Dual pricing - Anti Rant

Daffy D

Dual pricing complaints comes up quite regularly with Farangs outraged at being charged a few Baht more than locals.

Feelings of discrimination, racist and general attitude of "how dare they do this to me" being the general attitude.

The prices at parks and the like are clearly marked and you get a ticket marked with the price so there is no "scam" What is the satisfaction of making a big fuss at the entrance, upsetting the poor girl in the ticket booth and generally embarrassing yourself and your family.

How about looking at it from the other side?

Thailand is a cheap country, it is one of the reasons people live here and come on holiday. Things are cheap. Farangs live here in big houses and villas with pools with a life style they could never afford in their own country.

OK not every one is in that category but I would bet the majority of ex-pats living in Thailand would be hard pressed to live the same life style back in their own country, but that is not the point of this post.

Thailand being a cheap country stands to reason that local wages are also cheap.

The parks and the like belong to the Thais. A place for local people to see what their country is. A place for parents to take their children and learn about nature and groups school children to learn about their country and all the wonderful things in it.

Now it may come as a surprise to some of the "outraged" Farangs but all these places cost money to run and maintain.

I have no idea how much it costs to maintain a park but I'm sure the few Baht entrance fee does not cover the cost. The "cheap" prices for the locals is so they can visit and enjoy their country and schools can have field trips at prices they can afford.

The "outrageous" prices Farangs have to pay helps to keep the park services running, a small price to pay I think for living in LOS.

So next time you feel like getting outraged at dual pricing just pay up and think of it as a donation to the local community that keeps the parks, zoo's and butterfly farms open at affordable for the local people, after all it is theirs.

You may even feel good about it and get to feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

smile.png

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a job maintaining campgrounds for the U.S. Forest Service in California.

It was very common to hear complaints about the daily fees for using the facilities...many would try to get away without paying at all.***

The fact is, the fees charged only pay for a small percentage of the operation of the campgrounds..

They lose mony, not make it.

** the funny thing was that the poor family with a tent and an old car would always pay, it was the people with RVs worth more than some houses who would try to cheat!

I am pleased that hd provides as so many parks and places of interest as they do.

The higher price we pay as foreiners is still a pretty low price.

If 200 baht, or $5 usd is going to break you...you should probably stay home and think about why you are so poor, and living in a foreign country!

DELETED

As for pricing,
In Thailand Thais are allowed to earn money, and I'm not.
So they should pay more than me, cos I can't top up my earnings whenever I feel like it.

Edited by seedy
Anti Gov't

I agree with you 100%, but I don't like it the way they bring it, (sorry for caps)

Because you are a FARANG you need to PAY MORE.

I was OK with it all once I viewed it as being "standard pricing" for Farangs with a discount applied for Thais.

I cannot argue with Thais getting into the Royal Palace for free, I have no issue, as a foreigner, of having to pay an entry fee.

I was pleasantly surprised that my driving licence got me the Thai 50 Baht discount on the big wheel at Asiatique.

One Post Edited - Forum Rule Violated -

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific
locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or
any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

I'm in favor of dual pricing. For selfish reasons. I like the places I enjoy visiting to keep operating.

If everyone paid the Thai price, the places would be jam packed and they couldn't make enough money to keep operating,

If everyone had to pay the foreigner price, the places would be like ghost towns (foreigner ghettos) and they couldn't make enough money to keep operating.

Cannot disagree. I'm more than happy to plunk down 200 or 400 baht to enjoy and support the national parks and other historic attractions here. On the other hand, dual pricing in the private sector? On day to day items? Hopefully we can agree that is wrong.

Nice post. Now get ready for the onslaught of users that will berate you and your opinion.

I agree with you 100%, but I don't like it the way they bring it, (sorry for caps)

I was OK with it all once I viewed it as being "standard pricing" for Farangs with a discount applied for Thais.

I cannot argue with Thais getting into the Royal Palace for free, I have no issue, as a foreigner, of having to pay an entry fee.

I was pleasantly surprised that my driving licence got me the Thai 50 Baht discount on the big wheel at Asiatique.

Forgot about that. Is it a state run ferris wheel? If not, that's ridiculous.

On day to day items? Hopefully we can agree that is wrong.

