European ambassadors, Phuket governor discuss tourism

webfact

TOURISM
Envoys, Phuket governor discuss tourism

THE NATION

30273587-01_big.jpg?1448313578386

PHUKET: -- FIVE European ambassadors have asked the governor of Phuket to step up security and safety precautions for tourists and expatriates, while addressing other issues ranging from lack of standard tariffs for services to narcotics and crime problems.

Chamrern Tipyapongthada, governor of Phuket, which is the country's second most popular tourist destination after Bangkok, met with ambassadors from the United Kingdom, Germany, Canada, the Netherlands and Ireland.

He told the diplomats that local authorities would, for example, ensure that foreigners who rented motor vehicles, jet skis and other equipment for land and water sports, were properly covered by insurance issued by local service providers.

In addition, the European ambassadors said tariffs for various services should be standardised, as they were in Bangkok, so that foreign visitors were charged fairly. Chamrern said the Phuket authorities would provide more information to expatriates who wanted to invest in the tourist resort's properties.

Chamrern said the European ambassadors raised concerns about road traffic as well as beach and water sport safety. Concerns were also expressed about visitors with visa problems, especially in the wake of a recent murder case in Koh Tao, Surat Thani province, where a couple of young British visitors were killed.

In the past few years, the number of European arrivals in Phuket - which generates the second highest source of tourism revenue after Bangkok - has dropped due to political and economic factors. Industry sources said arrivals were projected to be less than 10 million this year, compared to the peak of more than 12 million a few years ago.

The Euro zone's economic crisis has contributed to fewer tourist arrivals, especially from Italy and Spain, while Thailand's prolonged political unrest has led to problems with insurance cover for some visitors. British tourists are among the largest number of European visitors, with nearly one million arrivals in Thailand in 2014, followed by Germany's 700,000 and France's 600,000.

Overall, Thailand's tourist arrivals are expected to total 28.8 million this year, generating a combined Bt1.6 trillion in revenue.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Envoys-Phuket-governor-discuss-tourism-30273587.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-11-24

Phuket security, safety, jet-skis under fire during ‘Five Ambassadors’ visit
Tanyaluk Sakoot

1448277732_1-org.jpg
The ambassadorial delegation raised serious concerns about jet-skis at Phuket's beaches. Photo: Tanyaluk Sakoot

PHUKET: Tourists and foreign residents’ personal security, safety, beach tourism sustainability, jet-skis, taxis and tuk-tuks were all highlighted as ongoing issues of concern by five European ambassadors in talks with Phuket Governor Chamroen Tipayapongtada today (Nov 23).

The high-powered ambassadorial delegation comprised Mark Kent of the UK; Brendan Rogers of Ireland; Philip Calvert of Canada; Karel Hartogh of the Netherlands and Peter Prugel of Germany.

Speaking after a 90-minute closed-door meeting, British Ambassador Kent told the press, “We had a good meeting today. We explained that we are ready to support the Phuket Governor in his efforts in making Phuket one of the most attractive tourism destinations in the world.

“There is still work to do but the Governor has set out his attention to work on these issues.”

But that requires focus on three main areas that need attention, Amb Kent noted.

“One of these is safety, whether that be people on motorbikes, jet-skis or boats; and even water quality. We want them [tourists] to be safe.

“The second area is the reputation of Phuket as a tourism destination. It still has a good image for tourists, but some of the behaviour and the prices charged by tuk-tuk and taxi drivers has led to a fall in confidence and a drop in tourists because they’re a little bit scared about what has happened, so we think this needs to be addressed,” he added.

“Third is the areas around the provision of government services such as visas and work permits for residents and some of the issues around property need to be tackled so there is clarity and transparency and no demand for additional fees which are not stipulated.”

“British tourists to Thailand still come here a lot. It is one of our most popular tourist destinations. We have one million tourists come every year, and the number of tourists to Phuket remains high.

“It is beautiful place. That’s why we want to work for mutual benefit with the governor and officials here to ensure that remains the case, that it remains a very good source of economic benefit for the locals who live here and a safe, enjoyable tourist destination for our tourists.”

Regarding jet-skis, Amb Kent noted, “We are aware that there some issues that need to be tackled.

“It is important to not just have the regulations, but to also ensure that the regulations are enforced and that the jet-ski owners act in an appropriate manner,” he said.

Going Dutch

Netherlands Ambassador Hartogh rated beach safety, beach management, accommodations, competitive pricing, including that of taxis and tuk-tuks, and specifically targeted jet-skis as key areas of concern.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-security-safety-jet-skis-under-fire-during-five-ambassadors-visit-55091.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-11-24

Talks been going on for years..... sigh.

