Foreigner Seriously Injured in Central Pattaya Road Accident

webfact

For what it's worth, most Thais do not put helmets on their children. Usually, the adults do not wear helmets either.

Spot on, some time ago I had a gf that used to drive around with the helmet in the basket, mind boggling.
looking unglamorous trumps death or vegetative state for a lot of people, male and female. Edited by dhream

A 200 baht Big C helmet would not help much in an accident like this, you might as well put a plastic bucket over your head. A real certified helmet would cost around 4-5000 baht, some farangs that own bikes here are smart enough and buy them but most tourists just rent a bike and wear a "plastic bucket" as protection. I would never ride a bike here, I feel much safer in my car.

Edited by balo

The police do set up road blocks and regularly stop motorcyclists for not wearing helmets. Most motorcyclists are aware of this and most have probably been stopped at some point.

However, fining them 100/200baht does nothing to make them change their ways.

Make it 5,000/10,000baht and word would spread like wildfire. there would be very few that did not in future wear helmets.

And for all the idiots who say TOO MUCH FOR THAIS, realise that Thai or non Thai, nobody has to pay if they wear a helmet and do not break the law.

I think you will agree that the traffic laws in Vietnam are very effective in ensuring that circa 99% of riders (and passengers) wear helmets.

Do you know how much the statutory fine is in that country ?

I'm guessing the penalty is banishment to Thailand, and Charlie is Like: Sweet Jeezus no! Anything but that, I'll even wear a tutu just don't make me ride There!

If he wasnt wearing a helmet its unlikely any insurance company will pay out expecially for head trauma.

It's clearly written in almost ALL insurance policies that they WILL NOT cover you if your riding a motorbike in this country, as a passenger wearing a helmet YES you are covered.

Actuaries live and breathe the numbers to reduce their payouts to the nth possibility. If they flatly refuse, then one may as well sign up for Syria with the French Foreign Legion, or be a drug mule, at least youll get paid for having your nuts in a sling.

The funny thing is in the USA in many states helmets are optional but is some of those same

states eye protection (glasses) are mandatory. Up to you but I try to keep the speed down,

wear a helmet and eye protection and ride defensively. Even then I have had numerous

close calls with baht busses, cement trucks, busses, cars, (driven by Thais and Farangs)

and mini busses. Not sure if I have missed any one but if I have feel free to add to the list.

Oh yes scooters driving against traffic. The roads are dangerous, end of story. coffee1.gif

hmmm... police call for help to identify the man but no photo of his face or passport are published. oh well...

If they have his passport they won't need to know from a public appeal, if they photograph his busted head, no one apart from his travelling mates, or family, if he is an expat, who would contact the police sooner or later anyway, will identify him. Have you considered a career with the highest levels of Government here? You'd fit right in.

hmmm... police call for help to identify the man but no photo of his face or passport are published. oh well...

If they have his passport they won't need to know from a public appeal, if they photograph his busted head, no one apart from his travelling mates, or family, if he is an expat, who would contact the police sooner or later anyway, will identify him. Have you considered a career with the highest levels of Government here? You'd fit right in.

"and contact his relatives" the police also asked.

Passport doesn't provide this and maybe the guy lives on his own...

I will need an aide de camp in my government post...

I get very irritated when I see westerners riding motorbikes with no helmet and often no shirt (to show off the tats I suppose). I seem to recall reading that not wearing a shirt was, in itself, an 'offence'.

I know there is no simple answer that will solve this, but we can hardly criticise the Thai's when many farangs set examples like this.

Just had to get that off my chest! thumbsup.gif

Holidaymakers should be warned about bikes and jetskis. Just DON'T. I know many ignore, but at least some may realise the extreme risks. I finally realise why they insist on holding one's passport,where the hotel merely take a copy, apart from it being almost as stupid as hiring a bike, they reckon odds on ypu won't be needing it anyway, you're going home 'gift wrapped' for mum.

Actually the back page or at least one other of almost every passport in the world has a space for not one, butin the case of the UK, two contacts details, for in case of an emergency. People like you, are why people like me have to live in nanny states, and even then, you have no clue. You don't need an AdC, Minister, you need a brain, why don't you quit while I'm ahead? Edited by dhream

I really don't care if motorcyclists don't wear a helmet, and nor should the police who could be dealing with more important things like drunk drivers. If he or she has an accident the only person they injure or kill is themselves. They gamble and sometimes lose. Having a law in Thailand that a helmet must be worn is completely pointless as most Thais do whatever they want anyway. It's a cultural thing. In Thailand probably 95 do not wear a helmet. My observation in Bali, where it is also the law to wear one, 95 percent do.

As they do in Vietnam. Yet they ride on footpaths, and when i queried this, was told it is against the law, but it is a cultural thing!!!

Actually the back page of almost every passport in the world has a space for not one, but two contacts in an emergency. People like you, are why people like me have to live in nanny states, and even then, you have no clue. You don't need an AdC, Minister, you need a brain, why don't you quit while I'm ahead?

nice try !

I admit I was sceptical of this, but you made me look at my passports just to be sure and as I expected none has such a page.