Other than the nanny states (where the price is always clearly marked and everyone pays the same price, by God), there are always 2 prices for everyday items.

There's the price for people who know how to negotiate and the price for people who don't. Has very little to do with anything but negotiating skills, which most of us from the nanny states are sadly lacking because the government protects us from ever having to learn. Of course the locals know we generally stink at negotiating, and very few of us prove them wrong.

After being raised in the west, we get our clocks cleaned until we adapt to the market customs of the rest of the world where the price isn't marked at all, and negotiating is part of every transaction (and relationship building). Turns some people off completely and that's sad because it can be a favorable experience and at the very least- an education about the people we've chosen to live among. I used to hate it myself until one day the switch flipped and I started enjoying it, if only for the sport.

Edited by impulse

I like when I go to a restaurant and order the same food as another table and get charged double what they are charged. Because I am rich and I love Thai people and it's always good to be complimented and to be thought of as upper class and to be respected.

My biggest complaint is that chain restaurants do not have a dual pricing system. I almost had a heartache at KFC when they insisted I pay the same prices as the rest of the customers.

On day to day items? Hopefully we can agree that is wrong.

Other than the nanny states (where the price is always clearly marked and everyone pays the same price, by God), there are always 2 prices for everyday items.

There's the price for people who know how to negotiate and the price for people who don't. Has very little to do with anything but negotiating skills, which most of us from the nanny states are sadly lacking because the government protects us from ever having to learn. Of course the locals know we generally stink at negotiating, and very few of us prove them wrong.

After being raised in the west, we get our clocks cleaned until we adapt to the market customs of the rest of the world where the price isn't marked at all, and negotiating is part of every transaction (and relationship building). Turns some people off completely and that's sad because it can be a favorable experience and at the very least- an education about the people we've chosen to live among. I used to hate it myself until one day the switch flipped and I started enjoying it, if only for the sport.

I see the merit of your post, but I don't really feel like haggling on a pad Thai, and I don't always have time to negotiate for a good deal on a bag of chilies. Nor does every vendor. Many times you get the Thai equivalent of "get out of my face" when you try it. Though, maybe were not talking about the same kind of day to day items. Edited by eldragon

If thais love haggling over prices why does a pad thai shop charge everyone 40 baht for a meal but then try and charge a farang 80 baht? I guess they just know that farang very much love the art of negotiation. What I usually do in this situation to gain face is to say "Only 80 baht?" And then hand them a 100 baht tip on top of the 80 baht and say "Aroy mak krap" and then wai them.

I just don't understand why there are so many people on Thai Visa complaining and Thai bashing!

Edited by farang000999

It is just casual racism. If I charged a black person 10 times as much for an ice cream as a white person people would call me all sorts of things.

If you saw a farang beggar on the street would you give him a thousand baht rather than 20 'cause he will need more to buy his food etc etc ?

I have always lived in countries that dont charge at all for entrance into national parks. One of the reasons for this is that the locals there are correctly educated and dont leave masses of discarded garbage everywhere they go, or destroy the facilities in the said parks.

So not only do I not see why I should pay more than Thais to enter a park, I dont see why I should pay at all. So I just dont go to parks and I feel none the worse for it.

As for it being normal for foreigners to pay more because they are richer, I will agree with that when rich Thais are also obliged to pay more than poor ones.

I have always lived in countries that dont charge at all for entrance into national parks. One of the reasons for this is that the locals there are correctly educated and dont leave masses of discarded garbage everywhere they go, or destroy the facilities in the said parks.

So not only do I not see why I should pay more than Thais to enter a park, I dont see why I should pay at all. So I just dont go to parks and I feel none the worse for it.

As for it being normal for foreigners to pay more because they are richer, I will agree with that when rich Thais are also obliged to pay more than poor ones.

As I have to pay 10x the Thai price to enter a National park, I feel I am entitled to leave 10x the litter.

Now when I visit, I take my pickup truck loaded with a weeks garbage to spread around me.

If 200 baht, or $5 usd is going to break you...you should probably stay home and think about why you are so poor, and living in a foreign country!

Nobody has said 200 baht was going to break them. That's is not a rational standard to judge every expense.