I've got to agree. If you look back one year, five years and ten years, these same issues arise every time and the same lip service is paid, yet nothing is actually done. There's just too much tea money going around for anyone involved to rock the boat, unfortunately. A prime example is Marine park 5 who "threaten" to ban jet skis if any more accidents occur, then when multiple accidents occur, the same words get repeated. At the rumoured 1000 baht per day per ski, there's no wonder why jet skis are getting preferential treatment.

I've lived on Phuket for nearly six years.

I don't know how many governors have come and gone in that time, but it seems there has been a new one almost yearly.

I can't recall that any of them have brought real, positive change to the Island despite the numerous talk feasts to which they seem addicted. Please refresh my memory if you know of something. I don't even know what official power or influence they have with local mayors or prominent entrepreneurial families.

I do know several vice-governors have been associated with land scams.

Edited by Old Croc

I wait patiently for the information on foreign property investment in Thailand will work since the courts trip over themselves to protect illegal money lenders and banks who ard used to scam investors with no likelihood of return. Until the courts and laws protect investors above the cheats and illegal money lenders, money laundering banks and other reprobates instead of decisions based on race and Thai Rak Thai investment here is a hiding to nothing. Actually there is so much structurally wrong with the corruption in the police, cheating Thai lawyers and an archaic law code with no concept of the principles of justice understood by the lower court judges oftentimes that it will be a long time before enough change in attitudes and regulations make any investment in Thsiland at all safe

I don't know how many governors have come and gone in that time, but it seems there has been a new one almost yearly.

I can't recall that any of them have brought real, positive change to the Island despite the numerous talk feasts to which they seem addicted. Please refresh my memory if you know of something. I don't even know what official power or influence they have with local mayors or prominent entrepreneurial families.

Yes and several governors have been investigated as well. Phuket is a pit of corruption run by scumbag cheats from top to bottom and in every conceivable organization both public and private. The extent of the corruption and criminal fraud is much wider than most understand. And it is supported by the justice system by corruption within the segments of that system starting with the police

Exactly right ... revolving governors means regular envelopes (and we are talking big fat envelopes) for those people in central governemnt who allocate the provincial governors. And each governor is only intested in making his money back with a profit in his short stay here = nothing ever improves = status quo. The local mayors and prominent families continue to give envelopes to the govenor and everyone (except) the tourists) is happy.

Just another bunch of look important, feel important ?? you know going through the political motions to justify they their bloated salaries and their hand me down jobs. I have watched this same crap for all my years and it is going from nauseous to sickening.This drivel just never ends.

Just another bunch of look important, feel important ?? you know going through the political motions to justify they their bloated salaries and their hand me down jobs. I have watched this same crap for all my years and it is going from nauseous to sickening.This drivel just never ends.

You're referring to the local politicians and not the foreign contingent, correct? Seems the foreign contingent actually wants to make things better, whereas the local yes men just like to offer up lip service.

Seriously, why do the Farang even bother. A friend told me how bad it was, and that was nearly 20 years ago. I changed my plans, went to BKK, with a side trip to Koh Samet instead, and had a blast. Before Samet too, was spoiled by greed and over development.

Q: How many Phuket governors does it take to change a light bulb? A:hand me that fat wad of an envelope, and I'll see what I can do, but no promises!

You're referring to the local politicians and not the foreign contingent, correct? Seems the foreign contingent actually wants to make things better, whereas the local yes men just like to offer up lip service.

As a trusting ex voter who has been betrayed by every single politician I ever believed, I find it highly dubious that these ambassadors even have the time to bother with Phuket when all hell is breaking loose back home. But, like many voters who seemingly never learn, they live in a rosy world of their own. Only the Thais can sort out their own problems, when they decide the price of corruption is too high for society to continue to pay, and until that day comes, forget about it.

Same old song.

Belting out theories, intent on being listened too but no backbone to back it up and the usual 'all talk no action' which all pales into significance once the meetings are over. These storm in a tea cup venues, tend to leave one with a toxic taste after teasing the same crap year after year.

As a trusting ex voter who has been betrayed by every single politician I ever believed, I find it highly dubious that these ambassadors even have the time to bother with Phuket when all hell is breaking loose back home. But, like many voters who seemingly never learn, they live in a rosy world of their own. Only the Thais can sort out their own problems, when they decide the price of corruption is too high for society to continue to pay, and until that day comes, forget about it.

"when they decide the price of corruption is too high for society to continue to pay, and until that day comes, forget about it." - any they will continue to destroy the tourism industry on Phuket "untill that day comes."

"when they decide the price of corruption is too high for society to continue to pay, and until that day comes, forget about it." - any they will continue to destroy the tourism industry on Phuket "untill that day comes."

You're talking about 'the Thais' as though they were one homogeneous mass, they aren't. There are as many Thais opposed to corruption as we are with about as much power to actually stop it. Unless they are already 'unusually rich' that is, which is still the minority. There needs to be a shift away from fear of reprisals for speaking out. Doing away with the notorious defamation laws would be a good start.

Edited by dageurreotype