer whether bitten or not, skip the temple visit and apology, and spend that time drinking more beer.

What an evening it's been for problem solving as I lie in my hospital bed after a morning hip replacement. I can now be addressed as the 'Ceramic Man'.

Action Plan:

There are still plenty of snakes in upper floor condos.biggrin.png

In Thailand snakes are part of the landscape, and probably have lot more than you can imagine in your garden and around...but..most are not deadly dangerous. Most snakes only bites if somebody step on, or touch them. The snake instinct is to hide and look for protection. The most common not dangerous snakes in Thailand are the called tree snakes. Some are black with white stripes, and some light green with a fine yellow line on its belly. Also the most common rules is that if the snake head is long and narrow is not dangerous. Cobras heads are round. You are more inclined to get bites from snake babies, or even from adult snakes of those types that many times are just on houses bushes. The bite may gave you an inflammation, that can be treated with antibiotics and anti inflammations. The best prevention is not to have food around for them, like rats or lizards, and to have the walls or fences around the house without vegetation, specially if borders with empty land, a rice field, or plantations. The very small clinics, close to your home, may give you best assistance than any hospital, and sometimes even attendance after hours if it is an emergency. Get the doctor phone number. At least, that it is what I used when I got a bite cleaning my garden. I felt it, but didn't saw any snake. The following day my hand was a painful ball. The clinic's doctor told me that was a snake bite, probably a small one. Gave my some medication, and in 2 days, everything was normal again. With kids around, the other good solution, is to adopt a soi dog to play with them. Soi dogs are good hunters by instinct and taste. If it is any small animal or snake living in your garden, or passing by, you will know for sure...and any snake will look for a safer garden than yours.

Do not kill an inoffensive snake. Just call somebody to remove it from your house, and learn to live in peace with them. Take care.