Nanny states are one of my pet peeves, actually.

I might make you secretary of state instead of aide de camp. Still not interested?

Edited by manarak

There is a page in the passport for the names of next-of-kin. I have mine filled in.

"It's clearly written in almost ALL insurance policies that they WILL NOT cover you if your riding a motorbike in this country, as a passenger wearing a helmet YES you are covered."

This is not the case in Australia where I have been taking out travel insurance with various companies for 15 years. Some insist on a valid australian bike licence, some also insist on a licence for the country you ride in. Most restrict you to 125cc, but one I had let u ride 250cc with ozzie licence. I have found a few that have no bike cover anywhere but I have never had a problem, Virgin Money and Budget Direct are 2 that I have used regularly.

Actually the back page of almost every passport in the world has a space for not one, but two contacts in an emergency. People like you, are why people like me have to live in nanny states, and even then, you have no clue. You don't need an AdC, Minister, you need a brain, why don't you quit while I'm ahead?

nice try !

I admit I was sceptical of this, but you made me look at my passports just to be sure and as I expected none has such a page.

Nanny states are one of my pet peeves, actually.

I might make you secretary of state instead of aide de camp. Still not interested?

all three of my passports have chips. All three still have an analog page for adding a contact. Where you from, Bulshitistan?

I have several EU citizenships and while all of my passports have chips, none have a contacts or next of kin page.

It's funny how you generalize from one example. For someone who likes to appear clever, you fail the critical thinking test.

The funny thing is in the USA in many states helmets are optional but is some of those same states eye protection (glasses) are mandatory.

Makes perfect sense from a personal liberties/ protecting the public standpoint. If you don't wear eye protection, you're a hazard to everyone if you take something in your eye at 100 MPH. If you don't wear a helmet, you're only putting yourself at risk.

If you are too STUPID to wear a helmet on a motorbike in Thailand, then suffer the consequences. No sympathy whatsoever.

That's a little harsh.

Wearing a helmet when driving a scooter in the wee hours in Thailand is like putting on a condom to get it on with a crack whore.

Probably a good idea, but the bad decision has already been made long before the protection is applied.

Strapping yourself onto 2 wheels increases your chances of being killed by 2,000-4,000% over riding in a 4 wheeler. Putting on the helmet reduces that by 40%,

Full disclosure: I ride around on scooters all the time (I don't drive one- motosai taxis). If I have a helmet, I wear it. If I don't have one with me, I don't wear one. I don't fool myself into believing I'm safe with a helmet. Safer, sure. Safe, nope.

My chances of being killed are probably 1 in 10,000,000 (1km) trips with the helmet, and 1 in 6,000,000 trips without. Minuscule either way. And just about equally stupid.

Edited by impulse

Its unfortunate ,but if the average Thai drivers brains were made of dynamite it would not blow their helmet off (even if they had no chinstrap done up)sad.png

Many, many years ago, before we knew any better, a friend and I rented a couple Honda 600 cc Steed bikes for a border run to Koh Kong.

It was a cool adventure.

Anyhow, we had barely gotten out of Pattaya & onto Sukh. when I saw him pull over & do a U-turn in my mirrors.He had sneezed & his cheap Thai-style helmet had popped off his head, so he was headed back to get it. clap2.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gif

It stayed strapped to the back seat for the rest of the trip, as it was utterly useless.

An unlikely tale just to denigrate something Thai but, if it was true, he must have not fastened the chin strap properly. That makes your pal useless, not the helmet.

And the strap must have been functional if it was strapped to the seat for the rest of the trip.

It's clearly written in almost ALL insurance policies that they WILL NOT cover you if your riding a motorbike in this country, as a passenger wearing a helmet YES you are covered.

I think this is nonsense. Each insurance policy needs to be checked but riding a motorcycle 125cc or lower is fine. It isnt specific to driving or pillion. But you have to comply with the law such as wearing a helmet and not drink driving. i just noticed that on my policy im not covered for personal liability on a motorbike, luckily i never intend to ride a bike in Thailand, what am i crazy!? Edited by scubascuba3

If they published his passport photo they'd know who he was!

The chances are high that he had a head injury, then you'd be complaining that they published an insensitive picture.

Oh well...

The police do set up road blocks and regularly stop motorcyclists for not wearing helmets. Most motorcyclists are aware of this and most have probably been stopped at some point.

However, fining them 100/200baht does nothing to make them change their ways.

Make it 5,000/10,000baht and word would spread like wildfire. there would be very few that did not in future wear helmets.

And for all the idiots who say TOO MUCH FOR THAIS, realise that Thai or non Thai, nobody has to pay if they wear a helmet and do not break the law.

The same should apply to all the idiots who drive motorcycles at night with no rear lights

If you are too STUPID to wear a helmet on a motorbike in Thailand, then suffer the consequences. No sympathy whatsoever.

I think you might mean "if you are to STUPID NOT to wear a helmet on a motorbike in Thailand" But got your point anyway and completly agree 100%

He knows what he means, I know what he means and you know what he means---so why comment?