People hate the policy because it's RACIST because your race determines the price you pay. It is especially indefensible now that showing a work permit or Thai driver's license doesn't work.

I don't have the right to be racist to people in California just because they're not from California. That is <deleted> crazy and so are you.

Most Thai people who work for a living pay taxes that financially support the government provided services, like maintainance of parks and other attractions

Most farangs living in Thailand that I know pay no taxes to support the Thai government at all.

Is it really discrimination to be expected to pay for the services you use?

I know many farangs are here to TAKE ADVANTAGE of Thailand and the lower cost of living in Thailannd...but please, be reasonable!

seriously, some farangs have really earned the nick name " Cheap Charlie"!

Edited by willyumiii

Most farangs living in Thailand that I know pay no taxes to support the Thai government at all.

Everyone I know pays VAT in Thailand.

(no matter what colour their skin, or their nationality)

Edited by MaeJoMTB

It's not race. It's about being a citizen vs non-citizen. I see this as a benefit for citizens. Its their country. 8 wish I don't hv to pay more but I gladly accept it. Even when I was facing harder times on the past. No one forced me to visit the parks.

Most Thai people who work for a living pay taxes that financially support the government provided services, like maintainance of parks and other attractions

Not only do I pay the VAT mentioned previously but I also pay a lot of import duty on imported items that I buy. I also pay (a little) alcohol duty. When I bought my condo I paid transfer tax.

And on top of that, every single Baht that I have ever spent in Thailand (with the exception of a small amount of bank interest) came from outside the country and so was a net addition to the Thai economy. Most Thais merely pay a small amount of tax on money that is just moving around within the Thai economy, rather than being added to it from outside.

Honestly, if we are talking about financial contributions to the Thai economy I have contributed more than any Thai in average employment ever will. In fair recompense I should not only get free access to parks but I should be driven there by the government in a limo, and given a hot towel and cool drink on arrival.

Nobody has said 200 baht was going to break them. That's is not a rational standard to judge every expense.

People hate the policy because it's RACIST because your race determines the price you pay. It is especially indefensible now that showing a work permit or Thai driver's license doesn't work.

I don't have the right to be racist to people in California just because they're not from California. That is <deleted> crazy and so are you.

California. Lessee. As a senior citizen, I have a lifetime pass to get into your beautiful Yosemite National Park (and any other US national park) for free. You, because you are discriminated against due to age, will pay $25 per carload every time you visit. Or, you can buy an annual pass.

In Anaheim California where Disneyland is, the locals can get a cheap annual pass to Disneyland. That's Disney's way of saying "thank you" for the infrastructure that surrounds the park. The locals pay the taxes that build the roads and other necessities that even make Disneyland possible. There's your dual pricing in your California.

I could give you a lot more examples of dual pricing in the US. I hope your mind isn't made up to reject the notion that the Thais own these Thai parks, can charge whatever they choose, and you can choose whether to go.

Cheers.

I know many farangs are here to TAKE ADVANTAGE of Thailand and the lower cost of living in Thailannd...but please, be reasonable!

seriously, some farangs have really earned the nick name " Cheap Charlie"!

Most farangs I know work for a living and pay more taxes than Thais as they earn more. I once had this argument from a Thai gym owner who charged me double as he said I didn't pay tax. I brought my tax slip in and reminded him that I paid more tax per month than most thais earned in the month. He then used the argument I sweated more and ran on the treadmill faster, so I should pay double. Laughable but true. It is difficult to change the Mindset of people. I would love to know how Thais would feel if there was a line for foreigners at attractions like the London eye etc and they had to pay 200%-400% percent more. Maybe then they would see the point. The trouble with the west is that the countries are liberal and fair with less discrimination.

Forgot about that. Is it a state run ferris wheel? If not, that's ridiculous.
Try the aquarium in the basement of Paragon, difference between Thai and Farang price is about 500 Thb!

I used to be a regular visitor to Ko Samet national park. There foreigners pay, I believe, 10 times what Thais pay

It was always best to avoid weekends, but sometimes that was not possible. It was packed at weekends.

Come Monday morning the amount of rubbish everywhere was more than an eyesore. It was Thai rubbish. Foreigners always disposed of their rubbish corrctly

Why then should foreigners pay for Thais mess?.